• The KillerFrogs

Am I The Only One To Know or The Last One To Know….

asleep003

Anyone who doesn't understand that the SEC is CLEARLY the best league in college football just has their head in the sand IMO. And no, according to ESPN announcers, not every team is outstanding. Literally nobody says that.
Think everyone will agree that the SEC produces the #1 team most every year... which has been dominated by the SEC's Alabama, with occasionally some years the 2 best teams.

However, If you were to take out the 2 best teams in the SEC this years bowl matchups, the remaining SEC teams would be 3-7 instead of 5-7 in the 2021 season's Bowl match ups.

By the way, the Big12 is 10-2 the past 2 years. Not saying the Big 12 is better than the SEC 11-9 ... but the Big12 as probably the #2 Conference and definitely the 3rd best Conference the past 2 seasons if using Bowl victories as an indicator:

Big12 10-2 ... Big10 9-5 ... SEC 11-9 ... ACC 2-10 ... PAC 0-7

Wexahu

Think everyone will agree that the SEC produces the #1 team most every year... which has been dominated by the SEC's Alabama, with occasionally some years the 2 best teams.

However, If you were to take out the 2 best teams in the SEC this years bowl matchups, the remaining SEC teams would be 3-7 instead of 5-7 in the 2021 season's Bowl match ups.

By the way, the Big12 is 10-2 the past 2 years. Not saying the Big 12 is better than the SEC 11-9 ... but the Big12 as probably the #2 Conference and definitely the 3rd best Conference the past 2 seasons if using Bowl victories as an indicator:

Using bowl records as a barometer is idiotic.

The SEC is stronger at the top, stronger in the middle, and stronger at the bottom than every other P5 league. If you take the 2 best teams out of each league, the B12, ACC, Big 10, and Pac 12 would not be good leagues at all. The SEC still would be very strong.

asleep003

Using bowl records as a barometer is idiotic.

The SEC is stronger at the top, stronger in the middle, and stronger at the bottom than every other P5 league. If you take the 2 best teams out of each league, the B12, ACC, Big 10, and Pac 12 would not be good leagues at all. The SEC still would be very strong.
Wouldn't use the term "idiotic" unless you can provide a better head to head barometer my friend.
The B12 is 4-0 in NY6 Bowls and 6-2 non NY6 Bowls the past 2 years... and my post didn't identify B12 better than the SEC...
nor definitely better than the Big10 either... just definitely better than the PAC and ACC... so chill Wexahu

Wexahu

Wouldn't use the term "idiotic" unless you can provide a better head to head barometer my friend.
The B12 is 4-0 in NY6 Bowls and 6-2 non NY6 Bowls the past 2 years... and my post didn't identify B12 better than the SEC...
nor definitely better than the Big10 either... just definitely better than the PAC and ACC... so chill Wexahu
Games where both teams care and they don't have their best players opting out because they don't care?

That would be a good starting point for a barometer.

asleep003

Games where both teams care and they don't have their best players opting out because they don't care?

That would be the case for any teams in any conference. Believe 90+% of the teams are there/motivated to win their bowl games out of pride alone... many/majority teams(especially bowl caliber) have opt outs at the end of the season too, just like the bowl games... all averages out.

So please, don't say the ACC's 2-10 or the PAC12's 0-7 past 2 bowl seasons, are because they had more players opting out than other leagues...

Last edited:

FrogUltimate

Bowl games are easily the biggest sample size we have in regards to H2H conference vs conference of similar levels.

The middle of the SEC (Tennessee, Missouri) is very similar quality than the middle of the B12 (KState, WVU). The SEC is obviously elite at the top (always have two amazing teams) and outside Vandy, their bottom is usually pretty strong.

I've got SEC at the top, probably B10 edging out B12 simply due to Ohio State's staying power, B12, then a decent gap to ACC then another gap to Pac12.

StealthFrog

The SEC always gets the benefit of the doubt and starts the season with ranked teams that don't necessarily belong there i.e Florida and LSU this year. Then the average teams win a few non-conference games and suddenly become ranked. Then they start beating each other (ranked teams) and its just a continuous cycle of having average teams in and out of the top 25.

Wexahu

Bowl games are easily the biggest sample size we have in regards to H2H conference vs conference of similar levels.

The middle of the SEC (Tennessee, Missouri) is very similar quality than the middle of the B12 (KState, WVU). The SEC is obviously elite at the top (always have two amazing teams) and outside Vandy, their bottom is usually pretty strong.

I've got SEC at the top, probably B10 edging out B12 simply due to Ohio State's staying power, B12, then a decent gap to ACC then another gap to Pac12.
You're never going to have five or six great teams in one league from a perception standpoint because those 5-6 teams play each other and beat each other, so a few will have some losses and seasons will be derailed because of that. But the SEC has had now had SIX different programs win a national title in the last 24 years. And laugh all you want because of who it was, but a 7th program in that league who hasn't yet won a title just reeled in the best recruiting class ever (since they've been keeping track).

No other league would have a prayer of pulling something like that off. Not even close. And people will say, well, yeah, that's because of all the bias. No, it's not. It's because the league is full of huge, well-funded state schools mostly located smack dab in the most football-centric part of the country. Best recruiting classes, highest paid coaches, best facilities, etc etc etc. It's not complicated.

asleep003

You're never going to have five or six great teams in one league from a perception standpoint because those 5-6 teams play each other and beat each other, so a few will have some losses and seasons will be derailed because of that. But the SEC has had now had SIX different programs win a national title in the last 24 years. And laugh all you want because of who it was, but a 7th program in that league who hasn't yet won a title just reeled in the best recruiting class ever (since they've been keeping track).

No other league would have a prayer of pulling something like that off. Not even close. And people will say, well, yeah, that's because of all the bias. No, it's not. It's because the league is full of huge, well-funded state schools mostly located smack dab in the most football-centric part of the country. Best recruiting classes, highest paid coaches, best facilities, etc etc etc. It's not complicated.
Where are you going, the "last 24 years".?. and nobody is challenging the SEC prowess? You're just being challenged the strength of the middle of SEC the past 2 years as being so superior, say over B10 an B12. No one is saying any conference is superior to SEC. Again, relax Wex...

asleep003

Where are you going, the "last 24 years".?. and nobody is challenging the SEC prowess? You're just being challenged the strength of the middle of SEC the past 2 years as being so superior, say over B10 an B12. No one is saying any conference is superior to SEC. Again, relax Wex...
So please, don't say the ACC's 2-10 or the PAC12's 0-7 past 2 bowl seasons, are because they had more players opting out than other leagues...

Wexahu

Because it's a better sample size than 2 years?

I don't even know where you get their info anyway. Might want to recheck the numbers.

FrogUltimate

I don't disagree. I've got SEC #1. But it still takes critical thinking to identify the good teams (outside of Alabama and Georgia) each year and not just assign high grades to teams because they are SEC.

asleep003

Because it's a better sample size than 2 years ?

I don't even know where you get their info anyway. Might want to recheck the numbers.
The original post of mine(#241) on this topic is talking about where the leagues are today(not the past 24 or even 48 years) ...hopefully you'll figure out there is no demeaning your precious SEC, just that there are other league's mid tier teams now just as good as the SEC's... that's all.

Don't need to "recheck the numbers", am sure you're capable of googling for the black and white #s you want to challenge... for some reason.?.

Last edited: