• The KillerFrogs

27 month committment problem

angelo's frog

Say we go ahead and join the BE and then we lose another school or two and what we wind up in is not what we signed up for. Then we are stuck for 27 months should the Big 12 lose another member and come calling. We will essentially have made ourselves unmarketable and stuck in a CUSA type conference for the long term. That's another thing to think about for all of you guys who are so gung-ho for the BE.

gatorfrog

Not a problem if the conference is raided and then disbands. Most likely to happen to the Big East in the future.

But potentially a big one if it gets continually chipped away and "rebuilt." At this point, BE and Big XII-ish both have a plusses and minuses (and specifically the shared minus of instability), but both are preferable to any non-AQ.

tcuseagull

I really don't know much about contract law, but would we be forced to this? Couldn't we make the case that this is not the same conference we originally signed up for and thus the contract could be nullified. With Pitt and Syracuse out, it completely changes the landscape of the Big East. Obviously they don't have that excuse because they made the conference that way, but could other members who want to leave (say WVU or Louisville) say the same thing?

It might be the basketball schools who have the most to gain if 9 schools have to pay exit fees.

PurplePutt

But potentially a big one if it gets continually chipped away and "rebuilt." At this point, BE and Big XII-ish both have a plusses and minuses (and specifically the shared minus of instability), but both are preferable to any non-AQ.

Go dig up and read the NCAA definition of a conference. I am tired of having to post it on every thread.

oldscribe

As much as some of us (not me) want to escape the BE, it must be remembered that we may not have anywhere else to go (certainly not anywhere else that is AQ).....

OmniscienceFrog

I really don't know much about contract law, but would we be forced to this? Couldn't we make the case that this is not the same conference we originally signed up for and thus the contract could be nullified. With Pitt and Syracuse out, it completely changes the landscape of the Big East. Obviously they don't have that excuse because they made the conference that way, but could other members who want to leave (say WVU or Louisville) say the same thing?

It might be the basketball schools who have the most to gain if 9 schools have to pay exit fees.

I think he is talking about what happens if TCU decides to go ahead and join the Big East next year. They are most likely not forced by contract to join the league next year if they choose not to, but once they do join, they then would be subject the 27 month "notice to leave" bylaw. West Virginia and Louisville would be a different situation because they are already in the Big East, not looking to join.

Limey Frog

I'm pretty sure CDC is pulling every trick in the play book to land TCU either in an expanded Longhorn Conference, or as the 14th SEC member alongside Aggy. If those two efforts both fall short, we have nowhere else to go. In that case the length of our incarceration in commitment to the emaciated Big East would be moot.

bullfrog69

Under contract law, injunctions are rarely issued. It would most likely be settled with monetary damages. Thus the schools would prob get out of it, but not without paying reliance or expectation damages

HoustonHornedFrog

I'm pretty sure CDC is pulling every trick in the play book to land TCU either in an expanded Longhorn Conference, or as the 14th SEC member alongside Aggy. If those two efforts both fall short, we have nowhere else to go. In that case the length of our incarceration in commitment to the emaciated Big East would be moot.

With all the other conference talk going around, I'm surprised that their hasn't been more talk about the possibility of TCU going to the ACC. I know they have said they are good with 14 for now but they have also said they are not opposed to the thought of going to 16. The ACC could benefit from having a presence in Texas as well as having a top flight football team added to what has been only slighly better than the Big East in the recent past. And right now the ACC has 5 teams in the top 25 of the coaches poll with Clemson and Florida State looking like they are on their way back up, along with Virginia Tech an undefeated TCU as ACC champion would have a good shot at the NC game.

hindry

Under contract law, injunctions are rarely issued. It would most likely be settled with monetary damages. Thus the schools would prob get out of it, but not without paying reliance or expectation damages

love it...as nancy grace says....'bring in the lawyers'

we need to start litigating this mess right away....promise to pay a fine(bribe) and haul [Craig James] to big 12 ASAP

UT is getting its come-uppance and they know it...

they are feeling pretty contrite right now i would imagine and are vulnerable. i know this cause the said the were ready to equalize revenue.

let em have LHN...i for one would enjoy watching competitive field hockey in the off season.

HFrog1999

How has being in the Big 12 helped Baylor grow their product? TCU averages more fans than they do. UT is a cancer to college football. They will write the rules in their favor. We were in a conference with them for 80 some odd years. How was our attendance then?

Stay away from Bevo, the Steer's got fleas.

SnoSki

How has being in the Big 12 helped Baylor grow their product? TCU averages more fans than they do. UT is a cancer to college football. They will write the rules in their favor. We were in a conference with them for 80 some odd years. How was our attendance then?

Stay away from Bevo, the Steer's got fleas.

Surely you're not implying that affiliation with UT is what causes low attendance. For TCU, I think it likely had more to do with the quality of the team during the latter SWC days. For Baylor, it's that until recently they've not really improved on the field. Their low attendance wasn't a result of people saying "Oh no, they're in UT's conference. Not going to that game."

Boomhauer

With all the other conference talk going around, I'm surprised that their hasn't been more talk about the possibility of TCU going to the ACC. I know they have said they are good with 14 for now but they have also said they are not opposed to the thought of going to 16. The ACC could benefit from having a presence in Texas as well as having a top flight football team added to what has been only slighly better than the Big East in the recent past. And right now the ACC has 5 teams in the top 25 of the coaches poll with Clemson and Florida State looking like they are on their way back up, along with Virginia Tech an undefeated TCU as ACC champion would have a good shot at the NC game.

One word...basketball.