• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: TCU still riding with Josh Hoover at quarterback

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU still riding with Josh Hoover at quarterback​

Jeremy Clark

12037423.jpg

Josh Hoover is still the starting quarterback for TCU; at least for another week. Hoover took over for Chandler Morris late in the Iowa State game after Morris suffered an MCL sprain.

During his weekly presser on Tuesday, Frogs’ head coach Sonny Dykes stated that Hoover would start this Saturday against Texas, which will be his fourth consecutive start for the Frogs this season.

“That’s the plan right now, for sure,” Dykes said on Tuesday.

Read the article at https://247sports.com/college/tcu/article/tcu-horned-frogs-josh-hoover-texas-longhorns-219804894/

FrogCop19

2018 was way worse. That was the year that future LB / DB Shawn Robinson started, backed up by an Ivy League transfer (who later went to Rice), then a dude whose right foot didn't work, and ultimately resulted in the Cheez It Bowl being The Room of college bowl games due to bad QB play.
One of my all-time favorite college football plays was in that Cheezit bowl where one of the linebackers bounced off Justin Rogers like he was a terminator robot, and the announcers described him as a qb who "didn't have full use of one of his feet." At one point in time The Mule had a stat line of 4/10 for 10 yards, 0 TD, and 4 interceptions.

What a glorious, platinum-plated disaster that game was.

4 Oaks Frog

One of my all-time favorite college football plays was in that Cheezit bowl where one of the linebackers bounced off Justin Rogers like he was a terminator robot, and the announcers described him as a qb who "didn't have full use of one of his feet." At one point in time The Mule had a stat line of 4/10 for 10 yards, 0 TD, and 4 interceptions.

What a glorious, platinum-plated disaster that game was.
If we have the opportunity to out-achieve this level of “low”, I am not sure if I am equipped to handle it. NC game to this? Awh Gawdd!

Limey Frog

Qb room in worst shape in 20 years.
Hoover has made some good throws, but he's also looked like a redshirt freshman playing behind a rubbish line and opposite a soft defense who is being asked to do it all. I think he's been a faint glimmer of a possible bright spot. We badly need a QB transfer, and I hope that transfer will be good enough to start next year. But I hope Hoover will still be here and I think he'll be a better option as a sophomore. He might even be a decent one.

Last edited:

2themax

Hoover has made some good throws, but he's also looked like a redshirt freshman playing behind a rubbish line and opposite a soft defense who is being asked to do it all. I think he's been a faint glimmer of a possible bright spot. We badly need a QB transfer, and I hope that transfer will be good enough to start next year. But I hope Hoover will still be here and I think he'll be a better option as a sophomore. He might even be a decent one.
Fansided article is connecting MJ Morris with Briles as a potential transfer.

grt

It sure would help him if we could have some semblance of a running game.
Cam Cook from Round Rock was highly recruited. We signed him away from the horns and sooners. He's been in a couple of games but not given much of a chance with Briles at the helm. His you tube vid's look pretty dang good. They need to pull out all the stops and give these young guy's a decent chance to show what they can do. Heck, we have a very talented backfield in Sanders, the Bailey bros., Cory Wren, Trent Battle, and of course Cook. Under utilized in a sideline pass happy offensive coordinator who isn't hard to figure out. Just my opinion.

fanatical frog

Cam Cook from Round Rock was highly recruited. We signed him away from the horns and sooners. He's been in a couple of games but not given much of a chance with Briles at the helm. His you tube vid's look pretty dang good. They need to pull out all the stops and give these young guy's a decent chance to show what they can do. Heck, we have a very talented backfield in Sanders, the Bailey bros., Cory Wren, Trent Battle, and of course Cook. Under utilized in a sideline pass happy offensive coordinator who isn't hard to figure out. Just my opinion.

He's appeared in five games already so his red shirt is burned....at this point it would seem like a good idea for him and some of the other younger guys to get some playing experience.

NewFrogFan

2018 was way worse. That was the year that future LB / DB Shawn Robinson started, backed up by an Ivy League transfer (who later went to Rice), then a dude whose right foot didn't work, and ultimately resulted in the Cheez It Bowl being The Room of college bowl games due to bad QB play.
There were at least #’s in 2018, who comes in for Hoover, if that guy goes down, then who? The depth development IMO has been non existant under SD.

FloridaFrog76129

Is cam cook going to block for himself while running the rock at the same time?

This team is bad because the coaches are clowns. We literally have a HS coach as a defensive coordinator.

And people made fun of Gary for his nepotism? Bumpas was A+ - these coaches are arguably all worse excluding Kelly and Gonzales