• The KillerFrogs

2010 VS 2014 - Who Was Better?

westtxfrog72

I made a few data sheets comparing the two. Personally can’t stand this debate but thought it would be interesting to see what people say. Only one class played on both teams so their opinion is the only one that carries any weight. (Class of 2014)

Attachments

• DEE7BD93-CAB1-48BE-ABBF-1A5A666212FA.png
    DEE7BD93-CAB1-48BE-ABBF-1A5A666212FA.png
    652 KB · Views: 18
  • B6E88074-E959-4845-9DD8-60F860DEE8A9.png
    B6E88074-E959-4845-9DD8-60F860DEE8A9.png
    616.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 3407E033-5BE4-4A74-82C4-4A4B689E259B.png
    3407E033-5BE4-4A74-82C4-4A4B689E259B.png
    652 KB · Views: 10
  • BFDCECA7-DA58-427A-9844-BE3F52F6C5A5.png
    BFDCECA7-DA58-427A-9844-BE3F52F6C5A5.png
    624.5 KB · Views: 14

Wexahu

2010 has a better single win than anything 2014 did and of course had the better record, but over the course of the season I don't know how you could watch those games and not conclude that 2014 was better overall. 2010 was good, 2014 was scary.
I think 2014 was better, but not by much.

Two different kind of teams. 2010 was rock solid and disciplined. 2014 always seemed like a race car going slightly out of the control, but the 40 turnovers they forced covered up a lot of mistakes and at times sloppy play.

Last edited:

The Bad Guy

I think 2014 was better, but not by much.

Two different kind of teams. 2010 was rock solid and disciplined. 2014 always seems like a race car going slightly out of the control, but the 40 turnovers they forced covered up a lot of mistakes and at times sloppy play.

The 2010 team most likely isn’t winning the National Championship….

The 2014 team was firing on all cylinders and I believe would have won that title.

FrogUltimate

I think if they played 10 times, it would be pretty close to 5-5. But the overall winning margin over those 10 games would be 2014 +6-7 points. The 2010 would never blow out the 2014 team, but in a couple of the games the 2014 would beat 2010 by 14+ points.

Also if we are judging both teams by how they were playing in the Rose/Peach game, the 2014 team would win by 7+. They had figured out some of the defensive issues by that point and the defense was just plain nasty with an offense that was a freight train (occasionally off the tracks)

Can you imagine what Pierson, McFarland, Chucky, Carraway, Dawson, Mallett, Carter and Kindred think of this 2021 team? Watching freaking Foster, Armstead, Caesar, Jenkins, Cooper, Harris, Hodge avoid contact and screw around all game every game?

Wexahu

I think if they played 10 times, it would be pretty close to 5-5. But the overall winning margin over those 10 games would be 2014 +6-7 points. The 2010 would never blow out the 2014 team, but in a couple of the games the 2014 would beat 2010 by 14+ points.

Also if we are judging both teams by how they were playing in the Rose/Peach game, the 2014 team would win by 7+. They had figured out some of the defensive issues by that point and the defense was just plain nasty with an offense that was a freight train (occasionally off the tracks)

Can you imagine what Pierson, McFarland, Chucky, Carraway, Dawson, Mallett, Carter and Kindred think of this 2021 team? Watching freaking Foster, Armstead, Caesar, Jenkins, Cooper, Harris, Hodge avoid contact and screw around all game every game?
Based on things I have heard, I think the opponent in the Rose Bowl was HIGHLY more motivated than the opponent in the Peach Bowl.

FrogUltimate

Based on things I have heard, I think the opponent in the Rose Bowl was HIGHLY more motivated than the opponent in the Peach Bowl.
Yeah that Ole Miss team didn't really care and were without some key guys, that's for sure. The Rose Bowl was definitely big time, brutal match-up.

Man 2010 would have been a good four team playoff if the two games were Auburn vs Wisconsin and then TCU vs Oregon. I think you would have ended up with TCU vs Wisconsin.

MadFrog

I loved Andy Dalton's 2010 team. They won the biggest game in TCU history. BUT, the 2014 team was better. I was in Waco the day they could not hold on to a big second half lead. The 2014 team had great players on both offense and on defense. Their LBs we're great. Then they slaughtered Ole' Miss in the Peach Bowl. I will never forget the sign at the National Championship game that year - "Winner Plays TCU".

Big Frog II

Wisconsin at the end of the season was killing people. Beating them was really something. The 2014 team at the end of the season was really an offensive machine. Probably was the better of the two, but barely. Many people forget that Boykin broke his thumb at the end of the 3rd quarter against Baylor in 2014 and was not as effective the last 15 minutes. Regardless, we still should have been in the playoffs.

AustinFrog

I loved Andy Dalton's 2010 team. They won the biggest game in TCU history. BUT, the 2014 team was better. I was in Waco the day they could not hold on to a big second half lead. The 2014 team had great players on both offense and on defense. Their LBs we're great. Then they slaughtered Ole' Miss in the Peach Bowl. I will never forget the sign at the National Championship game that year - "Winner Plays TCU".
Cooper Castleberry was the MVP for Baylor that day, he and his whole group.

tetonfrog

I do not want to slander the 2014 team, but the 2010 Rose Bowl team would have never blown a 21-point lead to Baylor or anyone. Period.

Also, how can u say the 2014 secondary would be able to cover the WR group of Kerley, Young, Boyce and Johnson when they could not stay with Baylor’s WRs when they knew they were gonna run a fly pattern every play. And, as good as our DL was in 2014, I believe the Rose Bowl OL with 2 NFL OTs & the best C in college football would give AD all day to throw.

Again, no disrespect to the Peach Bowl team that should have played in the CFP, but the Rose Bowl team was better. After all, they went undefeated & beat Wisconsin. That Whisky team was better than anyone in the 2014 schedule.

Last edited:

westtxfrog72

I do not want to slander the 2014 team, but the 2010 Rose Bowl team would have never blown a 21-point lead to Baylor or anyone. Period.

Also, how can u say the 2014 secondary would be able to cover the WR group of Kerley, Young, Boyce and Johnson when they could not stay with Baylor’s WRs when they knew they were gonna run a fly pattern every play. And, as good as our DL was in 2014, I believe the Rose Bowl OL with 2 NFL OTs & the best C in college football would give AD all day to throw.

Again, no disrespect to the Peach Bowl team that should have played in the CFP, but the Rose Bowl team was better. After all, they went undefeated & beat Wisconsin. That Whisky team was better than anyone in the 2014 schedule.
Didn’t the 2010 team almost blow a lead to 9-4 SDSU the last week of the season? Hard to base opinions off one game and or one half/one quarter. D-Line was no slouch in 14 either. Like I said fans can say whatever but only one class played for both. So they would carry the most weight. Both super fun to watch for a multitude of different reasons!

BedfordFrog68

Didn’t the 2010 team almost blow a lead to 9-4 SDSU the last week of the season? Hard to base opinions off one game and or one half/one quarter. D-Line was no slouch in 14 either. Like I said fans can say whatever but only one class played for both. So they would carry the most weight. Both super fun to watch for a multitude of different reasons!
IIRC, San Diego State scored two TDs in the 4th against a mostly-second string defense....

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Eddie Williamson had a heart attack just before the game, and the team was in shock. It took a little while for them to get it back on track and get a comfy lead, but I don't think they were ever really mentally in it.

TRF51

As much as I love the 2010 team I think the 2014 would beat them by 10-20 points. That 2014 offense was very explosive. Boykin was the dude. I think maybe the 2010 team was more sound but not as explosive as the 2014 team. The pace of play would have caused issues with the 2010 team.