• The KillerFrogs

2017 Baseball Season Thread

Pharm Frog

• BU beats Pokes 3-2. Quite possible now that Okie Lite ends the season with a losing record. Who'd have thunk it?
  • WVU edges Gardner-Webb 15-5 in Morgantown because they couldn't find a reason to cancel the game.
  • Hawks beat KSU and go for the sweep tomorrow. Strangest thing -- when the Frogs beat the Sooners tomorrow and the Hawks finish off the Cats for the sweep, KU will be in 3rd place in the Big 12 with one series to go. Who'd have thunk it?

Pharm Frog

Over half of our Big 12 games have been decided by two runs or less. 12 out of 23.

Frogs are 7-5 in those games. 16 -7 overall with one remaining.

GoFrog Yourself

Big 12 Recap: Magic number **still** at 1

KU 6 KSU 4: KU clinched series

Baylor 3 OSU 2: BU wins series

WVU 15 GW 5

Tech and Texas off this weekend

Updated standings
TCU (16-7)
Tech (13-8)
KU (11-9): Elminated from conference champ contention
OU (11-9): Eliminated from conference champ contention
WVU (11-10)
BU (10-10)
Texas (9-11)
OSU (6-13)
KSU (5-15)

Sand Frog

Pharm curious what your thoughts are on National Seed. Let's say KU wins at least one in Lubbock this weekend and hands TCU the out right Big XII title. Do you think the selection committee gives them a national seed for winning the #1 RPI conference even though they've lost 3 series at TT, WVU, and OU? I really don't see them making a run for Omaha as bad as they play away from Lupton unless they host both the regional and Super.

Pharm Frog

Pharm curious what your thoughts are on National Seed. Let's say KU wins at least one in Lubbock this weekend and hands TCU the out right Big XII title. Do you think the selection committee gives them a national seed for winning the #1 RPI conference even though they've lost 3 series at TT, WVU, and OU? I really don't see them making a run for Omaha as bad as they play away from Lupton unless they host both the regional and Super.

I really don't think it will have anything to do with what Tech and KU do this weekend. TCU has already claimed at least a share of the Big 12 title and the Committee has historically valued 1-2 on the road as almost like 2-1 at home between quality teams. If the Frogs can manage to win 3 of their last 4, I'd be feeling pretty decent about getting a national seed. If they go 2-2 (assuming that one of the wins is at home on Tuesday), I think they'll need a nice showing at the Big 12 tournament. Sad thing is that if we had won just one of those two late inning fiasco games in Norman, I think we'd be almost a lock. It was that important.

I have been paying most attention to the conference affiliations over the last week. The Pac 12 will get one natty -- guaranteed. The ACC will get two natties -- almost a guarantee. The Big 12 will get a natty - guaranteed. The SEC will get a natty -- guaranteed and almost assuredly a second one. That leaves two spots. Will TCU get the guaranteed natty over Tech -- nope. Can't see that happening even if Tech loses a game to KU but it wouldn't hurt by making the Committee really have to think about leaving an undisputed Big12 champ out. I believe that the SEC will get three natties and it will be heavily dependent on the distribution of wins between Kentucky v Florida and LSU v Miss State this coming weekend. This would leave one spot. Will the ACC get another one. Don't think so. Will the Pac12 get another one? I kind of think so if Stanford closes the season like it appears that they might. Would be advisable to root for the Cal Bears to win one tonight IMO.

The wild card to me is LBSU. Would be nice for CSF to sweep them to end the season but I don't think that's likely. The secondary wildcard to me is that SEC thing. It may just be my paranoia regarding ESPN and the SEC that makes me think they could get three natties. The last thing that worries me a bit is that the Committee would have to be deaf, blind, and stupid to not at least think about the late season injuries to the Frogs. If you were to ask me if the TCU team we are able to field right now was one of the best 8 teams in the country and deserving of a natty seed at this moment, I'd have to say no. But the Committee does strange things. TCU tennis at #6 for instance.

And that cleared up precisely nothing and I realize that.

Purp

I really don't think it will have anything to do with what Tech and KU do this weekend. TCU has already claimed at least a share of the Big 12 title and the Committee has historically valued 1-2 on the road as almost like 2-1 at home between quality teams. If the Frogs can manage to win 3 of their last 4, I'd be feeling pretty decent about getting a national seed. If they go 2-2 (assuming that one of the wins is at home on Tuesday), I think they'll need a nice showing at the Big 12 tournament. Sad thing is that if we had won just one of those two late inning fiasco games in Norman, I think we'd be almost a lock. It was that important.

I have been paying most attention to the conference affiliations over the last week. The Pac 12 will get one natty -- guaranteed. The ACC will get two natties -- almost a guarantee. The Big 12 will get a natty - guaranteed. The SEC will get a natty -- guaranteed and almost assuredly a second one. That leaves two spots. Will TCU get the guaranteed natty over Tech -- nope. Can't see that happening even if Tech loses a game to KU but it wouldn't hurt by making the Committee really have to think about leaving an undisputed Big12 champ out. I believe that the SEC will get three natties and it will be heavily dependent on the distribution of wins between Kentucky v Florida and LSU v Miss State this coming weekend. This would leave one spot. Will the ACC get another one. Don't think so. Will the Pac12 get another one? I kind of think so if Stanford closes the season like it appears that they might. Would be advisable to root for the Cal Bears to win one tonight IMO.

The wild card to me is LBSU. Would be nice for CSF to sweep them to end the season but I don't think that's likely. The secondary wildcard to me is that SEC thing. It may just be my paranoia regarding ESPN and the SEC that makes me think they could get three natties. The last thing that worries me a bit is that the Committee would have to be deaf, blind, and stupid to not at least think about the late season injuries to the Frogs. If you were to ask me if the TCU team we are able to field right now was one of the best 8 teams in the country and deserving of a natty seed at this moment, I'd have to say no. But the Committee does strange things. TCU tennis at #6 for instance.

And that cleared up precisely nothing and I realize that.
I'd add to this that I think our natty seed shot depends more on how we perform tomorrow through Saturday than it does how Tech or anyone else performs. I'd feel pretty good about our position if JJ comes back and pitches well and we can demonstrate that or ability to score runs isn't diminished by the loss of LB. If we can't make that case in a compelling way this week then I don't think we'll get a natty. I think it's that simple really even if TT gets swept by KU.