• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: TCU signs 33 on early signing day

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU signs 33 on early signing day​

Jeremy Clark

12179905.png

Early signing day has come and TCU announced the signing of 32 new players to the roster. The Frogs signed 21 high schools signees and 11 transfer portal players.

Currently, the overall rank for the class sits at No. 31 in the composite team rankings. TCU’s class also ranks No. 2 in the Big 12. The Frogs also rank No. 4 in the nation in transfer rankings with 13 total commitments at the moment, 11 of those transfer players signed on Wednesday.

In total, the Frogs landed four 4-star prospects from the high school ranks, including two from the 247Sports Top 247 list. Of the 21 high school signees, 18 are from the Lone Star State.

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/tcu/article/tcu-horned-frogs-signing-day-2024-223614518/

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Good haul. Who's the best signee whose initials aren't HH? Though he's just a one-and-done guy, I'd say the Notre Dame DL transfer Nana Osafo-Mensah. He can make immediate impact.
Hopefully Avalos is the best signee of all.
And we got a great kicker. Can't overlook that.
The Cal LB transfer might be. Great numbers, lots of snaps and experience.

Signed two top running backs and a top receiver too out of high school.

Looking forward to seeing what the revamped OL looks like.

I say get Jefferson, bridge the gap to Hejny, and let's go.

Limey Frog

Great class. Addresses needs, impact signees and transfers. The future is bright talent-wise. Coaching staff ... we are looking at you.
I'm not saying that I don't want very talented recruits, because ultimately that's what puts your program over the hump from good to great. But TCU's best success has come with 3* type guys who are ready to work and over-achieve. What highly-touted 4/5* guys have we brought in over the past three years who haven't transferred out? This class feels like getting back to the formula that works for us: we have enough guys at the positions of need that without knowing which ones will emerge as stars on game day, the odds that enough of them will feel pretty good.

Froggy Style

I'm not saying that I don't want very talented recruits, because ultimately that's what puts your program over the hump from good to great. But TCU's best success has come with 3* type guys who are ready to work and over-achieve. What highly-touted 4/5* guys have we brought in over the past three years who haven't transferred out? This class feels like getting back to the formula that works for us: we have enough guys at the positions of need that without knowing which ones will emerge as stars on game day, the odds that enough of them will feel pretty good.
generally agree, but I'd say four stars QJ and Max D may have given some decent contributions.

fanatical frog

Good haul. Who's the best signee whose initials aren't HH? Though he's just a one-and-done guy, I'd say the Notre Dame DL transfer Nana Osafo-Mensah. He can make immediate impact.
Hopefully Avalos is the best signee of all.
And we got a great kicker. Can't overlook that.
Wouldn't argue against Osafo-Mensa. Some additional candidates might be G. Baker (WR, ESPN 300 rank #209 and #16 in Texas) ; Jeremy Payne (RB, ESPN 300 rank #230 and Texas rank #46 ; Braylon James (Notre Dame transfer WR 4* possible immediate impact) ; Kaleb Elarms- Orr ( 4* LB transferred I think from Cal also potential immediate impact) and Donovan Saunders (4* CB transfer from Cal Poly could be immediate impact ) and my personal opinion is Nate Palmer RB Texas Top 100 rank #74.

And Avalos may indeed be the most impactful signee of all. But, yes Excellent haul.

FrogCop19

We also signed them more than three years ago. It's just been the most recent classes where, for whatever reasons, our biggest signings haven't seemed to work out.
In all honesty, going back to CGMFP tenure we have never done well with the high starsies. He built those new facilities on the 3* kids with chips on their shoulders. I truly feel those 4/5* kids were part of the beginning of the end for him, because he didn't know how to handle their egos.

fanatical frog

Give me all the starries I can get. A bunch of 4* and 5* have worked out pretty well for Alabama and Georgia, don’t you think?…

I kind of waffle back on forth on the 247/Rivals ratings but.....if it's 4*/5* we're wanting we should be pretty happy. If I didn't go cross eyed looking all this up we have 26- 4*/5* returning from '23 and looks like eight more coming in for '24.....so 34 total for the upcoming season.

And since I have the floor for a moment I'd like to nominate the following 3* out of high school for battle field promotion to 4* status :
  1. J. P. Richardson
  2. Damonic Williams
  3. Johnny Hodges
  4. Josh Hoover
So, by my count and evaluation we have just under 40 4*/5* for the '24 campaign. For those who trust the starzies system, we have the personnel to have a good/ very good year.

Go Frogs !

4 Oaks Frog

I kind of waffle back on forth on the 247/Rivals ratings but.....if it's 4*/5* we're wanting we should be pretty happy. If I didn't go cross eyed looking all this up we have 26- 4*/5* returning from '23 and looks like eight more coming in for '24.....so 34 total for the upcoming season.

And since I have the floor for a moment I'd like to nominate the following 3* out of high school for battle field promotion to 4* status :
  1. J. P. Richardson
  2. Damonic Williams
  3. Johnny Hodges
  4. Josh Hoover
So, by my count and evaluation we have just under 40 4*/5* for the '24 campaign. For those who trust the starzies system, we have the personnel to have a good/ very good year.

Go Frogs !
HEAR HEAR!

Limey Frog

Give me all the starries I can get. A bunch of 4* and 5* have worked out pretty well for Alabama and Georgia, don’t you think?…
Yes. As I said, that's how you eventually get over the hump from good to great. But I think there's also considerable evidence that making that transition is very difficult. You can fail by going too hard after the Blue Chip guys, missing on all of them and getting left with worse players than you had before (that was Mel Tucker at Sparty), or you can land a few of them and not know how to keep them happy when they arrive (which seems to have been TCU lately).

There may be something of an analogy in soccer. The club-level managers who lead the major teams that compete annually in the Champions League are something like the NFL, where you've got a relatively closed group of people who can get coaching gigs and just circulate between different franchises. People like Pep Guardiola, Jose Murinho, Thomas Tuchel, Mauricio Pochettino, etc. move between these clubs. It seems weirdly incestuous, but whenever someone else from outside the group is given a try, it's a disaster, like Graham Potter (who was amazing at Brighton) flopping at Chelsea, or David Moyes failing at Man Utd after great success with Everton, etc. The evidence suggests that there is something about coaching the kind of international superstar thoroughbreds who cost $70M transfer fees and make $10-15M/yr. that is beyond most managers; only a few can do it. And if your manager can't do it, you're better off with worse players, actually.

In the absolute sense, you want the best players, yes. But in reality you want the best players that your actual coaches can get the most out of. That's my theory, anyway.

Diehard

TCU signs 33 on early signing day​

Jeremy Clark

12179905.png

Early signing day has come and TCU announced the signing of 32 new players to the roster. The Frogs signed 21 high schools signees and 11 transfer portal players.

Currently, the overall rank for the class sits at No. 31 in the composite team rankings. TCU’s class also ranks No. 2 in the Big 12. The Frogs also rank No. 4 in the nation in transfer rankings with 13 total commitments at the moment, 11 of those transfer players signed on Wednesday.

In total, the Frogs landed four 4-star prospects from the high school ranks, including two from the 247Sports Top 247 list. Of the 21 high school signees, 18 are from the Lone Star State.

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/tcu/article/tcu-horned-frogs-signing-day-2024-223614518/
247 rankings have tech with one 5* and us with none. But we do have one. The deep snapper. Maybe they don't count special team players, but if they are ranking by points.......well?

What Up Toad

247 rankings have tech with one 5* and us with none. But we do have one. The deep snapper. Maybe they don't count special team players, but if they are ranking by points.......well?
5* for long snappers and kickers/punters are on a different recruiting service. You'll never have either ranked higher than a 3* on 247.

sandiegojack

How about Howard Sampson?

I think the transfers sign some kind of financial aid agreement, which is binding on the school but not the player.

sdj

4 Oaks Frog

Yes. As I said, that's how you eventually get over the hump from good to great. But I think there's also considerable evidence that making that transition is very difficult. You can fail by going too hard after the Blue Chip guys, missing on all of them and getting left with worse players than you had before (that was Mel Tucker at Sparty), or you can land a few of them and not know how to keep them happy when they arrive (which seems to have been TCU lately).

There may be something of an analogy in soccer. The club-level managers who lead the major teams that compete annually in the Champions League are something like the NFL, where you've got a relatively closed group of people who can get coaching gigs and just circulate between different franchises. People like Pep Guardiola, Jose Murinho, Thomas Tuchel, Mauricio Pochettino, etc. move between these clubs. It seems weirdly incestuous, but whenever someone else from outside the group is given a try, it's a disaster, like Graham Potter (who was amazing at Brighton) flopping at Chelsea, or David Moyes failing at Man Utd after great success with Everton, etc. The evidence suggests that there is something about coaching the kind of international superstar thoroughbreds who cost $70M transfer fees and make $10-15M/yr. that is beyond most managers; only a few can do it. And if your manager can't do it, you're better off with worse players, actually.

In the absolute sense, you want the best players, yes. But in reality you want the best players that your actual coaches can get the most out of. That's my theory, anyway.
What?…great is never “too good”.