• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: TCU star DT Damonic Williams intends to enter transfer portal

The TCU Football Jerk

This sounds like we are discussing a pro team with salary caps etc. This was why I stopped following professional sports. I have definitely lost significant interest in college football over the past two years. NIL has never been and will never be how my money is spent. I will stick with this forum because it is a great community, but I foresee interest in the sports side of this community waning significantly for me. Salary caps and free agency in college sports are not what drew me in. The sense of belonging and loyalty to my alma mater is. That, as it pertains to sports, seems to be on life support at the moment.
I will still follow from a safe distance, but my interest is diminishing rapidly. I grew up a die hard sports fan, but I have far more interests outside of sports and I really don’t think I’ll miss it too terribly much.
I don’t begrudge the kids who jump ship for more money. They have to do what they feel is right for them. But, eventually, the golden goose will be killed and the sport will be a shell of what it was.
College football has always been a bit like the minor leagues for the NFL. But people had connections and loyalty to their colleges. That loyalty is virtually non existent in baseball minor leagues. I think that eventually, most schools will probably tire of the arms race and get out of the football business, with the exception of the blue bloods. With that, I think the NCAA will likely lose most of the casual fans. Without the casual unaffiliated fans to prop up the ratings for the big schools, the profits will likely fall. It just seems like the trajectory for the average fan of college football is headed towards apathy.

As long as there is gambling, someone will watch.

NewFrogFan

TCU had a lot of money tied up in a position that generated little production. Surprised OU threw so much cash at him.

TCU can take that savings and hopefully sign the UT DB and UH DT and still have money left and get projected better results.

Dam was definitely a good player but was a financial drain.
Generated little production are the key words.

CryptoMiner

Then that is money paid out for work not performed and it should be paid back. If they want this to be like a job, it should be treated that way and money should be recouped for work not done.
Payments are for use of their name, image or likeness and not for performance.

4 Oaks Frog

Good riddance. Heard he had been threatening to leave since day 1 on campus.
He received a bump in NIL $$$ at Christmas time. So AMF!!!

So, you give a guy a pay increase to say thanks and “please hang around”. For the next few months, you provide his housing and food, plus the opportunity for an advanced education, if he wants to take advantage of it.
Then, when it is almost time to do the actual job you are training to do, he takes your money and your good will and bolts for more money somewhere else.
Some say coaches do this sort of thing all the time, and they do. The difference between the player and the coach in this situation is a contract. There is no ramifications for the player that takes

Kind of a coincidence that Dam's little brother's first offer came from OU at this same time.

part of the deal…

McFroggin

Then that is money paid out for work not performed and it should be paid back. If they want this to be like a job, it should be treated that way and money should be recouped for work not done.

Would be nice, but that isn’t how it works.

Chongo94

was williams that good? i remember k-state running through tcu's line last year like shiz through a goose.
Not especially and he regressed from his freshman year performances the year prior but he was still young. Too many on here seem to think he was some 5-star stud and have forgotten he was a 3-star with some supposed upside.

McFroggin

Not especially and he regressed from his freshman year performances the year prior but he was still young. Too many on here seem to think he was some 5-star stud and have forgotten he was a 3-star with some supposed upside.

Our D line outside of Williams was terrible last year. He can’t do it all.

You can tell how important he was based on how much $ we were giving him. While our NIL is far behind other schools in total $, we were backing up the truck for him.

SD really wanted to keep Williams and considered him essential for the defense.

tetonfrog

He was better as a NG than a DT. I always thought the move was based on our need rather than his strengths. If OU puts him over the nose, then he will make a bigger impact.