• The KillerFrogs

2021 MLB Thread

FBallFan123

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-draft-odds-ends/

2021 Draft Odds & Ends
by Eric Longenhagen and Kevin Goldstein
July 14, 2021

Texas Rangers

Jack Leiter is very good. He joins the deepest farm system in baseball and will soon be part of the young wave of reinforcements likely to comprise the next competitive Rangers club. Oregon 3B/OF Aaron Zavala (second round) had one of the best statistical seasons in college baseball, slashing .392/.525/.628 with nearly twice as many walks as strikeouts. He has fantastic plate coverage and feel for the zone, but only has doubles power right now. Because Zavala is relatively positionless and lacks big pop, he has doubters. He’s also barely 21, has an athletic cut, and is a well-made athlete. I think he’ll retain the context-oriented approach that has worked for him, especially with two strikes, but come into situational power as he continues to mature, physically.

Third round high school shortstop Cam Cauley from Barbers Hill, outside Houston, is a plus runner with plus-plus defensive hands and advanced feel for contact. He needs to get much stronger. Fourth round Iowa high school catcher Ian Moller has electric hitting hands that work in the same way as guys I’ve recently been too heavy on: Keston Hiura and Carter Kieboom. Those hitters have ended up having strikeout issues and Moller, who was one of the more prominent high schoolers entering last summer, has had similar problems. He’s an upside/risk, power-hitting catching prospect. Lefty high schooler Mitch Bratt (fifth) is a Canadian pitcher who played in Georgia during the spring. He currently sits in the high-80s with some carry, and has some reverse projection and feel for a loopy curveball. I didn’t know anything about Jojo Blackmon (11th) until I began writing this piece, but I’m excited to watch him in Arizona this summer. He’s a two-sport high schooler (wide receiver) who pitched and played center field for the baseball team. He’s tooled out — plus run, arm, above-average bat speed — and has a sweet, low-ball swing. The hit tool piece is a relative unknown. This is the second year in a row the Rangers have taken college performers early and mixed in several $1 million-ish sort of high schoolers later. Sixth rounder Chase Lee out of Alabama has rare velocity for a sidearmer, sitting 92-95 late in the year.

Boomhauer

Nice job Gallo!!! Gibby's doing pretty good too.

giphy.gif

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
Time to DFA Jordan Lyles and start calling up some of the younger guys. He's gave up 3 homeruns in 3 innings so far tonight.

Edit.....

Make it 4 homeruns in 3 innings. He's gave up 5 hits and 4 of them have left the ballpark. Smh.