• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU basketball sits at a crossroad after demoralizing NCAA Tournament loss to Utah State

Chongo94

Stephen Johnson has been negative to an extreme. I have less problem with fans who attend games being negative. Just wonder when it ends.
Yeah, he was great and spot on with his football treatment, one of the best TCU beat writers we’ve had in ages. But that headline this morning made me do a double take too, guess they are running out of synonyms.

PurpleBlood87

Even in my student days (before mud was invented), DMC could get really loud and rowdy.
This season when the arena was full it was never that loud but for some reason when the place was half full it was much louder. Probably because the people who were there wanted to be there and knew when to stand up and cheer. It was strange this season.

nrhfrog

I've had season tickets since the early 90's....a few years after moving back to North Texas.

For the record....I love Jamie Dixon. Great guy, great alum. In no way do I want him to leave. He has brought respect back to the program. That said, I think he has taken TCU about as far as it can go in the Big 12. He has taken TCU from a consistent bottom-dweller to a consistent middle of the pack team in the conference. This league is about to become even more brutal. In reality, will we ever be able to compete with KU, BU (I know that hurts), UH, and soon to be Arizona, BYU, et all?

We're kind of stuck in a hard place. I don't think Jamie can take us any farther. At the same time, I'm not sure who can..... unless we lure some big time hire.......not even sure who that would be. Thus, if we replace Jamie with a new guy, based on our history of hiring basketball coaches (pre-Dixon/post Tubbs), we probably return to the cellar of the Big 12. In the old SWC, we could count on a championship or near championship every few years in the Coach Swaim and Coach Killingsworth years. I want to be wrong in my assessment, but I just don't see us ever getting back to competing for a championship again.

BTW, the problem is not Daniel Meyer/Schollmayer Coliseum. Yes, it is smaller and old looking, but there is not a bad seat there. The atmosphere has improved greatly over the last 5 years. Students have been loud and supportive ever since Jamie came back and breathed a little life in the program. Music is cranked up for a loud and fun atmosphere.

However, after watching us blow the game against UCF in our final home game, it became apparent to me that for this old codger, it is no longer worth driving (and getting stuck in traffic jams on I35W) to watch the team. So the silver lining to this long rant, is that 2 really good seats will be available for the younger fans as I will no longer be renewing my season tickets. This decision was made not in anger, but in frustration and sadness that the odds of even competing for a Big 12 championship in basketball are so low that it is no longer worth the driving hassle to watch the Frogs in person anymore. My hope is that I am completely wrong in my assessment of the basketball future at TCU. Go Frogs.

Dogfrog

I've had season tickets since the early 90's....a few years after moving back to North Texas.

For the record....I love Jamie Dixon. Great guy, great alum. In no way do I want him to leave. He has brought respect back to the program. That said, I think he has taken TCU about as far as it can go in the Big 12. He has taken TCU from a consistent bottom-dweller to a consistent middle of the pack team in the conference. This league is about to become even more brutal. In reality, will we ever be able to compete with KU, BU (I know that hurts), UH, and soon to be Arizona, BYU, et all?

We're kind of stuck in a hard place. I don't think Jamie can take us any farther. At the same time, I'm not sure who can..... unless we lure some big time hire.......not even sure who that would be. Thus, if we replace Jamie with a new guy, based on our history of hiring basketball coaches (pre-Dixon/post Tubbs), we probably return to the cellar of the Big 12. In the old SWC, we could count on a championship or near championship every few years in the Coach Swaim and Coach Killingsworth years. I want to be wrong in my assessment, but I just don't see us ever getting back to competing for a championship again.

BTW, the problem is not Daniel Meyer/Schollmayer Coliseum. Yes, it is smaller and old looking, but there is not a bad seat there. The atmosphere has improved greatly over the last 5 years. Students have been loud and supportive ever since Jamie came back and breathed a little life in the program. Music is cranked up for a loud and fun atmosphere.

However, after watching us blow the game against UCF in our final home game, it became apparent to me that for this old codger, it is no longer worth driving (and getting stuck in traffic jams on I35W) to watch the team. So the silver lining to this long rant, is that 2 really good seats will be available for the younger fans as I will no longer be renewing my season tickets. This decision was made not in anger, but in frustration and sadness that the odds of even competing for a Big 12 championship in basketball are so low that it is no longer worth the driving hassle to watch the Frogs in person anymore. My hope is that I am completely wrong in my assessment of the basketball future at TCU. Go Frogs.
We have had some subpar games this season, especially in the second half of conference play. Something (assuming injuries) happened to Tennyson, Udeh, and finally Miller’s ankle that seemed to hurt us, but I cannot conclude that we can never compete with Houston or Baylor following a season when we beat Houston at home and beat Baylor in Waco. Hope you reconsider.

BleedNPurple

We also have Dickies arena down the road for when we need a show palace game. There’s nothing wrong with Schollmayer. Basketball you only need 5 or 6 players to change a team unlike football. I have been going to TCU basketball games since they built Daniel Meyer when I was 5 years old. When TCU hired Jamie Dixon I called in immediately and got my season tickets back. Be careful what you wish for - the grass is not always greener. Kentucky, BYU, Tech - a number of good teams fizzled and then the second round carnage is even bigger - Kansas, UT and others - the tournament is a different animal and always has been.

nrhfrog

I didn't mean to imply that we would never beat UH, BU, or even KU. In fact, we almost always have an upset or two each season against those teams. What I was referring to was competing for a championship.
Dixon has brought us out of the basement, for sure.
However, I don't think we have EVER been above .500 in the Big 12....and thus, never even close to competing for a championship.

I just don't see how that will change in the future.

Frog Attack II

From the article, Dixon is bringing in the best recruiting class we've had.... Interested to see what that looks like as I'm not familiar with who we picked up.

That said, I do think we are slowly building a program, but we let several opportunities slip by this year. I personally don't think it's Jamie... I just think that this group of players (God love 'em) is just exactly what they are .. good but inconsistent.

Time for a new group. We need a big man like Vlad (who can shoot), a true point that can play on the ball defense, and a shooting guard that can shoot 3's north of 40%

PurpleBlood87

We also have Dickies arena down the road for when we need a show palace game. There’s nothing wrong with Schollmayer. Basketball you only need 5 or 6 players to change a team unlike football. I have been going to TCU basketball games since they built Daniel Meyer when I was 5 years old. When TCU hired Jamie Dixon I called in immediately and got my season tickets back. Be careful what you wish for - the grass is not always greener. Kentucky, BYU, Tech - a number of good teams fizzled and then the second round carnage is even bigger - Kansas, UT and others - the tournament is a different animal and always has been.
TCU is not going to play home games at Dickies. If that happened, the place would be half empty, and if they played a big conference game there, like say Kansas, Dickies would be full of Kansas fans.

While it may be difficult to do, we as TCU fans need to differentiate between a ceiling on the team because of the coach and a ceiling that is a result of the personnel. To me, it is clear that we will not get a better coach than Dixon and he has continuously brought better talent year to year. Sometimes you miss on talent (see Kansas with Timberlake) but the point is that we are still getting good recruits and attracting top transfers. The key is not a different coach, it is just the right combination of personnel with our current coach.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
...but I cannot conclude that we can never compete with Houston or Baylor following a season when we beat Houston at home and beat Baylor in Waco.
And therein lies the rub. This Frog team showed that it was capable of playing solid ball, and had the moxie to maintain that edge and take down very good teams on their own home court. Should have taken Kansas at home, too, but were absolutely screwed out of it. How can a team that is capable of such accomplishments blow games at home to awful competition? How can a Big Game at home, with the Arena filled and loud, have a flat and uninspired Frog team come out and go through the motions?

In short, what's up with the Jekyll and Hyde thing? Mrs. Brewingfrog and I tuned into the UT game expecting to see the Frogs at their best, and it looked as if they could have cared less. Baylor rolled into town, and we saw the same thing. Blowing the final home game against UCF? Ugh. You can't keep calling out the fans to fill the Arena and have the team mailing it in. An intimidating home court is built on WINNING, not flailing around for 90 minutes, heading for the showers and a quick bite before bed.

Let's hope the full Line Change for next season wipes away that habit.

Horned Toad

And therein lies the rub. This Frog team showed that it was capable of playing solid ball, and had the moxie to maintain that edge and take down very good teams on their own home court. Should have taken Kansas at home, too, but were absolutely screwed out of it. How can a team that is capable of such accomplishments blow games at home to awful competition? How can a Big Game at home, with the Arena filled and loud, have a flat and uninspired Frog team come out and go through the motions?

In short, what's up with the Jekyll and Hyde thing? Mrs. Brewingfrog and I tuned into the UT game expecting to see the Frogs at their best, and it looked as if they could have cared less. Baylor rolled into town, and we saw the same thing. Blowing the final home game against UCF? Ugh. You can't keep calling out the fans to fill the Arena and have the team mailing it in. An intimidating home court is built on WINNING, not flailing around for 90 minutes, heading for the showers and a quick bite before bed.

Let's hope the full Line Change for next season wipes away that habit.
Brewing, I went to all the home games except for two of them. I was at the UT and Baylor games. I don’t think I saw them mail it in. I never saw them quit. What I saw was we didn’t have a Miles or Bane like player that could draw the defense into them and then was able to make the right decision to shoot or dish the ball off to the open player. This team was good until the other teams figured this out. We had no 1 this year, we had two adequate 2’s trying to play the 1 and they were playing out of position. Our deficiencies got figured out and the other teams were able to adjust. I’ve read the solution here a few times. We need a floor general who can shoot and a big man who can score and rebound. If Miles and Baugh had stayed for one more year this team might have tore it up, even without a top center.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Brewing, I went to all the home games except for two of them. I was at the UT and Baylor games. I don’t think I saw them mail it in. I never saw them quit. What I saw was we didn’t have a Miles or Bane like player that could draw the defense into them and then was able to make the right decision to shoot or dish the ball off to the open player. This team was good until the other teams figured this out. We had no 1 this year, we had two adequate 2’s trying to play the 1 and they were playing out of position. Our deficiencies got figured out and the other teams were able to adjust. I’ve read the solution here a few times. We need a floor general who can shoot and a big man who can score and rebound. If Miles and Baugh had stayed for one more year this team might have tore it up, even without a top center.
Obviously I was not there, so I cannot speak to that. Watching on TV I didn't see much energy or intensity. It seemed to both myself and Mrs. Brewingfrog that they knew they were beaten, and acted like it not 5 minutes into the game.
Perhaps it was the strategy to which you speak that led to this seeming despair I saw, because we certainly didn't have an answer and what they were doing wasn't working. When kids know you've been out-schemed it is danged hard to continue with any intensity.

Wally the Frog

The problem is we get a few wins that we shouldn't and we build momentum and excitement. The next game, we decide to have a black/purple/white out game, the entire school shows up, students are sitting in the aisles, or roaming the stadium for empty seats, alumni and students become super pumped for the game, but the team shows up and turns the ball over 18 times in the first half. It is frustrating as a fan.

The excitement is there, and we are ready to provide it, but there is no consistency in these teams. We don't know who is going to show up, the team that beat Houston and Baylor, or the team we struggled to watch to end the season. I am there for most games, and I like Jamie as the coach. I don't have the solution, and in these new days of transfers, I don't think that we can build a team from the ground up, so I guess we just go out and recruit (hire) the best players that we can each year.

Here's to winning more games that we shouldn't and losing less games that we should win.

BleedNPurple

Can you imagine what we could have had with Miles and Lampkin?

BleedNPurple

That Houston vs A$M game last night might have been the most physical game of the tourney. I think either one of those teams would have destroyed us. Completely different level in tournament play and we didn’t have that gear. Then Utah St. goes out and gets creamed.

I think our team needs to watch that game a few times for get an idea as to where we need to go. Iowa St. out muscled us too.

Latest posts