• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

geefrogs

64a66-16455286983845-1920.jpg

It's working.

Purp

Believe so but some thought it might not be so long but today it was apparently officially confirmed, sadly.
I'm still seeing that there's a chance he returns for the last couple weeks unless he has a setback in recovery. Unless he had that setback today I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

I've felt all along that he might not play again until camp for next season since he'd only be fit enough to be a sub theist couple games, but if Juve were in a tight battle for a top 4 spot they might just run him out there for half an hour each game the last couple weeks. But if they're safe or nowhere near a top 4 spot they wouldn't risk rushing him back.

Chongo94

I'm still seeing that there's a chance he returns for the last couple weeks unless he has a setback in recovery. Unless he had that setback today I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

I've felt all along that he might not play again until camp for next season since he'd only be fit enough to be a sub theist couple games, but if Juve were in a tight battle for a top 4 spot they might just run him out there for half an hour each game the last couple weeks. But if they're safe or nowhere near a top 4 spot they wouldn't risk rushing him back.
Allegri came out and said he’s done for the season as in they won’t even be playing him apparently.

I’m not sure when Serie A actually ends, so I guess that could happen but going by Allegri’s statements, it seems unlikely sadly.

Purp

Allegri came out and said he’s done for the season as in they won’t even be playing him apparently.

I’m not sure when Serie A actually ends, so I guess that could happen but going by Allegri’s statements, it seems unlikely sadly.

Up until late last week I had been reading an expected 8-10 week recovery for him. The injury happened February 23rd (I think it was the 23rd b/c it was a midweek UCL game a couple weeks ago) so 8 weeks would have put him back in late April and 10 weeks would have been first week of May. Matchday 38 for Juve is May 22nd so he realistically could have taken a week to get fit after a 10 week layoff and still contributed in the final 2 matches. I'm wondering if something happened in rehab to delay his recovery. Or maybe they found something else that they didn't see a couple weeks ago?

It just seems odd that they would rule him out for the entire season when they'll very likely be in a top 4 battle in May and could use his abilities in midfield to help secure that spot. If his recovery was 8 weeks he could have played in the last 4-5 matches. That's not insignificant at the end of the season when you have something to play for.

Purp

After reading those and a couple articles about Allegri's comments there doesn't sound like any additional injury or rehab trouble. It almost sounds completely precautionary. But given the banged up nature of his midfield (his other comments around the McKennie statement lamented how thin he was in midfield) and the tightness of the top 4 race they're in I wonder if the club would reevaluate Weston in a couple months if they're still struggling with midfield injuries and have McKennie well enough to contribute.

The statement Allegri made couldn't be more matter-of-fact and clear, but the TCU fan in me immediately noticed the lack of detail supporting the statement, the way it conflicted with prior estimates of 8-10 weeks, and the apparent risk to the club's success presented without WM and I couldn't help but wonder if there was a little CGP injury subterfuge going on here in an attempt to get some sympathy or manipulate someone of influence.

Purp

So apparently Turner has an ankle injury and may not be available for the last window and Steffen is still dealing with back and shoulder injuries and hasn't dressed for City in a couple months so a lot of folks think he won't be available either. We might be seeing Johnson or Horvath in goal at Azteca without McKennie and a less fit Reyna. I'm close to preparing myself for the qualifying playoff with the Oceana region.

Purp

Part of me hopes something happens so that CONCACAF can ban fans at Mexico home matches for a couple years. But I hope it doesn't bc the last thing I want is an American being injured by a fracas in that place. I couldn't bring myself to go there for a Nats game. I felt safer in Iraq than I would at Azteca after an Aaronson goal.

Chongo94

So much ball on tonight!

Switching between FC Dallas vs Nashville and Cruz Azul vs Pumas while waiting for the Superclasico later. And after that, the replay of the Sounders versus the Galaxy starting at 11….nice.

Last edited:

Purp

No real complaints. Thought Sargent might get a call. Hope Turner being out doesn’t bite us in the ass. Let’s go qualify!

Surprised to see Steffen. That's a good sign. Hope Dest can actually go. I doubt it, though. Think we'll see Bello or Scally get added soon. I'm glad to see Palmer-Brown get more looks, but don't get the Sands inclusion over Brooks. Seems like Berhalter has something against Brooks at this point. He's been in pretty good form recently for Wolfsburg and still can't break through again. His experience would be huge in this window.