• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: Lincoln Riley addresses media on TCU game week

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Lincoln Riley addresses media on TCU game week

By JOEY HELMER

NORMAN, Okla. — The ninth-ranked Sooners are fresh off their lone bye week of the season, which was far from an off week. Head coach Lincoln Riley announced the dismissal of defensive coordinator Mike Stoops a week ago, and the subsequent promotion of Ruffin McNeill to interim defensive coordinator and Bob Diaco from defensive analyst to outside linebackers coach.

"Excited to get back on the field this week," Riley said. "It's been, I think, a very, very productive bye week. Very pleased with how our team, our staff, just really the program as a whole attacked the bye week. We set out a plan Monday for things that we wanted to accomplish throughout the week. Thought the staff did a great job putting together the plan, and then the players really responded. We had several great practices, and then had a chance to get our guys out of town here this weekend, get coaches on the road recruiting, and then most importantly get our players away from it.

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/oklah...ses-media-on-TCU-Horned-Frogs-week-123376881/

FrogLifeYo

A school dead set on moving on from Mike Stoops because the game has passed him by, has now turned the play calling over to an older less relevant guy. It just so happens that the older less relevant guy also was the position coach for their def Line which has been one of their worst units of their defense.....Yah that’s gonna work out just fine....

It’s a good thing our offense is on the schedule this week..

Eight

A school dead set on moving on from Mike Stoops because the game has passed him by, has now turned the play calling over to an older less relevant guy. It just so happens that the older less relevant guy also was the position coach for their def Line which has been one of their worst units of their defense.....Yah that’s gonna work out just fine....

It’s a good thing our offense is on the schedule this week..

i will really be surprised if this move is a "permanent" promotion for ruffin.

mike has not been good since he came back from az, he got embarrassed by clemson and i am curious if this was more a move by lincoln to make the program truly his and remove the last traces of bob from the program.

it isn't always about what the interim can do as much as what they aren't or don't do

FrogLifeYo

i will really be surprised if this move is a "permanent" promotion for ruffin.

mike has not been good since he came back from az, he got embarrassed by clemson and i am curious if this was more a move by lincoln to make the program truly his and remove the last traces of bob from the program.

it isn't always about what the interim can do as much as what they aren't or don't do

He has certainly wasn’t the defensive mind he was pre-Zona but I think most of that was because of a massive drop off in defensive recruiting. The reality is defensive lineman don’t want to play in this conference. When the blue bloods feel the pinch you know it’s real.

Eight

He has certainly wasn’t the defensive mind he was pre-Zona but I think most of that was because of a massive drop off in defensive recruiting. The reality is defensive lineman don’t want to play in this conference. When the blue bloods feel the pinch you know it’s real.

i don't buy defensive linemen don't want to play in this conference.

both ou and texas have recruited well in that area and if the talent didn't develop that wasn't a byproduct of the conference.

i do believe quality defensive line recruits are a premium because they are rare and outside of texas you have limited prospects produced in oklahoma, kansas, iowa, and west virginia. yet another reason why adding another in texas school to the big 12 is a bad idea.

ou and texas have broaden their search for defensive line talent and i think every school in the conference needs to do this as well. tcu has done in by going into louisiana, florida, and now ohio.

would love to see tcu expand more into california as well as the other states

FrogLifeYo

Up here in Oklahoma I can tell you the talk is the same as in the Fort...DTs are to small and they haven’t had a difference maker at DT since Gerald McCoy...OU fans may agree that they haven’t developed their talent well, but they all will tell you that they haven’t recruited well in the DL

Eight

Up here in Oklahoma I can tell you the talk is the same as in the Fort...DTs are to small and they haven’t had a difference maker at DT since Gerald McCoy...OU fans may agree that they haven’t developed their talent well, but they all will tell you that they haven’t recruited well in the DL

i think a big part of that is that mike doesn't know what he needs to recruit for the 3-man front.

they continually have tried to play kids that were 7 techniques in a 4-man front and are now being asked to play head up on a tackle that has them by 60-70 lbs. losing proposition.

same with their linebackers who don't fit the scheme. you know there is far more than drawing [ Finebaum ] up on a chalk board. you have to be able to teach it, call it, and recruit it.

orlando has done a great job identifying the kids that will fit in his scheme at texas but he has had to project some kids as well as travel a bit. key is he knows what he needs to make it work.

mike never did and his switching from a base 4-3 to the 3-3-5 or whatever odd man front combination he was running reminded me of when wacker went from the veer to the run-n-shoot. just because you go watch some practices and you can draw it up doesn't mean you can make it work.

FrogLifeYo

i think a big part of that is that mike doesn't know what he needs to recruit for the 3-man front.

they continually have tried to play kids that were 7 techniques in a 4-man front and are now being asked to play head up on a tackle that has them by 60-70 lbs. losing proposition.

same with their linebackers who don't fit the scheme. you know there is far more than drawing [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] up on a chalk board. you have to be able to teach it, call it, and recruit it.

orlando has done a great job identifying the kids that will fit in his scheme at texas but he has had to project some kids as well as travel a bit. key is he knows what he needs to make it work.

mike never did and his switching from a base 4-3 to the 3-3-5 or whatever odd man front combination he was running reminded me of when wacker went from the veer to the run-n-shoot. just because you go watch some practices and you can draw it up doesn't mean you can make it work.

Honestly I am trying to remember the last Big12 Def Tackle drafted...I can’t..DEs yes but DTs...Man I’m not sure...I’m certain someone hasn’t post 5th round. Keep in mind most drafts will have 20+ Interior lineman drafted in the first 5 rounds..My guess since we’ve joined the Big 12..Meaning 100+ Interior lineman draftees..your probably talking about less than 5 out of this conference...If that’s not startling

Eight

Honestly I am trying to remember the last Big12 Def Tackle drafted...I can’t..DEs yes but DTs...Man I’m not sure...I’m certain someone hasn’t post 5th round. Keep in mind most drafts will have 20+ Interior lineman drafted in the first 5 rounds..My guess since we’ve joined the Big 12..Meaning 100+ Interior lineman draftees..your probably talking about less than 5 out of this conference...If that’s not startling

7 big 12 defensive tackles have been drafted since 2012. the last was vincent taylor from ok. state in 2017

only 4 schools have had a defensive tackle drafted in the nfl since 2012

texas(3)
kheeston randall (2012)
malcolm brown (2015)
hassan ridgeway (2016)

ou(2)
stacy mcgee (2013)
jordan phillips (2015)

osu(1)
vincent taylor (2017)

baylor (1)
andrew billings (2016)

i think using the nfl draft as a measuring stick is high because to play defensive tackle you either need to be massive or an exceptional athlete. frogs paring of hunter and pierson is probably the best patterson has had to date and neither had the size or the athletic ability. not a knock on them, but i don't think nfl defensive tackles are developed as much as born

thinking about it, big ross is the first defensive tackle patterson has had with the massive size, bethley might make it if he continues to develop, and karter johnson looks to have that size and possible athletic combination.

don't think it is the conference as much as the recruiting grounds. consider that since 2012 according to 247 the most defensive tackle recruits that have been among the top 50 in texas has been 6 in 2016. to give you a perspective on that number in 2017-2019 on 7 defensive tackle recruits were among the top 50 which was actually 150 slots over that 3 year period.

here is the list

#7 leal - atm
#37 ellison - atm

#13 coburn - ut
#18 brown - atm
#27 avery - illinois

#1 wilson - fsu
#44 peevy - atm

#2 oliver - uh
#14 jones - bama
#19 elliott - ut
#27 daniel - ut
#38 blacklock - tcu
#50 williams - stanford

#2 mack - atm
#39 daniels - ok state
#47 lampkin- ut

#17 washington - atm
#28 henderson- atm

#10 manning - atm
#12 golden - atm
#18 billings - bay
#43 walker - atm

#2 edwards -fsu
#3 brown -ut
#8 magee - bay
#41 boyette - ut

Peacefrog

Degenerate
7 big 12 defensive tackles have been drafted since 2012. the last was vincent taylor from ok. state in 2017

only 4 schools have had a defensive tackle drafted in the nfl since 2012

texas(3)
kheeston randall (2012)
malcolm brown (2015)
hassan ridgeway (2016)

ou(2)
stacy mcgee (2013)
jordan phillips (2015)

osu(1)
vincent taylor (2017)

baylor (1)
andrew billings (2016)

i think using the nfl draft as a measuring stick is high because to play defensive tackle you either need to be massive or an exceptional athlete. frogs paring of hunter and pierson is probably the best patterson has had to date and neither had the size or the athletic ability. not a knock on them, but i don't think nfl defensive tackles are developed as much as born

thinking about it, big ross is the first defensive tackle patterson has had with the massive size, bethley might make it if he continues to develop, and karter johnson looks to have that size and possible athletic combination.

don't think it is the conference as much as the recruiting grounds. consider that since 2012 according to 247 the most defensive tackle recruits that have been among the top 50 in texas has been 6 in 2016. to give you a perspective on that number in 2017-2019 on 7 defensive tackle recruits were among the top 50 which was actually 150 slots over that 3 year period.

here is the list

#7 leal - atm
#37 ellison - atm

#13 coburn - ut
#18 brown - atm
#27 avery - illinois

#1 wilson - fsu
#44 peevy - atm

#2 oliver - uh
#14 jones - bama
#19 elliott - ut
#27 daniel - ut
#38 blacklock - tcu
#50 williams - stanford

#2 mack - atm
#39 daniels - ok state
#47 lampkin- ut

#17 washington - atm
#28 henderson- atm

#10 manning - atm
#12 golden - atm
#18 billings - bay
#43 walker - atm

#2 edwards -fsu
#3 brown -ut
#8 magee - bay
#41 boyette - ut
Aggy sure can waste some talent.

FrogLifeYo

same with their linebackers who don't fit the scheme. you know there is far more than drawing [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] up on a chalk board. you have to be able to teach it, call it, and recruit it.

FYI...sounds like they are going back to the 4-3 against us

tcumaniac

"Extremely, extremely talented team, skill position wise I don't know that we've faced a team that has the quality of skill players that this group does. You talk about one of the most dynamic return guys in the country in KaVontae Turpin. I wish he'd hurry up and graduate. He's pretty special, fun to watch. And then obviously the receivers, the backs, they're just loaded with very, very good skill talent, and the biggest thing you see with them is team speed. I mean, it's always been good. TCU teams have always been fast, and this group is certainly no different.'

I know a lot of that is coach speak, but it isn't far from the truth. Our team is loaded with talent. Makes you sick with how poorly our offense has been performing.

Latest posts