• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

dawg

You guys follow the African cup qualifiers? I'm no big soccer fan but crazy stuff happens (lasers lighting up the Egyptian keeper in Senegal) that sometimes involves loss of life, so I keep an eye on days like today.

Amazing finish between Algeria and Cameroon. Home side Algeria take the advantage in the 118th minute on an unmarked header from a corner. Followed by a fantastic goal by Cameroon in the 124th to advance.
You should see the amount of laser pointers in Salah’s face when taking a recent penalty for Egypt. Crazy.

Yeah, that was crazy. Brutal loss for Egypt.

Moose Stuff

You guys follow the African cup qualifiers? I'm no big soccer fan but crazy stuff happens (lasers lighting up the Egyptian keeper in Senegal) that sometimes involves loss of life, so I keep an eye on days like today.

Amazing finish between Algeria and Cameroon. Home side Algeria take the advantage in the 118th minute on an unmarked header from a corner. Followed by a fantastic goal by Cameroon in the 124th to advance.
Maybe a little more excitement from the announcer?????

Moose Stuff

Should be an interesting game tonight. Doesn’t make one bit of difference for CR whether they win 5-0 or lose 100-0. Only score of meaning for them as best as I can tell is to win by at least 6 so no reason for them not to go wide open for 90 minutes. Could be looking at a 4-3 type game easily. My opinion at least.

dawg

Should be an interesting game tonight. Doesn’t make one bit of difference for CR whether they win 5-0 or lose 100-0. Only score of meaning for them as best as I can tell is to win by at least 6 so no reason for them not to go wide open for 90 minutes. Could be looking at a 4-3 type game easily. My opinion at least.
Agree. CR will run go full throttle, which should give us good opportunities on the counter.

Imma say 3-3.

Purp

Starting to have a T&T feel to it. We need a goal soon or this could get off the rails quickly. 2-0 with 30 minutes left is dangerous. They're on pace for 6 goals in the 2nd half.

Purp

Canadia are going to be in pot 4. That's going to make for a darning brutal group whoever they get drawn in with. They are better than half the pot 2 countries. Also saw that Mexico was nearly drawn into pot 1 and only Portugal beating North Macedonia kept them in pot 2. Seems really bizarre for that to be true given how much we owned them over the last year and how bad they were in qualifying relative to their expectations. Excited for the draw.

Moose Stuff

Canadia are going to be in pot 4. That's going to make for a darning brutal group whoever they get drawn in with. They are better than half the pot 2 countries. Also saw that Mexico was nearly drawn into pot 1 and only Portugal beating North Macedonia kept them in pot 2. Seems really bizarre for that to be true given how much we owned them over the last year and how bad they were in qualifying relative to their expectations. Excited for the draw.
scheiss Mexico

dawg

Pot 1:
Qatar
Brazil
Belgium
France
Argentina
England
Spain
Portugal

Pot 2:
Mexico
Netherlands
Denmark
Germany
Uruguay
Switzerland
United States
Croatia

Pot 3:
Senegal
IR Iran
Japan
Morocco
Serbia
Poland
South Korea
Tunisia

Pot 4:
Cameroon
Canada
Ecuador
Saudi Arabia
Ghana
Wales or Scotland / Ukraine
Costa Rica or New Zealand
Peru or Australia / United Arab Emirates

We'll get stuck with Ghana. Because we always get stuck with Ghana.

Best case: Qatar, USA, Japan, Scotland (best case, but IMHO Wales will qualify)
Worst case: Brazil, USA, Senegal, Canada

Moose Stuff

Pot 1:
Qatar
Brazil
Belgium
France
Argentina
England
Spain
Portugal

Pot 2:
Mexico
Netherlands
Denmark
Germany
Uruguay
Switzerland
United States
Croatia

Pot 3:
Senegal
IR Iran
Japan
Morocco
Serbia
Poland
South Korea
Tunisia

Pot 4:
Cameroon
Canada
Ecuador
Saudi Arabia
Ghana
Wales or Scotland / Ukraine
Costa Rica or New Zealand
Peru or Australia / United Arab Emirates

We'll get stuck with Ghana. Because we always get stuck with Ghana.

Best case: Qatar, USA, Japan, Scotland (best case, but IMHO Wales will qualify)
Worst case: Brazil, USA, Senegal, Canada
We can’t be in with Canada can we????

dawg

We can’t be in with Canada can we????
IIRC there is no regional protection like in the CL Rd of 16. It's not probable but possible.

Gonna be weird not having to qualify for the next WC. I’m just gonna assume we play a lot of friendlies vs Canada and Mexico during that time.
That, along with the expanded WC in future years, means that these two qualifiers vs LLLa Tri probably were the last meaningful ones for a while. And we took four points off those scheissers (could easily have been six).

Last edited: