• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: TCU quarterback commit Ty Hawkins headed to SMU for official visit

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU quarterback commit Ty Hawkins headed to SMU for official visit​

Mike Roach

12464634.jpg

Since SMU lost Keelon Russell to Alabama in early June, the Mustangs have been active in pursuing other quarterback targets.

The Mustangs are engaged with one of the best in the state of Texas in TCU commit Ty Hawkins. The Top247 quarterback from San Antonio (Texas) Johnson has been in demand since making his commitment to the Horned Frogs nearly a year ago, but he hasn't been open to taking other visits.

After speaking with sources near the four-star passer, 247Sports has learned that Hawkins is expected to be on campus at SMU for an official visit starting Monday. The 6-foot-1, 200-pound passer is ranked as the nation's No. 15 quarterback and the No. 29 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports.

This is obviously a key moment in the recruitment as Rhett Lashlee and his staff will have an opportunity to make their pitch for him, armed with a new facility and impending move to the ACC this fall.

Froggy Style

You now have to be recruiting top talent for the entire time they are with you (5-6 years potentially) from the time you start recruiting them. If you leave that burden to the coaches/support teams making tons of money to do this, then you can free yourself from worry or disappointment.

Cougar/Frog

If someone has the opportunity to be wined and dined and given "gifts" before someone's senior year in high school, they should do it. It doesn't mean less "committed", it just means "let's have a free vacation".
I will encourage my son to take all the official visits he can. Show up, get swag, whatever. Then go where he really wants to go. Just enjoy the ride first.

TCU quarterback commit Ty Hawkins headed to SMU for official visit​

Mike Roach

12464634.jpg

Since SMU lost Keelon Russell to Alabama in early June, the Mustangs have been active in pursuing other quarterback targets.

The Mustangs are engaged with one of the best in the state of Texas in TCU commit Ty Hawkins. The Top247 quarterback from San Antonio (Texas) Johnson has been in demand since making his commitment to the Horned Frogs nearly a year ago, but he hasn't been open to taking other visits.

After speaking with sources near the four-star passer, 247Sports has learned that Hawkins is expected to be on campus at SMU for an official visit starting Monday. The 6-foot-1, 200-pound passer is ranked as the nation's No. 15 quarterback and the No. 29 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports.

This is obviously a key moment in the recruitment as Rhett Lashlee and his staff will have an opportunity to make their pitch for him, armed with a new facility and impending move to the ACC this fall.
Obviously we dropped the ball in nil again

LisaLT

Did he "De-commit" secretly? I thought this one was a strong commit, if there is such a thing. Isn't he friends with other TCU commits?

There is no reason to take an official visit if you are committed. PERIOD. (unless you are trying to get more money from somewhere else).

This stinks that this is even allowed to happen in college sports.

82 Frog Fever

Did he "De-commit" secretly? I thought this one was a strong commit, if there is such a thing. Isn't he friends with other TCU commits?

There is no reason to take an official visit if you are committed. PERIOD. (unless you are trying to get more money from somewhere else).

I guess that means you don’t want to hear that he is visiting Oregon next.
Oregon wants him bad, as they just missed on a top 100 QB in Keelon Russell.

CryptoMiner

has not de-committed but not sure why they cannot take other officials if committed? We have at least 3 players committed elsewhere coming in on officials this weekend.

stbrab

No, he hasn’t de-committed. I agree, once committed you’d think they’re “committed”. It appears most committed recruits take multiple visits even after they commit. I wouldn’t get too concerned about it.