• The KillerFrogs

According to my friend in TTU athletic dept., A&M for sure leaving

Chongo94

I have a friend who works in a section of the Tech athletic dept who said that A&M called them today and let them know they were leaving. Supposedly announcing it tomorrow.

Now whether this happens, who knows. But I doubt my friend is wrong about this as he's worked in the dept for around 4 yrs or so. I doubt he would make any of it up either unless he's just playing some big joke on me. But again, according to him, it's official.

AggieFrog

From A&M's side, we're gone. Texas is doing it's best to stop it, though. From hiring a PR/lobbying firm for a smear campaign, to feeding lies to the media, to threatening a $1B lawsuit vs. the SEC. I've never like Texas, but I despise them even more after this. If they don't care about us leaving and they can so easily replace us, then let us go. If we're going to flop in the SEC like they're all saying, then why the fight to prevent it?

Chongo94

From A&M's side, we're gone. Texas is doing it's best to stop it, though. From hiring a PR/lobbying firm for a smear campaign, to feeding lies to the media, to threatening a $1B lawsuit vs. the SEC. I've never like Texas, but I despise them even more after this. If they don't care about us leaving and they can so easily replace us, then let us go. If we're going to flop in the SEC like they're all saying, then why the fight to prevent it?

You know well that I despise A&M, no offense AggieFrog, but I support y'all whole heartedly in this endeavor. This is what UT gets for being the Idi Amin of the Big 12. I do think A&M may flop as well but to see the Big 12 crumble is awesome!

Rabble Rouser

You know well that I despise A&M, no offense AggieFrog, but I support y'all whole heartedly in this endeavor. This is what UT gets for being the Idi Amin of the Big 12. I do think A&M may flop as well but to see the Big 12 crumble is awesome!

Watching the Big 12 crumble isn't going to be that enjoyable when our new conference crumbles alongside of it. All because Aggie can't get out of the shadow of it's rival. I guess it's like they say, "If you can't beat 'em, leave the conference and tradition be damned." Screw Aggie & UT, they are ruining college football.

Chongo94

Watching the Big 12 crumble isn't going to be that enjoyable when our new conference crumbles alongside of it. All because Aggie can't get out of the shadow of it's rival. I guess it's like they say, "If you can't beat 'em, leave the conference and tradition be damned." Screw Aggie & UT, they are ruining college football.

I'm not sure how you get the Big East crumbling out of all this. I feel like they are on and have been during all this realignment stuff, far more stable footing than the Big 12 ever was. I think you're running the sky is falling yells a bit early but we will see.

So your logic is: if they can't beat 'em, go join a tougher conference with better teams than Texas. Am I getting that straight?

Very flawed logic, my friend. A&M is leaving because of the politics behind Texas and their LHN. Texas lied to A&M and OU about how they would run that network when they all agreed to hold hands and stay in the Big 12. When the facts about LHN came out, A&M, OU and Tech said "wait a minute, that's not what you said 3 months ago". That's when A&M said "enough, we should have taken SEC's invite before".

Keep in mind, A&M isn't "running away". They are being invited. The SEC is licking their chops at getting inside the state of Texas. They gain 2 top ten media markets, which means a ton of money in TV contracts. A&M turned them down before, but regretted it after the LHN was announced.

So when OU goes to the Pac-12, are they "getting out of their rivals shaddow" too? The Big 12 folding does not mean the demise of the Big East. Chill out.

jstrat

That's a little premature, adding one team from possibly the ACC isn't going to destroy anything. After this is over the realignment issue could be put to bed for awhile.

Rabble Rouser

I'm not sure how you get the Big East crumbling out of all this. I feel like they are on and have been during all this realignment stuff, far more stable footing than the Big 12 ever was. I think you're running the sky is falling yells a bit early but we will see.

Best case scenario the BE loses it's marquee and most valuable program in WVU. Worst case the Big East become basically C-USA. And A&M is the tipping point of the whole thing.

AggieFrog

You know what's odd in all of this is that most Ags that have been following all of this have a new found respect of Tech for standing up to the 'Horns / ESPN / LHN in all of this. I wish Tech the best going forward and if the Big 12 somehow lives on, I think I have a team I'll be pulling for.

I still have to think that Tech is working its channels to head to the Pac - they've been awfully quiet in all of this.

Rabble Rouser

So your logic is: if they can't beat 'em, go join a tougher conference with better teams than Texas. Am I getting that straight?

Very flawed logic, my friend. A&M is leaving because of the politics behind Texas and their LHN. Texas lied to A&M and OU about how they would run that network when they all agreed to hold hands and stay in the Big 12. When the facts about LHN came out, A&M, OU and Tech said "wait a minute, that's not what you said 3 months ago". That's when A&M said "enough, we should have taken SEC's invite before".

Keep in mind, A&M isn't "running away". They are being invited. The SEC is licking their chops at getting inside the state of Texas. They gain 2 top ten media markets, which means a ton of money in TV contracts. A&M turned them down before, but regretted it after the LHN was announced.

So when OU goes to the Pac-12, are they "getting out of their rivals shaddow" too? The Big 12 folding does not mean the demise of the Big East. Chill out.

1. I meant "beat 'em" in an overall program sense as well as wins and losses. Meaning fans, recruiting, revenue, exposure, tv deals
2. A&M contacted SEC this second time around, if they wouldn't have this wouldn't be happening\
3. I don't see the TAMU-UT rivalry different than the OU-UT one. OU and UT played before they were conference mates and I'm sure they would contunue after as well.

Chongo94

You know what's odd in all of this is that most Ags that have been following all of this have a new found respect of Tech for standing up to the 'Horns / ESPN / LHN in all of this. I wish Tech the best going forward and if the Big 12 somehow lives on, I think I have a team I'll be pulling for.

I still have to think that Tech is working its channels to head to the Pac - they've been awfully quiet in all of this.

Very quiet and the PAC-12 is what I'm hearing most Tech fans want but sadly, I think Tech overvalues its worth. I mean when you really look at it, it doesn't bring much to the table now that Leach has gone, aside from a bunch of alums...although they and their viewing numbers are a very large draw I guess.

We'll see, Tech will either stay under UT's thumb provided they don't go independent (although that's what I would do if I was UT) or they'll try to get in to the PAC-12.

As a joke, some of my other TCU friends and I out here are telling our Tech buddies the Mtn. West will have a spot open for them next year haha. After all the ribbing we took from them about the MTN. West, karma would be great.

asleep003

That's a little premature, adding one team from possibly the ACC isn't going to destroy anything. After this is over the realignment issue could be put to bed for awhile.

We'll end up in very good shape in the demise of a B12 blowup. Even if we lose 3 teams in the shake up... we'll still have 6 teams and a half dozen BCS teams/ a half doz Quality nonBCS teams to look at(including Academies) to bring into the BE, which will be offering them also a very lucrative B-Ball league. We'll be just fine.

Cheers!

says who???????????????????

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5319856

Fast forward to now:

A&M: "remember that invite a few months ago?"
SEC: "yep"
A&M: "that still available?"
SEC: "are you still located in Texas?"
A&M: "yep"
SEC: "then yep. still available."

Endless Purple

Disagree with Rabble. A&M is taking a proactive approach to separate themselves. They are also doing the same thing every other school in the conference would do. UT is simply being an overbearing conference mate with no respect for the other teams. I applaud A&M for doing something.

Though my first choice to see would be to have 9 teams vote out UT - but that isn't happening.

PS. With a 9 team league, does this mean Tech will have more room to schedule Texas St or UTSA?

Very quiet and the PAC-12 is what I'm hearing most Tech fans want but sadly, I think Tech overvalues its worth. I mean when you really look at it, it doesn't bring much to the table now that Leach has gone, aside from a bunch of alums...although they and their viewing numbers are a very large draw I guess.

We'll see, Tech will either stay under UT's thumb provided they don't go independent (although that's what I would do if I was UT) or they'll try to get in to the PAC-12.

As a joke, some of my other TCU friends and I out here are telling our Tech buddies the Mtn. West will have a spot open for them next year haha. After all the ribbing we took from them about the MTN. West, karma would be great.

I think Tech is a lock for the Pac-12. Pac-12 (A) needs 4 teams and (B) wants in the state of Texas. Being in the middle of nowhere doesn't bother the Pac-12 - look at Pulman and Tuscon.

Tech can argue academics aren't much worse than Wazzu, Ore St and Arizona St. A&M going to the SEC was a blessing in disguise for them. I think they are actually in pretty good shape...as much as I hate to say that.