• The KillerFrogs

2018 TCU BASEBALL SEASON THREAD

FBallFan123

Any other good games this weekend to watch?

There were a lot of good pitching performances yesterday outside of just the great Janczak-Wong duel...

McClahanan, Singer, Rolison, Mize, Beck.....

Here’s a couple good wrap ups of Friday...

https://www.baseballamerica.com/college/opening-day-college-roundup/

https://d1baseball.com/roundup/d1-digest-friday-feb-17/

This has a Friday recap with a draft perspective...

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=draft

There was an interesting matchup between South Alabama and Oklahoma today.

Two potential first round picks in the game...South Alabama’s Travis Swaggerty and OU’s Steele Walker.

Last edited:

Caprock

Yikes. That is really unfortunate especially when it comes out of nowhere. Sounds like he was cruising too. I’m assuming after that pitch he felt the “pop” in his elbow which is why he called the trainers out

Yeah that's exactly what happened. 19 pitches into the season.

helcap

With all the pitchers we used this weekend does anyone know who is scheduled to start against UTA tomorrow.?

Never mind, posted on GoFrogs now. It's Russell Smith

Last edited:

robbroyy

I doubt they play tomorrow. 90% chance of rain and supposed to total over an inch. With the two teams so close I bet it rescheduled.

Weather looks spotty for all days except Sunday. Doubleheader at the ball park Sunday wouldn’t be so bad

TCURiggs

Andy Cannizaro out at MSU. Diddling a student. Been a good last few days for them.

Was it a student? I saw that it was some lady who was on the football staff but went with the other coaches to UF. I guess she could've been on the football start as a student, though?

Moose Stuff

Was it a student? I saw that it was some lady who was on the football staff but went with the other coaches to UF. I guess she could've been on the football start as a student, though?

I initially read it was a student, but upon a little more digging it seems that you are correct (or at least way more correct than my initial post).

Moose Stuff

I'm going to need to see a photo and will let you guys know after doing some research

She’s attractive. Would rather not put a name and face on here without knowing it to be fact though (you can find one with a little digging). Also hearing a MSU women’s soccer player was involved which is the part that would have sealed his fate.

Pharm Frog

An interesting relief strategy (non-TCU related): Saw an innovative approach to relief pitching at D2 earlier this season. Situation: the 2nd baseman is apparently the "closer". Middle-reliever gets pulled, new second baseman enters the field while the 2nd baseman-closer gets a different glove and takes the mound. Throws his warmup pitches and retires the next two batters to end the 8th. Fast forward to the 9th: Former second baseman (now closer) takes the mound and gives up a lead-off walk. Coach comes to the mound and pulls his 1st baseman to the mound (a lefty) to face a left-handed batter. New first baseman enters. Closer moves back to 2nd base and the other second second baseman leaves (burned). The lefty gives up a single to the batter and with runners on first and second, the coach comes back out and puts the 2nd baseman-closer back on the mound while the first baseman returns to first base.

We were talking about how many warm-up pitches a kid gets when he's already been on the mound in the inning but it didn't really matter because the returning closer throws three warm up pitches and signals that he's ready to go. On the second pitch of the AB, he grabs his throwing elbow and walks off the mound. Coach and trainer come out and after a rather long consult which included him throwing to the first baseman, they decide to send him back to 2nd base and get another kid to the mound (who has unlimited time to warm up).

One of the strangest relief strategies that I've seen in a long time above select baseball. Anyone remember the Frogs putting Demel into the outfield so he was eligible to return to the mound?