• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Ex-TCU defensive coordinator concerned about NIL, said players asked for money

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Exclusive: Ex-TCU defensive coordinator concerned about NIL, said players asked for money

By Big Steaming Pile

USATSI_19713226.jpg

Joe Gillespie says he “got the ax,” and understands the specifics behind TCU coach Sonny Dykes’ decision to change out his defensive coordinator.

Gillespie’s preference was to stay for what would have been a third season as TCU’s defensive coordinator, but that was ultimately not his call when Dykes made the decision to change out the position after the season.

Despite the fact that Gillespie was part of the staff that won a college football playoff game and reached the national title game in 2022, the way college football has evolved, “There is a sour taste, yes,” he said.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article284881687.html#storylink=cpy

Also at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...-nil-said-players-asked-for-money/ar-BB1hBkGT

Last edited:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The problem is the way you prosecuted the 3-3-5. It wasn't the scheme or the personnel, IMO. It was not good in 2022 and worse in 2023.

I agree with his NIL statement though:

“I had kids coming to me that had not played a down saying, ‘I need to get this.’ I’m like, ‘I’m sorry man, until you start producing and playing that’s going to be a hard sell.’ Kids reach out. The parents ask. Some have agents that start hitting you up. You just have the wild west (with NIL), and now the transfer portal. It’s a crazy, crazy time in college football, and it’s hard to make an impact on a kid if the roster is changing every year, and if the focus is how much money they’re making.”

ShreveFrog

I would've liked to hear JG talk about what he and SD discussed to try to make his 335 tougher. But he probably would've punted to loss of talent from the '22 team.
Appreciate what he says about NIL. Just awful.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The thing is, we all know about the zaniness of NIL and the money flying around. We were gabbling about it way back with Zach Evans, and it's only gotten worse since.

At the heart of the matter, his firing wasn't about NIL, and it wasn't about the players involved; it was about the lack of aggression and the lack of desire on the part of Gillespie hissownself to take the initiative. He became content to let them come to him and allow them to dictate the game flow. From the start this philosophy was grossly ineffective, and yet he showed no inclination to change what was clearly not working. Pity the Big Steaming Pile doesn't know a damned thing about Football, or why the firing took place, and certainly didn't have the wit to ask.

4 Oaks Frog

OK article from Muck, because Muck didn’t do much of the talking…
JG’s comments about “digging in his heels” on not changing anything on his 3-3-5 defensive scheme did and should have sealed his doom.
Spot on with his comments regarding NIL. It has sucked the joy out of CF.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I can't imagine being a coach trying to deal with players in this environment. What an absolute mess.
I’m guessing a coach would go to jail today for shaking someone’s head by his face mask like a cocktail shaker the we they used to…

Last edited:

Wexahu

I’m guessing a coach would go to jail for shaking someone’s head by his face mask like a cocktail shaker…
In a lot of ways they aren't allowed to coach anymore. You're always one ass-chewing away from losing a kid, and who of us who ever played sports didn't get a well-deserved and well intentioned ass-chewing at one time or another that we really needed (but didn't see it that way at the time).

Horned Toad

In a lot of ways they aren't allowed to coach anymore. You're always one ass-chewing away from losing a kid, and who of us who ever played sports didn't get a well-deserved and well intentioned ass-chewing at one time or another that we really needed (but didn't see it that way at the time).
100%

I think that college football is going to be a hideous mess for a while. The NIL paradigm is unsustainable. Ultimately, I think that schools will employ football players, who will unionize and enter into a CBA. But the road to that point will be bumpy. Title IX issues will not be easy to overcome.

Dogfrog

I think that college football is going to be a hideous mess for a while. The NIL paradigm is unsustainable. Ultimately, I think that schools will employ football players, who will unionize and enter into a CBA. But the road to that point will be bumpy. Title IX issues will not be easy to overcome.

In other words, Herbie, no Ohio State national championships since 2014.

It's going to take a team like Akron or Utah State that has a billionaire alumnus willing to win at all cost and money whip everyone, get all the best coaches and players to win a Natty before they realize the monster they created and act accordingly.

froginaustin

It's going to take a team like Akron or Utah State that has a billionaire alumnus willing to win at all cost and money whip everyone, get all the best coaches and players to win a Natty before they realize the monster they created and act accordingly.

Like Oregon?

Seems to me that Nike and UO have been making a run at it.

NewFrogFan

Victim of the team's success in 2022 and giving up a TON of points in NC game and in 2 games in 2023. I like the guy and I think he's a good coach. However, a 3 man front doesn't work unless you've got guys like Randy White all across the front. I know he will do a great job in Waco.
I wonder how many college age remember RW?

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain

Yup, Title IX won't allow schools to favor a men's sport like that over women's sports. So, that's not going to happen unless they also employ ALL athletes and the vast majority of schools can't afford to do that. The NIL ruling killed college football, we'll just need to learn to play/pay better within the new system.

Latest posts