• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

So Pepi is just a natural up top. He's always in the right place. Every goal happened bc of a key contribution from him. And he's still going to keep getting better for 5+ years.

I think the most important sub was A-Rob. The 2nd most important sub was Yedlin. When Adams went to the midfield we took over the center of the park. That's no coincidence. 3rd most was Aaronson. He's a high energy guy with a ton of integrity. He doesn't cheat his team or the fans.

Acosta looked tired tonight. He didn't have his best performance, but he mucked it up and made it physical. He's fortunate to have not earned a few yellow cards.

Miles Robinson may be our best center back. Brooks again looked a bit lackluster. McKenzie was also excellent. It's so weird bc in the spring we thought we had 1 center back and a battle between Long and Miazga. Now those guys are an afterthought and our sure fire guy might not be one of our two best.

Sands came off about 73 minutes too late. I said during the GC that I don't think he's a CB. He's better suited for the #6 role and it makes absolutely zero sense playing him in the middle of the 5 back line when Adams or Acosta are available. Then when he clearly struggled more than anyone else on the pitch (except for maybe Berhalter) there was no reason to keep him out there.

Aaronson is a dude. He's going to be an ideal supersub at wing when Gio and Pulisic are healthy. He just works so hard and his energy is infectious.

That was a fun 2nd half, but none of it happens without A-Rob and Adams going to his natural #6 spot.

Purp

He was also much more physical tonight it seemed than what I’ve seen of him in prior occasions. Definitely outmuscled some guys.
Watch him play for Fulham. They got relegated, but he was a monster in the Premiership last season too. He drew a lot of high praise from opponents. He's legit. I previously thought Dest just had to be our better option at left back bc I really loved Cannon at right back. But Robinson is our best outside back right now. It's just true. He strong defensively and does well going forward. He's not as sexy as Dest with the ball at his feet, but he's not a defensive liability like Dest is at times.

Purp

I think we have our striker.
I'm hopeful like everyone, but I've been equally impressed by early performances from names like Eddie Johnson, Jozy, Zardes, Agudelo...

Don't get me wrong. I've been high on Pepi since I saw him last season with FCD, but it's still early yet and I'm a USMNT fan who's been burned by promising young strikers before.

Farmfrog

Much needed three points. Pepi was fantastic and the subs played well. Still the first half was as bad as the game at T&T a few years ago. Berhalter wants to continually tinker with the formations and XI. Play the formation we know and the players who fit it. Bring in the best players for all positions the next window.

Moose Stuff

Much needed three points. Pepi was fantastic and the subs played well. Still the first half was as bad as the game at T&T a few years ago. Berhalter wants to continually tinker with the formations and XI. Play the formation we know and the players who fit it. Bring in the best players for all positions the next window.

Did he not bring in the best players for all positions this window? Only guy not here that I wish would have been was Hoppe (and maybe Cannon) but there was a reason for that.

Farmfrog

This is an interesting quote from Matthew Doyle of MLS Soccer.

So here’s what it comes down to: my biggest question going forward with this team isn’t the talent or the knowhow, since the talent is there and the knowhow is rapidly accruing. Rather, it’s whether Berhalter can tame his mad scientist instincts and get this squad to do all the basic things right before adding a reasonable amount of bells and whistles