• The KillerFrogs

2021 Schedule Complete

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
CGP has said before he likes playing an FCS program because he remembers his days as an assistant coach at Cal-Davis and other stops and how hard things were. FCS programs need that big payday.
Yeah, I know all that. It's a lovely story.

Meanwhile, we're scheduling a body bag game. GMFP likes it because it's an easy win that gets a lot of PT for the team and some butterflies exorcised. That's nice and all, but to the paying fan it's ridiculous.

I fully realize that the Aardvarks (Demons? Woodchucks?) are a net-positive as a team exercise, and that this was a firm edict from GMFP. He has no interest in trotting his team out to open up against Alabama. Way too many things go wrong.

Planks

If we are gonna play an FCS game, I don't think it matters who it is.

I think this is very true. From a national perception standpoint FCS programs are all the same, regardless of how good or bad they actually are. If we are going to play an FCS school, I’d rather it be one so bad that we could still win even if the whole team got suspended and we had to fill in with the marching band and the showgirls.

Every season there is some P5 school that loses their tune up game to an FCS school. I don’t want TCU to be that school.

froginaustin

From Duq's 2019 schedule, a first game against the Walsh Cavaliers.

I had no clue who/what that was/is. Google says Division II program in northern Ohio. :)

HFrog12

Yeah, I know all that. It's a lovely story.

Meanwhile, we're scheduling a body bag game. GMFP likes it because it's an easy win that gets a lot of PT for the team and some butterflies exorcised. That's nice and all, but to the paying fan it's ridiculous.

I fully realize that the Aardvarks (Demons? Woodchucks?) are a net-positive as a team exercise, and that this was a firm edict from GMFP. He has no interest in trotting his team out to open up against Alabama. Way too many things go wrong.

I am fine with the body bag game so long as we do something different with SMU. Yea I would love for us to schedule Bama, but give me another P5 with a home/home, a G5 to visit the carter, and a body bag game in the Carter and you have a logical schedule heading into conference play. I would love for the body bag game to be a step up from Duquesne but beggers can't be choosers I guess.

OU's setup with Tulane getting two at home and one in Nola is infinitely better than us trading home and away with SMU. Maybe TCU doesn't wield that power but it would be sure nice to know if we are even trying instead of the lazy effort of keeping the non-rivalry going with SMU and giving up a home game every other year.

YA

I am fine with the body bag game so long as we do something different with SMU. Yea I would love for us to schedule Bama, but give me another P5 with a home/home, a G5 to visit the carter, and a body bag game in the Carter and you have a logical schedule heading into conference play. I would love for the body bag game to be a step up from Duquesne but beggers can't be choosers I guess.

OU's setup with Tulane getting two at home and one in Nola is infinitely better than us trading home and away with SMU. Maybe TCU doesn't wield that power but it would be sure nice to know if we are even trying instead of the lazy effort of keeping the non-rivalry going with SMU and giving up a home game every other year.
Oh we have the power of a P5 school--we just fail to use it like a P5 school should.

We should do a 3 game series over 5 years, for example 2021 FW, 2023 Dallas, 2025 FW. Makes the series more unique and not as stale.

Last edited:

Wexahu

My issue with the game is that it sucks for the fan. It's one thing to schedule some overmatched teams in basketball. The games are a couple hours long, people are in and out pretty quickly, and there are about 18-20 home games in a season. In football you've got 6, maybe 7. Wasting one of those on a game that isn't remotely compelling is just too big of a waste. They are like NFL preseason games, a complete waste of everyone's time.

And I'll never believe our guys will get more out of playing a bunch of overmatched Duquense kids than they would just playing a controlled scrimmage against each other, so the "we need this game to get ready for the season" is just dumb IMO. The coaches want an automatic win, that's what it's about, period. And when they are paid millions of dollars to coach a college football team, they shouldn't get one. These games should never be played, by any P5 school.

Froggish

Why these types games continue to surprise anyone I'll never know. GPs approach to football is to take the lowest amount of risk possible. We see this in how he hires, how he schedules, and we even see this in the kind of offense and defense he plays. Its just how he's wired and its becoming more pronounced as he gets older.

In addition I'll remind everyone that for 3 years in a row the difference between making a bowl and missing it was 1 game. We have very much become the kind of program that sets the bar at bowl eligibility rather than championship level football.