• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

dawg

Good for Moyes, showing his managerial quality. He was put in an absolutely impossible situation, succeeding Sir Alex. Everton certainly haven’t performed as well since he left.

Purp

This kinda sucks. I've been reading this guy since college (apparently he went independent in 08, but I remember his original website called soccerbyives.com around 05) and now I'm going to have to subscribe. I may do it b/c I think he's the best out there and tends to break things before anybody else. The problem with this is the ESPN coverage of USMNT players abroad has gotten so much better the last few years I wonder if this won't be a bad move. If you're willing to wait a day you can find out everything Ives reports on ESPN.com. In some cases ESPN breaks stuff he hasn't released yet. Had no idea this was happening.

Purp

Steffen getting the start tomorrow is a bit of a surprise, but one I like. He's better playing the ball out of the back and I think that's a vital part of possessing and building an attack against Mexico. We'll try to play that way even if Turner is in goal, but he's more prone to pivotal mistakes in that type of a game.

Pulisic not starting is no surprise, but also still a bummer.

Chongo94

Steffen getting the start tomorrow is a bit of a surprise, but one I like. He's better playing the ball out of the back and I think that's a vital part of possessing and building an attack against Mexico. We'll try to play that way even if Turner is in goal, but he's more prone to pivotal mistakes in that type of a game.

Pulisic not starting is no surprise, but also still a bummer.

Personally I think this has massive blowback potential for Berhalter. I get what you’re saying regarding the type of play we want to start with but Turner had been absolute rock solid this year.

I also think that Turner is a bit inside the head of Mexico’s players.

Steffen may play very well and hopefully he does cause if he doesn’t, Berhalter will have once again stirred up a hornets nest without reason. But this also could make him look like a genius too, so we’ll see.

Last edited:

Purp

Personally I think this has massive blowback potential for Berhalter. I get what you’re saying regarding the type of play we want to start with but Turner had been absolute rock solid this year.

I also think that Turner is a bit inside the head of Mexico’s players.

Steffen may play very well and hopefully he does cause if he doesn’t, Berhalter will have once again stirred up a hornets nest without reason. But this also could make him look like a genius too, so we’ll see.
If I were GB I'd start Steffen. I'd also have played Horvath some this year too after his Nations League heroics. Horvath would have gotten some GC starts for me. I think a couple more good performances this summer might have landed him in a better club situation with starting minutes.

I love Turner, but I don't think he's better than Steffen.

Chongo94

If I were GB I'd start Steffen. I'd also have played Horvath some this year too after his Nations League heroics. Horvath would have gotten some GC starts for me. I think a couple more good performances this summer might have landed him in a better club situation with starting minutes.

I love Turner, but I don't think he's better than Steffen.
I’m not sure Turner is better either but he certainly earns more playing time. I just like having the hot hand guy more I suppose.

Steffen can do his career a world of good here with a win I think.

Purp

I am very excite for tonight. I'm more stoked for this game than I have been a TCU football game since maybe the Peach Bowl. This gon' be gud.

Taking my boys to Hop Fusion tonight with some of my over 30 team to watch. Looking forward to a wild atomosphere. Darn Mexico!

Purp

I told my boys this morning that we were going to go watch the game with a big group and my oldest asked why. I said, "It's against Mexico, son. It's a huge game and it'll make it more fun to watch with a bunch of rowdy fans." The 4 year old was nonplussed. You tell him he's watching a game of any kind and he's stoked. He does enjoy the USA chants, though. But the 8 year old looked at me and said, "Dad, we have to beat those guys. They're the worst cheaters!"

I may not be perfect, but I've got this one right. Have I mentioned yet that I'm very excite about this game?