• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: TCU HC Sonny Dykes named unanimous Big 12 Coach of the Year

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU HC Sonny Dykes named unanimous Big 12 Coach of the Year​

ByJEREMY CLARK

11463213.jpg

TCU has become the talk of college football for the 2022 season. The Frogs currently sit at 12-0 and No. 3 in the latest CFB playoff rankings and are on the verge of making the playoffs for the first time in program history. The Frogs are also competing for the Big 12 Championship this Saturday when they play No. 10 Kansas State at AT&T Stadium.

Much of that success can be credited to head coach Sonny Dykes, who is in his first year coaching the Frogs. Needless to say, he’s surpassed every expectation in year one. To no surprise, Dykes was awarded as the Big 12 Coach of the Year by unanimous decision on Wednesday.

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Article/TCU-Sonny-Dykes-Big-12-Coach-of-the-year-199151950/

Limey Frog

When Dykes' name was mentioned, my thoughts were that we could do better.

Not sure I have ever been more wrong, and glad I was.

The arguments in favor of Dykes were that he was a solid "B+" hire on the basis of culture fit and the need to identify a candidate early in a hyper-competitive market (where the risk of swinging and missing on candidates with more national interest was high, potentially leaving you looking at your C-list if your B-list guy went somewhere else in the meantime).

Those were good arguments; I was convinced by them. No one saw this coming, no matter how good you felt about Dykes. So I guess we were all wonderfully wrong, and it feels great.

Last edited:

Wexahu

When Dykes' name was mentioned, my thoughts were that we could do better.

Not sure I have ever been more wrong, and glad I was.
Not directing this at you necessarily, but I think so much of that was just based on the guy's persona. His looks....older...bald, he's not cool enough, or tough enough, didn't have awesome youtube videos spitting wisdom in front of his team, or whatever.

That stuff seems really important to people, even more than results sometimes.

CountryFrog

Not directing this at you necessarily, but I think so much of that was just based on the guy's persona. His looks....older...bald, he's not cool enough, or tough enough, didn't have awesome youtube videos spitting wisdom in front of his team, or whatever.

That stuff seems really important to people, even more than results sometimes.
I think it was that plus the less than stellar overall records in his previous HC jobs, especially the one P5 job at Cal.

Of course, if you did any further analysis beyond just that surface stuff then you would see that he actually did a pretty dang good job considering the resources he had at those previous schools. And he's excelled at putting together terrific staffs around him, particularly at SMU, which is maybe the most important job that a HC has and one that the previous guy really failed at in the end.

Wexahu

I think it was that plus the less than stellar overall records in his previous HC jobs, especially the one P5 job at Cal.

Of course, if you did any further analysis beyond just that surface stuff then you would see that he actually did a pretty dang good job considering the resources he had at those previous schools. And he's excelled at putting together terrific staffs around him, particularly at SMU, which is maybe the most important job that a HC has and one that the previous guy really failed at in the end.
This.

And after this year, whoever leaves, the line is going to form to the left for guys itching to come in here and replace them.