• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: TCU 2023 spring camp: Josh Hoover making a splash at quarterback

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU 2023 spring camp: Josh Hoover making a splash at quarterback​

ByJEREMY CLARK

TCU has completed nine practices so far in spring camp with the culmination coming on April 14 for the annual spring game. There are several position battles going on in camp on both sides of the ball.

One position that seemed solidified is at quarterback, where Chandler Morris is looking to retake his starting position. Morris won the battle in fall camp last season and started the season-opener against Colorado before suffering a knee injury. Morris saw limited action the rest of the season thanks to the stellar play from Max Duggan, who ended up being the Heisman runner-up.

With Duggan graduated and Sam Jackson now at Cal, the job is Morris' to lose. Or is it?

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Article/TCU-Horned-Frogs-Josh-Hoover-207816276/

PineyWoodsFrog

I think Morris will prove to be much more durable this season. Good to hear how Hoover has progressed.
I honestly don't get the "injury prone" tag bestowed upon him. Getting your knee twisted up doesn't go into the injury prone category for me. If injury occurs this year, I will back off my stance.

Palliative Care

Duggan had health problems and multiple injuries. Yes he played through them but he still missed games and starts.

That said Morris is much smaller than Duggan. So he should not take the hits Duggan gave up his body for if he can help it. This offense requires a mobile quarterback. The odds are that Morris could get injured and be out for a while.

I believe that TCU needs two qualified backup quarterbacks. But you can not just go out and entice a highly qualified quarterback to come here if you do not give him a situation that allows him to compete to become a starter. For this reason I believe that Morris will not be named as the starter until fall camp.

2themax

Duggan had health problems and multiple injuries. Yes he played through them but he still missed games and starts.

That said Morris is much smaller than Duggan. So he should not take the hits Duggan gave up his body for if he can help it. This offense requires a mobile quarterback. The odds are that Morris could get injured and be out for a while.

I believe that TCU needs two qualified backup quarterbacks. But you can not just go out and entice a highly qualified quarterback to come here if you do not give him a situation that allows him to compete to become a starter. For this reason I believe that Morris will not be named as the starter until fall camp.
Agree with bringing in 2 qb's.
Not quite ready to possibly be putting that much pressure on a young inexperienced qb.
Not this soon.

NavyFrog

What I don't understand is why so many here think Morris is the second coming of Andy Dalton. He has played significant time in 4 games total at TCU. In the 3 games in 2021 against KSU (111 yards passing/18 rushing), against Baylor (461passing/70 Rushing), OSU (125 passing/-25 rushing) and of course in 2022 against CU, one of the worst team in all of college football, he 111 yards passing and 18 rushing before going out with an injury. So far he hasn't shown me anything that makes me believe that our offense is going to be anywhere as good as it was last year.

FloridaFrog76129

What I don't understand is why so many here think Morris is the second coming of Andy Dalton. He has played significant time in 4 games total at TCU. In the 3 games in 2021 against KSU (111 yards passing/18 rushing), against Baylor (461passing/70 Rushing), OSU (125 passing/-25 rushing) and of course in 2022 against CU, one of the worst team in all of college football, he 111 yards passing and 18 rushing before going out with an injury. So far he hasn't shown me anything that makes me believe that our offense is going to be anywhere as good as it was last year.
How many TCU QBs have ever thrown for >400 yards in a conference game?

Duggan never did and broke 300 maybe 5 times (FCS doesn’t count)

Limey Frog

This is encouraging. At this moment, I have no confidence that Morris will last through the Colorado game, much less the entire season. So we need Hoover to be ready.
Seriously. This is quoting Morris from the ESPN article:

This spring, Morris has looked efficient in practice, distributing the ball and using his feet, in Briles' offense.
Maybe this isn't fair and it likely isn't rational, but whenever Max took off running and inevitably leaned into every tackle I was never nervous; the guy seemed unbreakable. I'll have my heart in my mouth every time Chandler runs.

CryptoMiner

Think I’ll trust the coach’s opinion before anyone on this board.

Eight

personally don't ever recall him being compared to dalton and actually andy as a sophomore wasn't asked to do what morris is going to be asked to do in this offense

he has flashed potential as noted he did throw for 461 yards which is the 4th highest one game total in tcu history

he is a career 66% completion percentage and that would place him among the tcu career leaders

his command of the offense last year was good enough he won the starting job and what gets forgotten or just outright ignored is he lead tcu on two scoring drives coming out of halftime going 7 of 8 for 80 yards, and made throws on 3rd and 10 on the first 2nd half drive and 3rd and 7 on the second to continue the drives and result in points

the biggest reason though is what crypto said, sonny believes he can....

Last edited:

Hemingway

I honestly don't get the "injury prone" tag bestowed upon him. Getting your knee twisted up doesn't go into the injury prone category for me. If injury occurs this year, I will back off my stance.
It was a non contact injury…
Confused Power Rangers GIF

CryptoMiner

no question another experienced QB in the room would be of benefit/comfort, but Dykes has said Morris is the starter. And even if he hadn't said that everyone with any familiarity with the program knows he is the starter as would anyone looking to transfer here.

It is going to be very difficult to get anyone even good enough to compete for the backup position, especially someone with experience with the Briles offense.

Latest posts