• The KillerFrogs

A question for the architects out there

Stiff Arm Frog

Now that I've been to the Rose Bowl, I personally think that all upper decks should be banned anyway. I think the new AGC design is a huge improvement. The upper deck always looked like an afterthought to me (which, in fact, it was.) The new west side "upper deck" integrates much better visually into the overall structure.

Yeah, a whole bunch of you architects all figured that out at the same time sometime around the 1950's. That's how we ended up with this:

houlihan101.jpg

The problem is that the closer you put the upper deck to the field, the steeper you have to make it so that you can still see the near sideline. Kyle Field is an example of that idea taken to the extreme, and it's a vertical nightmare.

And no kidding here. I saw an Aggie game with my dad a few years ago there. I couldn't believe how high up that place was, almost gave me vertigo.

tcumaniac

There wasn't a bad seat at the Rose Bowl. Great sight lines and an atmosphere like a small stadium, right up until they announced the attendance of 94k.

not true. in all honesty, my seats sucked. you could barely see anything past the 20yrd line closest to my endzone. However, it was a pretty good view of the immaculate deflection.

NubomTurk

Tier 1
not true. in all honesty, my seats sucked. you could barely see anything past the 20yrd line closest to my endzone. However, it was a pretty good view of the immaculate deflection.
Correction: there wasn't a bad seat in the house for anyone of normal height.

NubomTurk

Tier 1
A lawyer, an architect, and an engineer were sitting around discussing the relative benefits of wives and mistresses.
The lawyer said, "It's better to have a wife and just a wife. If you have a mistress, sooner or later, the wife will find out and she'll take you for everything you've got."
The architect said, "Well, if it's a choice between one or the other, it's better to have a mistress. Mistresses aren't in as secure a position as wives. That makes them much more attentive and eager to please. It's just a much better situation all around."
The engineer said, " You guys are both all wet. It's better to have a wife and a mistress. That way, the wife thinks you're with the mistress; the mistress thinks you're with the wife. It frees up a lot more time to get down to the office and get more work done!"

(This is Newbomb Turk's favorite engineer joke.)
(It is not, perhaps understandably, the beloved Mrs. Turk's favorite engineer joke.)

Limp Lizard

At least, it looks, like most of the seats will be inside the end zone. Don't understand putting most of the additions in end zone seats. Seems like a read about a stadium a few years ago that had 40 percent of the seats outside of the end zone. And that was just on the lower deck. Ugh.

Got my fingers crossed about the view from the club seats being a good as the first few rows of the upper deck. Those were sweet!