• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: TCU HC Sonny Dykes talks Frogs' defensive scheme, where improvements can be made

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU HC Sonny Dykes talks Frogs' defensive scheme, where improvements can be made​

Jeremy Clark

TCU has struggled to a 4-6 record overall which includes a disappointing 2-5 record in Big 12 play. The Frogs have lost four games by one score, including three of those games by a field goal.

In some of those losses, the Frogs have given up big points to opponents. In the season opener against Colorado, the Frogs surrendered 45 points and 565 total yards. In a 41-3 loss against Kansas State, the Frogs allowed 587 total yards, including a whopping 343 rushing yards.

In other games, the Frogs’ defense has shined including a strong performance against BYU in a 44-11 win where they held the Cougars to just 243 total yards. In last week’s 29-26 loss to Texas, the Frogs’ defense held the high-scoring Longhorns to just 3 points and 151 total yards in the second half. It was also the first time Texas had been held under 30 points this season.

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/tcu/article/tcu-horned-frogs-sonny-dykes-defensive-scheme-220461489/

It is a good interview worth listening to, to gain insight into what Dykes is thinking and he is on top of a bunch of statistics, comparing last year to this, which I like. I think it reflects well on Dykes.

My concern might be that the success of the 12-0 season maybe biases him as to the effectiveness of Gillespie’s defense which is not at all statistically good, near the bottom, last year and this. Correct me if I am wrong about the defensive statistics. Dykes does point to having only five D linemen when coming on board, the importance of that group to the D, and now having replenished there with a young growing group.

Last edited:

ShreveFrog

End of article quote: "I think you have to play an aggressive style of defense. I think for us we’ve done it at times, and we haven’t at other times. And that’s the frustrating thing.”

Let's see what Gillespie does these last two games. His job may come down to what happens in Norman.

FrogCop19

End of article quote: "I think you have to play an aggressive style of defense. I think for us we’ve done it at times, and we haven’t at other times. And that’s the frustrating thing.”

Let's see what Gillespie does these last two games. His job A firm smack on the back of the hand may come down to what happens in Norman.
FIFY

froginaustin

Let's see what Gillespie does these last two games. His job may come down to what happens in Norman.

See post #2 above.

fanatical frog

It is a good interview worth listening to, to gain insight into what Dykes is thinking and he is on top of a bunch of statistics, comparing last year to this, which I like. I think it reflects well on Dykes.

My concern might be that the success of the 12-0 season maybe biases him as to the effectiveness of Gillespie’s defense which is not at all statistically good, near the bottom, last year and this. Correct me if I am wrong about the defensive statistics. Dykes does point to having only five D linemen when coming on board, the importance of that group to the D, and now having replenished there with a young growing group.
Per the B12 website, TCU ranked 4th the conference in defensive stats (conference games only) in 2022.

Frog Attack II

While I think that we need to bring more pressure vs. just a three man front, it's easy for OC's to figure out how to exploit constant blitzing. Therefore, I don't mind sometimes just rushing three and playing coverage. What drives me absolutely insane though, is that we just bring three a lot of times and then play 12 yds off the ball with our CBs. I just don't understand that philosophy.