• The KillerFrogs

3 Man Defensive Line

MadFrog

In its last 3 games, this defense has given up 45 to Colorado and Michigan, and 65 to Georgia. I believe the 3 man defensive line does not cut it. It puts no pressure on the QB giving them tons of time. And DBs can't cover fast receivers for that long of time. It is time to dump the DC.

The Bad Guy

In its last 3 games, this defense has given up 45 to Colorado and Michigan, and 65 to Georgia. I believe the 3 man defensive line does not cut it. It puts no pressure on the QB giving them tons of time. And DBs can't cover fast receivers for that long of time. It is time to dump the DC.
I completely agree, I hate this 3 man line.

allclearforfrogs

I agree 100%. I was actually thinking of starting a thread but you beat me to it. There are teams that have success with a 4 man front we need to explore that again. I literally get anxiety and lose confidence whenever the teams line up at the line of scrimmage. Our formation just looks like something that's ready to be sliced through or get no pressure. Those 3 guys just look set up to fail.

It also seems that our DL is bigger and slower than in previous years and I don't know if that's a good thing.

One Frog Nation

the 3 3 5 is designed to prevent long gains and still be able to cover short passes. And the O should have no idea where the blitz is coming from and if it is 1 or 2. In our case it is usually none so sanders most of the time had all day. I don't see much difference in yesterday's game and most of last year's games. No QB pressure and whenever a RB or WR goes into the flat we seem to run the other way. use if properly or lose it.

NewFrogFan

3 man front is fine if you bring other players on blitzes but we don’t do it enough or very well.

Hope the DC learns from this game.
I was kind of hoping the DC would be asking himself what went wrong in every game except Texas and ISU.

06DallasFrog

the 3 3 5 is designed to prevent long gains and still be able to cover short passes. And the O should have no idea where the blitz is coming from and if it is 1 or 2. In our case it is usually none so sanders most of the time had all day. I don't see much difference in yesterday's game and most of last year's games. No QB pressure and whenever a RB or WR goes into the flat we seem to run the other way. use if properly or lose it.
Agree completely. You need three monster d lineman to eat up blockers while the QB looks at the next two levels of the defense having no idea where they’re going.

I am about to rewatch it, and I’m going to look to see if we had guys spying Sanders. He did not get much on the ground and is a capable runner.

Wexahu

3 man front is fine if you bring other players on blitzes but we don’t do it enough or very well.

Hope the DC learns from this game.
Yep. Against teams that aren’t going to run the ball, if Hodge and Hodges are out there they need to be mostly rushing the passer and not chasing RBs and slot receivers around in space.

Eight

there are multiple teams that run three man lines on defense that are effective, but you need the right linemen and frogs aren't there yet, same as having linebackers who can play in space,

Spike

there are multiple teams that run three man lines on defense that are effective, but you need the right linemen and frogs aren't there yet, same as having linebackers who can play in space,
Noone called for logic of facts here.

Bizarro Frog

Odd thing about the 3 man line is we shut down the run for Michigan (after play 1) and Colorado. It's the pass defense that's absolutely mind numbingly bad right now. I still feel if we rushed 4 on half the pass plays or just on 3rd we win that game by 2 TD's or more. Nebraska is not going to be so hard headed against them. NU will run the ball on offense and rush more than the ball boy on pass plays.

FrogCop19

Agree completely. You need three monster d lineman to eat up blockers while the QB looks at the next two levels of the defense having no idea where they’re going.

I am about to rewatch it, and I’m going to look to see if we had guys spying Sanders. He did not get much on the ground and is a capable runner.
He didn't need to run, as he was able to pick apart our defense all day. The thing that bugged me most is the 10-12 yard cushion the DB's were giving up, and it didn't look like they even had any kind of inside leverage on those receivers. They ran dig routes and deep all game long, but we weren't set up to stop them. I get they were trying to give respect the the speed they had on the outside, but if you can jam them at the line, it will disrupt the timing on the passes and give the line and (theoretical) blitzing linebackers time to get to the QB.

Wexahu

He didn't need to run, as he was able to pick apart our defense all day. The thing that bugged me most is the 10-12 yard cushion the DB's were giving up, and it didn't look like they even had any kind of inside leverage on those receivers. They ran dig routes and deep all game long, but we weren't set up to stop them. I get they were trying to give respect the the speed they had on the outside, but if you can jam them at the line, it will disrupt the timing on the passes and give the line and (theoretical) blitzing linebackers time to get to the QB.
Agreed. I thought the point of having bigger, longer corners was to play physical at the line of scrimmage and not concede the little stuff, and combine that with having a couple rangy safeties help cover the second and third levels. Well, I guess another thought is those bigger corners will tackle better too, but what I saw was very soft coverage within the first 5-10 yards and a bunch of poor tackling. Always a step behind. And a line that got literally zero pressure with blitz help.

WhatTheFrog

Yep, I recall the DC last year stating that his defense is designed to contain the edges and force everything to the middle of the field. Three big DL should be enough to clog the center, but that doesn't do any good if you're not jamming the receivers at the line and keeping the outside lanes away from them. If he isn't going to do that, he needs 4 on the line with a spy to pressure the QB. Otherwise, the flats will be our Achilles heel.

Colo ran the SSO effectively against us. I didn't think that would work. Edit: I didn't think that was SUPPOSED to work.

Last edited:

Eight

Agreed. I thought the point of having bigger, longer corners was to play physical at the line of scrimmage and not concede the little stuff, and combine that with having a couple rangy safeties help cover the second and third levels. Well, I guess another thought is those bigger corners will tackle better too, but what I saw was very soft coverage within the first 5-10 yards and a bunch of poor tackling. Always a step behind. And a line that got literally zero pressure with blitz help.

did not understand getting bigger corners and have them play off

An-Cap Frog

Even with a 4-man front, our defense is only stellar when the line can get to the QB. Gary would send extras when needed but sometimes that left deep crossers open in quarters coverage or WRs blowing by the deepest of the deep if the pass rush doesn't get home. The 3-3-5 can be played to force everything in front of you, but you have to make the tackle. Unless morale improves, there will be more beatings.

LisaLT

My advice - Make sure to have cocktail in hand when watching this again....