• The KillerFrogs

103 degrees now long range forecast for Sept. 2nd...

Boomhauer

Nice.

During one of my too-many visits to Crudson on the Hudson, there was a sanitation workers strike. Putrid garbage was piled up on the sidewalks and streets in small mountain ranges 7-8 feet high. For blocks on end, the odor would gag a maggot.

In the subway, I saw platoons of rats that looked as big as armadillos. And brazen. No fear at all. They'd scamper right over your feet and sit on your shoes.

Once while driving in Manhattan, I wasn't certain of my directions, so at traffic light I asked help from a cabbie in the adjacent lane. He said, "Turn left at the next light." So I moved to the left lane and, at the light, discovered the street was one-way to the right.

On another trip, I forgot my watch (pre-mobile phones), so I asked the time of a guy on the street. His reply: "Whatsamatta, you too cheap to buy a watch?"

On my last 5-6 visits to the Rotten Apple, the place was somewhat cleaner and more orderly, and the people seemed to be making more of an effort to act like human beings. This was while the new mayor (Giuliani I think, but not sure) was campaigning to clean up the city, crack down on crime, and persuade the people to behave more hospitably. He mostly succeeded by pointing out it was just good business. Tourism and business travel are a major revenue source for the city.

Last visit was on a business trip in 2015. My son was living there for a year in Queens, and one of my favorite nephews (sister's son) was living there permanently in Manhattan. Must admit, that was the trip I probably saw New York at its best. During the 80s-90s, it was an absolute cesspool. Seems so much better now -- but that's still a relative term. "Better" compared to what?

Deep Jr moved back to Texas shortly before my trip, but I still arranged to meet and have primo steaks and after-dinner whiskey shots with my nephew -- all on me, of course. We had one hell of a time. No whiskey costing $15 a shot or less was off the menu.

The following year, 2016, he was murdered in his tiny midtown Manhattan apartment. The NYPD never discovered any trace of the killer(s).

Man, that’s terrible. Did not see that coming.

Frog Brother

Wishful thinking on my part but will there be any special accommodations for patrons this Saturday to mitigate the heat? I am thinking free chilled water bottles handed out around the stadium. We are coming to the game but my wife and I are over 60 now and she isn't able to tolerate the heat like we could years ago

I know it's very bad every September, especially at 11:00am and 2;00pm kickoffs.. And I will admit that we bailed out early at one game last season because of the fierce sun and heat. But with the visibility that this game will have with Big Noon Kickoff and the Coach Prime experiment I hope we can be mostly full unless and until we have sealed the game in a blowout win.

Any word on special concessions this Saturday?

tcudoc

Nice.

During one of my too-many visits to Crudson on the Hudson, there was a sanitation workers strike. Putrid garbage was piled up on the sidewalks and streets in small mountain ranges 7-8 feet high. For blocks on end, the odor would gag a maggot.

In the subway, I saw platoons of rats that looked as big as armadillos. And brazen. No fear at all. They'd scamper right over your feet and sit on your shoes.

Once while driving in Manhattan, I wasn't certain of my directions, so at traffic light I asked help from a cabbie in the adjacent lane. He said, "Turn left at the next light." So I moved to the left lane and, at the light, discovered the street was one-way to the right.

On another trip, I forgot my watch (pre-mobile phones), so I asked the time of a guy on the street. His reply: "Whatsamatta, you too cheap to buy a watch?"

On my last 5-6 visits to the Rotten Apple, the place was somewhat cleaner and more orderly, and the people seemed to be making more of an effort to act like human beings. This was while the new mayor (Giuliani I think, but not sure) was campaigning to clean up the city, crack down on crime, and persuade the people to behave more hospitably. He mostly succeeded by pointing out it was just good business. Tourism and business travel are a major revenue source for the city.

Last visit was on a business trip in 2015. My son was living there for a year in Queens, and one of my favorite nephews (sister's son) was living there permanently in Manhattan. Must admit, that was the trip I probably saw New York at its best. During the 80s-90s, it was an absolute cesspool. Seems so much better now -- but that's still a relative term. "Better" compared to what?

Deep Jr moved back to Texas shortly before my trip, but I still arranged to meet and have primo steaks and after-dinner whiskey shots with my nephew -- all on me, of course. We had one hell of a time. No whiskey costing $15 a shot or less was off the menu.

The following year, 2016, he was murdered in his tiny midtown Manhattan apartment. The NYPD never discovered any trace of the killer(s).
Enjoyed reading this tale until the last paragraph. Terrible news. So sorry for your loss.