• The KillerFrogs

2023-2023 CFB Transfer Portal

Did you look at their schedule while looking at their stats? They caught Kansas, K-State and OU all at home (and credit to them for winning those games) and outside of that their schedule was really soft.

They got demolished by UCF and South Alabama and needed OT to beat BYU in Stillwater. Not a good team but they ended up in the CCG and winning 10 games. College football is weird sometimes.
I am not saying Bowman is Tom Brady. Last year we were apparently telling our former backup, redshirt freshman QB to not run because we had nothing behind him. Would have been nice to have someone like Bowman last year. Maybe Seals is that guy for 2024 but now we don’t have Morris. Think our recent history shows we may need 3 QB’s that have taken some college snaps so we don’t have to play with such caution at the QB position.

CountryFrog

I am not saying Bowman is Tom Brady. Last year we were apparently telling our former backup, redshirt freshman QB to not run because we had nothing behind him. Would have been nice to have someone like Bowman last year. Maybe Seals is that guy for 2024 but now we don’t have Morris. Think our recent history shows we may need 3 QB’s that have taken some college snaps so we don’t have to play with such caution at the QB position.
We brought in a guy basically exactly like Bowman last year and he quit the team before fall camp. [ Finebaum ] happens.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Kansas State Transfer QB Will Howard Commits to Ohio State

www.msn.com.ico
Sports Illustrated on MSN.com|8 hours ago
The Ohio State Buckeyes have secured a veteran quarterback for the 2024 season in Kansas State transfer Will Howard.

Limey Frog

Will Howard to Ohio State? That strikes me as an odd one.
I thought he was trending toward USC at one point, which would have been even weirder. I think he's a better fit at Ohio State, where he'll have a good defense and running game to help him, alongside the usual all-world receiving corps. USC (i.e., Riley) needs a super-human QB just to win more games than he loses, even at USC.

Howard is a solid QB. I could see him winning with the talent he'll have around him at Ohio State and against mostly-inferior Big Ten opponents. He may be a downgrade from Justin Fields, but with his level of experience he will be an upgrade from Kyle McCord, with whom Ohio State won eleven games without looking very convincing.

Limey Frog

He may want to be the starter but he won’t be unless Hoover gets hurt.
I'd be surprised to learn that he came here unless he felt the QB1 role was an open competition. I have no idea who is better between him and Hoover. I hope that, unlike the past two seasons, the best practice/camp QB is also the best gameday QB. I also hope that, unlike last year, if our not-very-highly-touted transfer QB initially loses the job he will be willing to stick around and do a job as QB2, biding his time for a chance to play that is very likely to come at some point.

I liked a lot of what we saw from Hoover and I'm rooting for him. He was just a rFr. but showed a lot of promise in a difficult season with no help from his defense and a less-than-desired offensive line. Seals, though, has thrown for thousands of yards and quite a few TDs against SEC defenses on a team with inferior talent. That has to count for something. Right now we have two QBs who might turn out to be more than serviceable. When was the last time we went into a season with certainty that our QB situation was any better than that? I feel like TCU football always has questions at QB. Sometimes they're answered the way we hoped, sometimes they're answered the other way. Here's hoping in 2024 the answers are a bit more like 2014 or 2022 than some of the more forgettable years.

Palliative Care

I do not know what the expectations should be for the QB position, however serviceable sounds like low hanging fruit. I hope that we could have higher expectations as we go into the next season. I guess that we will see.

FrogCop19

I know I've said this before somewhere, but I saw Hoover make some laser-like throws, threading the needle between defenders, when he has had time. I've seen him look off receivers to draw safeties, then turn and make a great toss for positive yards, when he has had time. I've even seen him look out at a field of well-covered receivers, then tuck it and run...when he has had time. Yes, he's made some bad throws into coverage, but again, if I'm not mistaken, nearly every bad throw has been because he's under pressure from the holes in our O-line.

This is one of the reasons I'm so excited the coaching staff has apparently made linemen a priority in the early signing period. I'm not saying Hoover is the ultimate solution, and I'm not even saying that Seals won't beat him out for the position, but I truly like what I've seen from him so far. I'm even more excited to see what Hauss brings to the QB room this spring.

fanatical frog

I know I've said this before somewhere, but I saw Hoover make some laser-like throws, threading the needle between defenders, when he has had time. I've seen him look off receivers to draw safeties, then turn and make a great toss for positive yards, when he has had time. I've even seen him look out at a field of well-covered receivers, then tuck it and run...when he has had time. Yes, he's made some bad throws into coverage, but again, if I'm not mistaken, nearly every bad throw has been because he's under pressure from the holes in our O-line.

This is one of the reasons I'm so excited the coaching staff has apparently made linemen a priority in the early signing period. I'm not saying Hoover is the ultimate solution, and I'm not even saying that Seals won't beat him out for the position, but I truly like what I've seen from him so far. I'm even more excited to see what Hauss brings to the QB room this spring.

Excellent post.

I would add the following to the bolded phrase above, "then tuck it and run, when the OC allows him to".

While I'm at it, going as far back as the Dalton era, this forum has been unreasonably demanding on our QB's. IMHO, our focus should be on the OL. We'll get better play from the QB position when we get better play from our OL.

FrogCop19

Excellent post.

I would add the following to the bolded phrase above, "then tuck it and run, when the OC allows him to".

While I'm at it, going as far back as the Dalton era, this forum has been unreasonably demanding on our QB's. IMHO, our focus should be on the OL. We'll get better play from the QB position when we get better play from our OL.
I will add to that bolded part, there is no way in hell that they DIDN'T tell him to hold back from running because there was literally no one behind him. They wanted him to throw the ball away instead of risking getting pummeled on a scramble/run, and I think some of those throw-aways ended up being INT's because maybe he was trying to get it close to the WR instead of just throwing the ball 30 yards out of bounds. I remember in one of those last few games where he scrambled for 15+ yards, down to the 2 or 3 yardline. Of course, when he got up he had a little hitch in his giddyup, but two plays later he trotted into the endzone for a TD.

He CAN run, but I truly think he wasn't ALLOWED to.

Chongo94

I thought he was trending toward USC at one point, which would have been even weirder. I think he's a better fit at Ohio State, where he'll have a good defense and running game to help him, alongside the usual all-world receiving corps. USC (i.e., Riley) needs a super-human QB just to win more games than he loses, even at USC.

Howard is a solid QB. I could see him winning with the talent he'll have around him at Ohio State and against mostly-inferior Big Ten opponents. He may be a downgrade from Justin Fields, but with his level of experience he will be an upgrade from Kyle McCord, with whom Ohio State won eleven games without looking very convincing.
He’s solid for sure and always looked great against us but I’ve always viewed him as a runner first and average passer second. Seems an odd mix for OSU and the offenses they like to run but who knows, he could light things up I guess.

Zubaz

I'm not saying he was bad. He wasn't. But he wasn't so blatantly perfect that his QB1 status should be unquestionable
Yeah I don't get it either. A backup freshman 3-Star QB played like a backup freshman 3-Star QB. Won the games he should have, lost the games we would expect him to, made the usual mistakes.