• The KillerFrogs

Trent Dilfer: CFB "super league" within 18-24 months?

Sometimes in life if it is better to be lucky than good. In this instance, I’m glad Aggie decided to trade success for SEC money. Otherwise, TCU does not get the Big 12 invite. TCU was very lucky Aggie jumped ship then rather 5 or 10 years earlier. With that being said, TCU has more shown than the ability to pull its weight in the Big 12. I have no doubt that TCU would pull its weight in the Big 10. I suspect TCU would be blackball from the SEC especially after the national championship game debacle.
What success did Aggie trade to go to the SEC? Other than a fluke win over KSU in 98, they did jack squat in the Big XII. They were dominated by Texas Tech for Christsake. They’re the same mediocre 4th place team that they were in the Big XII. Just richer. With nothing to show for it.

FroginBedford68

That would mean a lot more if they had played us more than once since 1996.

TCU got good A&M stayed away
Did Patterson try to schedule A&M at any time in his tenure? When the SWC broke apart, the departed Frank Windegger replied to Darrell Royal's statement that he would like to continue to play TCU that it wasn't TCU who left....I think that was his way of saying "no way in sheol"....I'm sure A&M in the 1990s and earliest 2000s would have like to play what was then a more or less slam dunk against the Frogs....

ShreveFrog

I can’t find an explanation of what a “look-in provision” is. But it apparently has something to do with the ACC breaking up and its top schools going to other conferences ???

Limey Frog

The most relevant contractual look-in may be ESPN's window in February 2025 to give notice to the ACC (effective 2027 IIRC) that they are walking away from their TV contract rather than continue it through 2036.

As I said when the SMU business went down, the ACC exploited a contract loophole to force ESPN into forking over another $120M/yr. for three programs no one cares about. If ESPN moved four members of the ACC into the SEC, four into the Big 12, lost two to the Big Ten and the remainder (SMU, BC, Wake, etc) got the Wazzu treatment, the cost for ESPN would be no different than present but the television inventory would be superior and more valuable. I thought the decision to nuke the ACC (given that FSU is pretty much determined to do it anyway) was likely pretty simple for ESPN even before the FSU lawsuit dropped the bombshell that their contract with the ACC has an opt-out clause.

I'm sure Yormark has a solid game plan in place.

Last edited:

Endless Purple

I'm still with my original goal of seeing the top 32-36 names schools breakaway to form their moneyball league. Then all the rest can go back to college sports.

Toad Jones

I don't think that will help....Too many 5-7 seasons since 2017....
It's all about ......... yep you guessed it, MONEY. Money comes mostly from TV or whatever it will be called in the coming years. The D/Ft. Worth and AREA market are just too important for viewership and revenues. Repeat myself. That may be our only saving grace!

And if not, some pretty good football will come out of whatever is left. This is not the end, but more of a stupid glitch to separate some programs because they don't meet their dreams of an elite conference that will produce the most revenue. Again, it comes down to TV revenue, and if you need to reread the explanation, then have at it.

One of these days, our society will settle down and realize money doesn't necessarily mean happiness. However, don't look for that to happen until, let's say 3010.

Wexahu

It's all about ......... yep you guessed it, MONEY. Money comes mostly from TV or whatever it will be called in the coming years. The D/Ft. Worth and AREA market are just too important for viewership and revenues. Repeat myself. That may be our only saving grace!

And if not, some pretty good football will come out of whatever is left. This is not the end, but more of a stupid glitch to separate some programs because they don't meet their dreams of an elite conference that will produce the most revenue. Again, it comes down to TV revenue, and if you need to reread the explanation, then have at it.

One of these days, our society will settle down and realize money doesn't necessarily mean happiness. However, don't look for that to happen until, let's say 3010.
From a TV revenue standpoint, the DFW market is already covered with UT, OU and A&M. I don't think TV ratings here for college football would materially change if TCU were left out of the mix.

And people might say, well, the Big 10 went after Rutgers because of the New York TV market. Yes, they did to a degree, but Rutgers is the State University of New Jersey and has 50,000 undergrads, so there's that too.

Longhorn from Aledo

TCU, Tech, Ok State, K State, and Baylor are better than Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Nebraska, etc... The idea of a 48 team east coast league is a deal breaker for me. I hate the NFL. I REALLY HATE JERRY JONES. THAT MOTHER scheissER RUINED THE COWBOYS to the point I quit watching decades ago. Anything that takes cfb further in that direction is going to kill cfb. Next, you'll have Minnesota drafting players out of Duncaville for their [ Finebaum ]ty football team.