• The KillerFrogs

3rd Down Hand Sign

MoneyFrog

i would say 75% of the people in section H are doing the 3rd down finger wave now. but i do think it should be mandatory to yell as well.

i was looking in the "faces in the crowd" gallery on gofrogs.com and noticed many a picture with all ages doing the catchy 3rd down finger deal.

that's what i'm calling it from now on..."3rd down finger deal".

Frogenstein

It dates back to ancient Rome. The 3 fingers held in the air was the single for the gladiator to "harvest" the other gladiator's meat and 2 veg.

NubomTurk

Tier 1
I thought the opposing team's 3rd down was all about decibels.
I always have both hands cupped to the sides of my mouth, making a megaphone pointed directly at the opposing team's quarterback, yelling at the top of my lungs.

The fourth quarter hand sign is another story. Stand silent, one arm raised. That was pretty cool at the tceh game when we did that. Sand aggie fans got intimidated at that point. One of my favorite AGC memories.

michael1999

This has probably been covered before, but i missed it.

When did the 3rd down hand sign deal start and who started it?

i partake in it btw and think it's pretty cool.

The when was discussed, but what about the meaning? I have my thoughts. I just wanted to see what others thought.

57Frog

After the '09 game I had a Utah fan tell me he had nightmares of someone yelling ..."and it's third down " Said he hoped he never heard it again .
Go Frogs

VictoryLap

Aledo students do the three fingered handsign on kickoffs. They do it because in sign language it means a-hole. When you wave it like that it becomes the flying a-hole. I graduated Aledo in 2003 and found it funny that this handsign morphed into the third down sign while I was at TCU. Don't know if it has any relation to that or not.

HoustonHornedFrog

yeah. The "Riff-Ram" is kinda lame. Cute. But lame.

I do like the stadium chants, the West side yelling "GO" and the East side yelling "FROGS"

the 3rd down hand sign. meh. it gets the students involved, and whatever the students like, I like.

I wish the student body would take the initiative and create some new traditionsI .

tra·di·tion [truh-dish-uh
thinsp.png
n]
–noun

1. the handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs, information, etc., from generation to generation, esp. by word of mouth or by practice: a story that has come down to us by popular tradition. 2. something that is handed down: the traditions of the Eskimos. 3. a long-established or inherited way of thinking or acting: The rebellious students wanted to break with tradition. 4. a continuing pattern of culture beliefs or practices.

By definition if it is new it isn't a tradition.

Maybe the student body can break with tradition and start something that in the future will become a tradition, but the phrase new traditions is an oxymoron.

</H2>

tcumaniac

Aledo students do the three fingered handsign on kickoffs. They do it because in sign language it means a-hole. When you wave it like that it becomes the flying a-hole. I graduated Aledo in 2003 and found it funny that this handsign morphed into the third down sign while I was at TCU. Don't know if it has any relation to that or not.

go bearcats! haha i graduated from AHS last year.. they still do the flying a-hole... i feel like im back in high school when it's 3rd down.