• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: Dave Wannstedt reveals realignment rumors

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Texas won the Director's Cup last year and that was with Herman (top 16) and Smart (won b12 tournament). The future is bright for Texas athletics.
Actually, you may be looking at the zenith of your programs. Your leaders have made a move from a Conference in which they ran things, to a Conference where they are an afterthought. If you didn't like TCU beating the tar out of you every year, what makes you think that somehow those same players are suddenly going to get all better and beat Alabama? LSU? Ole Miss? News flash: They won't. You'll be getting the living crap kicked out of you every weekend, and the rest of us will be laughing our asses off.

Why are you still here? You wanted to go, so go. Adios.

Jared7

Actually, you may be looking at the zenith of your programs. Your leaders have made a move from a Conference in which they ran things, to a Conference where they are an afterthought. If you didn't like TCU beating the tar out of you every year, what makes you think that somehow those same players are suddenly going to get all better and beat Alabama? LSU? Ole Miss? News flash: They won't. You'll be getting the living crap kicked out of you every weekend, and the rest of us will be laughing our asses off.

Why are you still here? You wanted to go, so go. Adios.
Well, it wasn't every year. Here are the TCU-UT scores in the Big 12:

2012 - TCU 20 Texas 13
2013 - Texas 30 TCU 7
2014 - TCU 48 Texas 10
2015 - TCU 50 Texas 7 (my personal fave)
2016 - TCU 31 Texas 9 (we finished Strong)
2017 - TCU 24 Texas 7
2018 - Texas 31 TCU 16
2019 - TCU 37 Texas 27
2020 - TCU 33 Texas 31

Beating Stanford for the Director's Cup is impressive. Of course, it took a COVID year when the Cardinal delayed their schedule in virtually every sport or didn't even play at all...

Purp

Stanford won it 25 years in a row until last year. I don’t recall anyone sucking off Stanford for winning the Director’s Cup…ever. And no one was saying their athletics future (i.e., football bc that’s all that matters) was bright.
Beat me to it. Also, the fact that Stanford either canceled or curtailed much of their athletics seasons due to corona may be the only reason Texas won. The award has been won by someone other than Stanford once or twice since its inception. This is a meaningless achievement in a football primacy debate b/c it simply requires that your athletics department compete in as many sports as possible.

ETA: Naturally Jared beat me to the other point I made. Oh well, they all bear repeating.

Limey Frog

One thing that taking only two schools won't achieve is killing the Big XII. If other conferences want members to get out cost-free they can't leave more than two leftovers on the sad train.

Baylor (fingers crossed).

froglash88

Well, it wasn't every year. Here are the TCU-UT scores in the Big 12:

2012 - TCU 20 Texas 13
2013 - Texas 30 TCU 7
2014 - TCU 48 Texas 10
2015 - TCU 50 Texas 7 (my personal fave)
2016 - TCU 31 Texas 9 (we finished Strong)
2017 - TCU 24 Texas 7
2018 - Texas 31 TCU 16
2019 - TCU 37 Texas 27
2020 - TCU 33 Texas 31

Beating Stanford for the Director's Cup is impressive. Of course, it took a COVID year when the Cardinal delayed their schedule in virtually every sport or didn't even play at all...

In 2015 I had several friends and family members fly into FW for the UT game to celebrate my 50th. At one point the score was 50-0. It was an amazing birthday present. JD one handed catch in the end zone was the icing.