• The KillerFrogs

2022 MLB Thread*

FBallFan123

which matters exactly how in regards to the shift?

i fully understand this change is going to happen, not the first time baseball has changed the rules for offense as they dropped the mound back i think in the 60's, but again that doesn't mean the change to some of us means a better game

The increasing data and analytics impacts hitters.

Teams monitor their own pitcher’s velocity, spin rate, etc. during games … they see when their performance dips and can keep them on very short leashes because of it.

Partly why hitters rarely face a starting pitcher a 3rd time anymore.

Instead, it’s a starter for maybe 3-5 innings before teams go to their deeper bullpens, where they use more relievers for longer periods.

And the data opposing teams have on hitters is just as detailed.

So hitters have to be prepare to face more pitchers … and opposing teams have more knowledge of their weaknesses.

So all the “back in Hank Aaron’s day” doesn’t really apply to what today’s hitters face.

And a lot of those old time names would be facing shifts if they played today.

Eight

The increasing data and analytics impacts hitters.

Teams monitor their own pitcher’s velocity, spin rate, etc. during games … they see when their performance dips and can keep them on very short leashes because of it.

Partly why hitters rarely face a starting pitcher a 3rd time anymore.

Instead, it’s a starter for maybe 3-5 innings before teams go to their deeper bullpens, where they use more relievers for longer periods.

And the data opposing teams have on hitters is just as detailed.

So hitters have to be prepare to face more pitchers … and opposing teams have more knowledge of their weaknesses.

So all the “back in Hank Aaron’s day” doesn’t really apply to what today’s hitters face.

And a lot of those old time names would be facing shifts if they played today.

the hitting approach has changed and for some of us not for the better

Eight

Certainly looks like the shift was on there … prolly shoulda just tried to single it to right.

nice side step of the fact the halo's are 30 games back

winning baseball all the way, maybe the halos can reach that low watermark of 35 games back by the end of the year

Eight

Yes, yes … Mike Trout does NOT play winning baseball.

And the Angels struggles his fault.

you are the numbers guy and this year his war is what? 0.5

that year is was what, over 10?

guy is a great player and he will get all kinds of attention tonight just like the phenom, and they will still be 30 games

which one do you think gets mentioned first on sports center tonight?

trouts home run streak or valdez quality start streak?

Last edited:
Mariners tall sturdy rookie centerfielder is on fire right now—Julio Rodriguez—only 21 years old. After a slow start in April he has been excellent, though slumping a bit in August. 26 dingers and 25 stolen bases. .841 season OPS, and 1.028 OPS in his last 23 games.

Management recently signed him to a very early extension of 12 years at 17.4 million per year. A long term deal which actually might be good because he is young and there is a club option out before the 2030 season.

To make it work for Julio, it appears he has incentives to make a whopping 20-25 million more per year when he hits targets of multiple Allstar appearances and silver slugger awards, or an MVP.
He gambling some on his potential, while being prudent and taking what he can get now instead of waiting to have more of a track record while risking injury or failure

Ron Swanson

Mariners tall sturdy rookie centerfielder is on fire right now—Julio Rodriguez—only 21 years old. After a slow start in April he has been excellent, though slumping a bit in August. 26 dingers and 25 stolen bases. .841 season OPS, and 1.028 OPS in his last 23 games.

Management recently signed him to a very early extension of 12 years at 17.4 million per year. A long term deal which actually might be good because he is young and there is a club option out before the 2030 season.

To make it work for Julio, it appears he has incentives to make a whopping 20-25 million more per year when he hits targets of multiple Allstar appearances and silver slugger awards, or an MVP.
He gambling some on his potential, while being prudent and taking what he can get now instead of waiting to have more of a track record while risking injury or failure
I mean, you sign that and you’re guaranteeing yourself $200M+. Guaranteed financial security for life.

Astros did something similar with Bregman I believe?

I mean, you sign that and you’re guaranteeing yourself $200M+. Guaranteed financial security for life.

Astros did something similar with Bregman I believe?
I see Bregman’s at 5 years 100 million with escalators of 500k to 2M per year for placing 1st, 2nd or 3rd in MVP voting.

I was not accurate regarding options and escalators with Julio’s—both sides have options. 119.3 M guaranteed over first 7 years and then a club option to extend him 8-10 years at a range of 200-350 million more based on his MVP voting over those first 7. Throw in a few other tiny bonuses and the total number then maxes out at 470 million after 17 years.

If the club declines the option after 7 years, then Julio has the option to become a free agent, or stay 5 more years at 90 million for that guaranteed total of 209.3 million over 12. The final five years could be higher at 100-125 million if he collects enough Silver Slugger and Allstar awards in those first seven, or an MVP.

Might be a good deal for both sides. Mariners on the hook for 17 million per year in the first 7, and 18-25 million per in the last 5 depending on escalators. Julio gets that financial security at 21 years old and if the club options to extend him 8-10 after 7 he gets a raise to minimum 25 million per year but as high as 35 million based on MVP votes gathered. Worst case, he stays for another five years at 18 million per year or becomes a free agent if he chooses.

Last edited:
These weren’t cheap short homers to shallow fences in left or right, but rather Yordan Alvarez’s three long homers were worthy because they held intrigue as they traveled long to deep center. His first three at-bats, all off the same pitcher—

“Alvarez's homers totaled 1,329 feet -- 434, 431 and 464. He joined Nelson Cruz, who performed the feat on July 25, 2019, as the only players with three 400-plus foot homers in a game since Statcast started tracking in 2015.”

"It's pretty cool when a major league player can make other major league players be in awe," Verlander said. "It's not something that happens all too often. And that was kind of one of those moments where everybody is just like: 'My goodness.' It's just incredible what he's able to do."

Last edited:

Eight

These weren’t cheap short homers to shallow fences in left or right, but rather Yordan Alvarez’s three long homers were worthy because they held intrigue as they traveled long to deep center. His first three at-bats, all off the same pitcher—

“Alvarez's homers totaled 1,329 feet -- 434, 431 and 464. He joined Nelson Cruz, who performed the feat on July 25, 2019, as the only players with three 400-plus foot homers in a game since Statcast started tracking in 2015.”

"It's pretty cool when a major league player can make other major league players be in awe," Verlander said. "It's not something that happens all too often. And that was kind of one of those moments where everybody is just like: 'My goodness.' It's just incredible what he's able to do."

seen balls reach the gas pump and the first row of the beer garden, but i can't recall too many balls reaching the part of the bar where that third ball landed

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
seen balls reach the gas pump and the first row of the beer garden, but i can't recall too many balls reaching the part of the bar where that third ball landed
Dont know how old you are but you may remember the Domeballs Wynn and Rader hit into the upper deck in left at the Dome. They painted toy cannon and a red rooster on the seats.

1663550390389.jpeg

He also hit one in old Forbes Field that cleared the 460 mark, so deep they kept the batting cage thre.