• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

God bless America what a truly awful choice for the final.
I think it'll be great. I saw the first sporting event there and it was a Gold Cup double header. Mexico was the 2nd game that day and the place was electric. Also got GC tix when the Nats played Jamaica a few years ago and took the boys. It was a great place to watch the game. They'll have the roof closed, but aside from that it'll be great. It's one of few NFL venues that can accommodate a full sized FIFA pitch of the proper width without needing to move stands and they don't have bad problems when they put turf in.

dawg

DC doesn't have a main stadium where the national team plays like other capitols (Wembley in London, Stade de France in Paris, Azteca*, etc), and the MNT doesn't have an main stadium in another city (the Maracanã in Rio). As @Purp noted, it's actually a good venue for international soccer. So I'm OK with the final at The Stadjium.

Looking at it from a purely sporting perspective, and maybe I'm biased because of undimmed glory of 1/1/2011, IMHO the Final should be played at The Rose Bowl. It's the most iconic sporting venue we have in the States, and there would be a nice symmetry of the 1994 and 2026 Finals at the same venue. Heck, I'd be perfectly fine if the CFP put the MNC title game there every year. But it doesn't have what FIFA wants these days: loads of luxury suites and the ability to cram in over 100k (which Jerrah will bring in as many erector set bleachers as he can) to maximize the bag.

Plus, if Berhalter gets a brain transplant and the MNT by some miracle make it to the Final, I will be able to attend.

*insert obligatory "get scheissed, LLLa tri."

Chongo94

Here’s the problem with it being the main final….all anyone ever does at the Deathstar, regardless of the sport, is watch tv.

That damn monster screen makes it a horrible choice for any sporting event in my opinion. And that’s where I’m coming from mainly….I don’t want to waste hundreds or thousands of dollars at any even watching a screen when I know I can watch a screen of the same event at my home.

Last edited:

Purp

Here’s the problem with it being the main final….all anyone ever does at the Deathstar, regardless of the sport, is watch tv.

That damn monster screen makes it a horrible choice for any sporting event in my opinion. And that’s where I’m coming from mainly….I don’t want to waste hundreds or thousands of dollars at any even watching a screen when I know I can watch a screen of the same event at my home.
But you can't have 100K fans rattle your bones with noise at home. That Jamaica game was great and it was boring as hell.

dawg

DFW airport is right up the road, we are centrally-located within the US, and likely the most important reason: Jerrah will find a way to cram over well over 100k into The Stadjium and make FIFA the most money.

college gameday sport GIF

Purp

View attachment 15664MNT‘s three group matches will be SoFi, Seattle, and SoFi again.

Jerrah will get a semi, and nine matches total.
I'm not sure this won't change either. I read this week that Kroenke, who owns SoFi, has been in a dispute with FIFA about how to split match day revenues and SoFi is no longer going to host ANY WC matches. One idea is that the games planned for SoFi could shift to the Rose Bowl, but the latest idea I saw was shifting them to Vegas.

This switch to MetLife reeks of corruption to me. I wonder if NYC will be able to clear up hotel space from illegal aliens before the WC. I can see the WC final being a disaster there. They also have the added problem of the playing surface being 10-15 yards narrower than FIFA's prescribed pitch width. I saw they proposed removing 1,000 seats to make room, but that was still going to leave sidelines dangerously close to the field side walls.

Jerruh should now start raising hell like Adams and Murphy did last month.

Purp

This works better for sure and on my pocketbook too ha.
I'll certainly be less tempted to splurge on attending the final. After having already been to LA for the CFP final last year I'm not very interested in going there for a game either. Seattle would be a spectacular venue for a USMNT WC match, though. Probably the best America has to offer bc their fans are bonkers and the stadium is excellent too.

dawg

I'm not sure this won't change either. I read this week that Kroenke, who owns SoFi, has been in a dispute with FIFA about how to split match day revenues and SoFi is no longer going to host ANY WC matches. One idea is that the games planned for SoFi could shift to the Rose Bowl, but the latest idea I saw was shifting them to Vegas.

This switch to MetLife reeks of corruption to me. I wonder if NYC will be able to clear up hotel space from illegal aliens before the WC. I can see the WC final being a disaster there. They also have the added problem of the playing surface being 10-15 yards narrower than FIFA's prescribed pitch width. I saw they proposed removing 1,000 seats to make room, but that was still going to leave sidelines dangerously close to the field side walls.

Jerruh should now start raising hell like Adams and Murphy did last month.
I’d love to see that. The Rose Bowl is our Crown Jewel, far and away our finest sporting venue.

Seattle would be a spectacular venue for a USMNT WC match, though. Probably the best America has to offer bc their fans are bonkers and the stadium is excellent too.
Agree. Seattle has one of (if not the) the best football cultures in the States. Lumen Field is lit for Sounders matches; it’ll be off the charts for an MNT WC match.

Purp

I noticed this weekend that Forest did sign another GK and Turner was relegated to the bench. He's got the right mentality to fight for his spot, but he's now lost his starting job twice in the first half of the season. It's not looking good for him at Forest. If they get hammered for financial fair play violations it may be a good thing for him to move on at the end of the season anyway.