• The KillerFrogs

2 Frog heroes

Frog DJ

If you don't take the time to read the D Magazine article - at least read this, the end of it:

Col. Robert Howard’s funeral cortege should have started at the foot of the Jefferson Memorial. His flag-draped casket should have passed through streets lined with thousands of grateful, flag-waving Americans to Arlington, where, in preparation for his final resting place, some politician had been dug up and tossed into the Potomac. But that didn’t happen.

Ten lines. A couple of longer obits here and there. That’s all he got.

On the drive back to Dallas from Waco, I got to thinking. We should rename that stretch of I-35 after him. The Col. Robert Howard Highway. People would shorten it, of course: the Howard.

His life deserves more. But it’s a start.

TCU should erect a statue to Robert Howard, and place it right outside the ROTC building.

Go Frogs!

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I had no idea about Col. Howard but feel humbled to have read that story and to have watched the video of him telling it.

What an amazing story

Burner1

Tier 1
http://rlhtribute.com/

The link is a Website tribute to Robert Howard. The bio says the received a BA in police administration from TCU in 1973. He enlisted in 1956 and received a direct commission during the war. I wondered how I did not know him, as I graduated with an Army ROTC commission in 1972. He was already an officer when he was at TCU, and may have not been there long as he already had an AA degree. But any connection with the man does us all honor. What a story.

Dogfrog

I thought I had a pretty good handle on the list of TCU's most distinguished graduates until this article revised it drastically.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Another Medal of Honor association with TCU: Col Jim Fleming was finishing his Air Force career in the late 1990s while detailed to the regional USAF Recruiting team. He was officed in the Det 845 ROTC building on the TCU campus. I had the honor of being the Arnold Air Society advisor then, and got to talk with Col Fleming on a couple of occasions. He was a very quiet and modest guy. He retired while at TCU, but declined any sort of ceremony or fanfare.

FLEMING, JAMES P.

Rank and organization: Captain, U.S. Air Force, 20th Special Operations Squadron. Place and date: Near Duc Co, Republic of Vietnam, 26 November 1968. Entered service at: Pullman, Wash. Born: 12 March 1943, Sedalia, Mo. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Capt. Fleming (then 1st Lt.) distinguished himself as the Aircraft Commander of a UH-1F transport Helicopter. Capt. Fleming went to the aid of a 6-man special forces long range reconnaissance patrol that was in danger of being overrun by a large, heavily armed hostile force. Despite the knowledge that 1 helicopter had been downed by intense hostile fire, Capt. Fleming descended, and balanced his helicopter on a river bank with the tail boom hanging over open water. The patrol could not penetrate to the landing site and he was forced to withdraw. Dangerously low on fuel, Capt. Fleming repeated his original landing maneuver. Disregarding his own safety, he remained in this exposed position. Hostile fire crashed through his windscreen as the patrol boarded his helicopter. Capt. Fleming made a successful takeoff through a barrage of hostile fire and recovered safely at a forward base. Capt. Fleming's profound concern for his fellowmen, and at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Air Force and reflect great credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of his country.

Latest posts