• The KillerFrogs

A possible reason why ESPN may be pushing Friday CFB

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-nfl-proposal-features-16game-thursday-night-schedule-20110621,0,2274581.story

A 16-game Thursday night TV packaging beginning in 2012 reportedly is among the parameters of a new collective bargaining agreement being discussed by NFL owners during their meeting Tuesday in Rosemont.

YCBJ Frog

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-nfl-proposal-features-16game-thursday-night-schedule-20110621,0,2274581.story

A 16-game Thursday night TV packaging beginning in 2012 reportedly is among the parameters of a new collective bargaining agreement being discussed by NFL owners during their meeting Tuesday in Rosemont.

I didn't read the article, but I'm guess this is going to be a nationwide primetime broadcast like SNF and MNF. So, that will give us 3 primetime games per week, plus 4 regionally broadcast games (2 NFC, 2 AFC at noon and 3:30)-- that only leaves 9 games in non-bye weeks that you won't be able to see without a high-end satellite subscription. In weeks 5-8, that will only leave 6 games that you won't have the opportunity to view, and 7 games in weeks 9 and 11. I like this so far...

Then you get to the loss of viewership or perhaps televising altogether of Thursday night college football. These games in the Big East (assuming we've contracted with ESPN) will be our only shots at national primetime games in the regular season. This could drive ESPN to putting more college games on Wednesday and Tuesday as they occasionally do and we could very well be one of those. I'm not liking this anymore...

frogbyproxy

IMO The real reason you have Friday college football is ESPN cannot fulfill the obligations of all the contracts if they didn't have Friday night football. I know they have more stations than anyone else but look at how many games are played. They have over extended themselves and Friday's are their way of saying "see we can show all teams like we said we could. They are just as bad as BCS BS. Again IMO

YCBJ Frog

IMO The real reason you have Friday college football is ESPN cannot fulfill the obligations of all the contracts if they didn't have Friday night football. I know they have more stations than anyone else but look at how many games are played. They have over extended themselves and Friday's are their way of saying "see we can show all teams like we said we could. They are just as bad as BCS BS. Again IMO

It's not like they contracted out more airtime than possible on Saturdays and use weeknight games as a band-aid. Weeknight games are written into the contracts.

ARFrog

The locals sure don't like the weekday night college football games. I think they would rather go on Saturday or even Friday night when they don't have to go to work the next day.

It would be interesting to know how far the average TCU fan (excluding students) drives to get to the game. The further you have to drive, the harder it is to make a weekday night game.
I drive 6 hours each way from Little Rock and have season tickets. Friday night games are bad enough but mid-week games would be a disaster for me!

Endless Purple

The locals sure don't like the weekday night college football games. I think they would rather go on Saturday or even Friday night when they don't have to go to work the next day.

It would be interesting to know how far the average TCU fan (excluding students) drives to get to the game. The further you have to drive, the harder it is to make a weekday night game.
5 hrs each way for me. Agree with above: Fridays are tough, weekdays a disaster. Multiple weekdays and I would have to consider dropping season tickets (my casual spending money is limited)