• The KillerFrogs

2011-12 Bowl Schedule

froginmn

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6672862

Not a single bowl game will be played on New Year's Day. Ugh.

Jan 1 is a Sunday and likely reserved for NFL... Jan 2 is a holiday, so we'll be able to watch the full slate of games at least. Jan 1/2 is now reserved for Big Ten games only, though, so...who cares?

Not sure if I remember a Jan 1 without bowl games. Have Sunday Jan 1s been avoided by the Rose Bowl (in particular)?

YCBJ Frog

I believe this has been circled for a while as the first year that the Rose Bowl wouldn't be on Jan 1. The other bowls, particularly the Sugar, weren't too happy about the Rose Bowl being locked into Jan 1, while they had to move from their traditional date. The new contract was struck with the Rose losing that locked-in date with this year being the first one. The fact that it coincides with an NFL Sunday gives them an out because they can point to likely lost viewership and broadcast conflicts, then in subsequent years when people gripe about the Rose not being on 1/1, the recipient of said gripings can reference 1/1/12.

SFA Frog

http://www.tournamentofroses.com/assets/uploads/2011%20History%20Timeline.pdf

First year for officials to be faced with the dilemma of having a Parade on Sunday, which would interfere with church services. Starting the festival a day later was the easy solution. The “Never On Sunday” tradition continues today.

January 2, 1922
January 2, 1928
January 2, 1933
January 2, 1939
January 2, 1950
January 2, 1956
January 2, 1961
January 2, 1967
January 2, 1978
January 2, 1984
January 2, 1989
January 2, 1995
January 3, 2002
January 4, 2006

froginmn

[quote name='you_can't_be_joking' timestamp='1308335762' post='854290']
I believe this has been circled for a while as the first year that the Rose Bowl wouldn't be on Jan 1. The other bowls, particularly the Sugar, weren't too happy about the Rose Bowl being locked into Jan 1, while they had to move from their traditional date. The new contract was struck with the Rose losing that locked-in date with this year being the first one. The fact that it coincides with an NFL Sunday gives them an out because they can point to likely lost viewership and broadcast conflicts, then in subsequent years when people gripe about the Rose not being on 1/1, the recipient of said gripings can reference 1/1/12.
[/quote]

It sounded like such a good story...

You remind me of a buddy of mine who speaks so confidently of things that aren't true :tongue:

As I describe him... "Often wrong, but never in doubt"

YCBJ Frog

It sounded like such a good story...

You remind me of a buddy of mine who speaks so confidently of things that aren't true :tongue:

As I describe him... "Often wrong, but never in doubt"

It's what I read on here a while ago from someone else I consider credible, though I can't remember who (I think it was during last football season so it was a while ago). I'll check to see if there's any info about it. I'm relatively certain that the contract is changing that will stop the automatic lock-in for the Rose Bowl and New Year's Day, and I know that the Sugar Bowl wasn't too happy about the sweetheart deal that provided so many concessions, including that, to the Rose Bowl.

FWIW, I did start the statement with "I believe...". The last sentence is speculation obviously, as it is me talking about something that could happen in the future.

Also, you could've just corrected me where I'm wrong instead of being smug about it.

YCBJ Frog

And I just checked and it's the 2014-2015 season that the Rose may lose it's Jan 1st lock-in, as the current BCS contract will be going through 2013-2014. Someone had previously said the new contract would begin in 2012-2013 (season after next), and speculated that the Rose losing Jan 1st would draw less outrage if it came after a year when it was played on Jan 2nd (next season). That makes sense, if you have the dates of the contract wrong like that poster apparently did and if you assume the new contract will strip the Rose of its Jan 1 locked-in date (which seems like it might happen).

What has been talked about is keeping the BCS-NCG host bowl on Jan 1st, and rotating the other 3 BCS bowls through playing with them. As it is now, the Rose and the BCS-NCG host bowl get the coveted Jan 1st date.

Personally I'd like to see them tier the bowl system with the most prestigious bowls/best matchups coming later, with one solid bowl as the initiator of the bowl season. All this GMAC/international bowl/whatever bowl crap between New Year's and the BCS-NCG just to fill slots is ridiculous. It also actually makes decent sense to put the less interesting bowls ealier, since people will be football-deprived and more willing to watch any college football that is on. People will still tune in to see the #2's, #3's, and #4's from major conferences square off later in the bowl season, but watching Miami of Ohio vs. Tulsa on January 6th or 7th when I've already watched football for 3-9 hours a day for almost 2 weeks straight just isn't going to happen. I'm glad to see that this year they only have one game slotted in that timeframe that has no business there (BBVA Compass Bowl, SEC unnumbered vs Big East unnumbered).

Burner1

Tier 1
They list the New Mexico Bowl as MWC vs Pac-12. I guess I missed when that bowl ended its agreement with the WAC, but it's probably a good thing.

masterfrog

They list the New Mexico Bowl as MWC vs Pac-12. I guess I missed when that bowl ended its agreement with the WAC, but it's probably a good thing.
In theory yes, but I think they have the 8th choice from the Pac 12 which probably won't be bowl eligible with USC on probation. I guess bring on the MAC or the Sun Belt.

Endless Purple

In theory yes, but I think they have the 8th choice from the Pac 12 which probably won't be bowl eligible with USC on probation. I guess bring on the MAC or the Sun Belt.
If a MWC team gets a BCS bid will the MWC have a team in the NM Bowl?

I think TCU, Boise, SDSU and AF get the wins needed, but what about UNLV, UNM, CSU or Wyoming?

I havent checked their scheduloes yet, but hopefully one or two can step up their game this year.

I think it is actually the PAC10 #7 not 8

Champ- Rose
2nd choice- Alamo
3rd choice- Holiday
4th choice- Sun
5th choice- Maaco LV
6th choice- Kraft fight hunger
7th choice- NM Bowl

If the PAC-12 gets two in the BCS, then it would be the 8th choice.
'
NM Bowl should get a PAc-12 team and the Las Vegas opponent could be a decent 8-4 or so PAC-12 team this year.