• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: TCU shuts out Texas, 5-0, to take series opener

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU shuts out Texas, 5-0, to take series opener​

Jamie Plunkett

12397325.jpg

Four Horned Frogs posted multi-hit nights while Payton Tolle did his usual thing, as TCU beat Texas, 5-0, on Friday night. The win marked the first time Texas has been shutout this season.

The game was arguably TCU's most complete performance of the season, with all three phases stepping up in big moments, as the Frogs improved to 23-13 (8-11) on the season.

Tolle turned in another stellar performance, pitching into the eighth inning and striking out seven on 111 pitches, while allowing just four singles and walking two. Tolle mixed in all four of his pitches, playing off his fastball with a good slider, curveball and changeup.

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/tcu/article/tcu-shuts-out-texas-5-0-to-take-series-opener-230713265/

NewFrogFan

Such a weird season. A sweep of Texas would move us from 11th to 2nd or 3rd in the conference.....it's like nobody wants it!
They had a screen on the game showed Rpi of both teams and both being projected as 3rd seeds with 37 and 77 RPI! I thought TCU was worried about making Big 12 T?

FrogBall09

Such a weird season. A sweep of Texas would move us from 11th to 2nd or 3rd in the conference.....it's like nobody wants it!
no it wouldn't. A sweep of Texas would make us 10-11 - which is below .500 for conference play and KState/Cinci are tied for 7th at .500. If Kansas gets swept by Baylor we would jump both Kansas and UCF to move from 11 to 9 in conference standings but both have a series more remaining than we do - so its a soft lead for sure.

The win column doesn't dictate position in baseball - especially when we have played 1 more conference series compared with about half the conference and many of the teams above us.

UCF not playing conference this weekend kind of stinks since they are really the ones we need to jump the most to make the tournament and we don't play them head to head. It will all settle out in the end, but they have one of the easiest remaining schedules in the conference.

Kansas is the other one but we also need to be a game up on them in the W column at the end of the season since they own the head to head with us. But outside of Houston, they have a decently difficult remaining schedule - Baylor this weekend and an L yesterday, Tech, Texas and Kstate. Rooting for Baylor turns my stomach but we need them to win all 3 this weekend.

FrogBall09

They had a screen on the game showed Rpi of both teams and both being projected as 3rd seeds with 37 and 77 RPI! I thought TCU was worried about making Big 12 T?
The guys are D1 are forecasting we make a run the remainder of the season and then go deep in the tourney - but right now we are 11th and not a tourney team,. It's not an easy path since we lost to Kansas and we don't play UCF and both have a conference series in hand compared to us- so we need help from others and to make a run at the same time.

Endless Purple

If everything gets figured out by the team, they have talent, just not showing it during conference road trips (esp in the cold).

I can see them being dangerous if they make the NCAA tournament. (Means they figured something out)

Though they might have wanted to start before 4 today, since it looks like those storms may get to Austin before the game ends.

PurpleBlood87

If everything gets figured out by the team, they have talent, just not showing it during conference road trips (esp in the cold).

I can see them being dangerous if they make the NCAA tournament. (Means they figured something out)

Though they might have wanted to start before 4 today, since it looks like those storms may get to Austin before the game ends.

Winning Sunday and taking the Kansas State series would be huge.

Last edited: