• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Michigan has 1 loss in 2 years; was the Wolverines’ Fiesta Bowl loss to TCU a fluke?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Michigan has 1 loss in 2 years; was the Wolverines’ Fiesta Bowl loss to TCU a fluke?​

By Big Steaming Pile

Now that they are one year removed from it, the Michigan football players who were a part of the team that lost to TCU in the Fiesta Bowl can be honest about all of it.

“We underestimated them,” Michigan wide receiver Tyler Morris said Saturday. “Look at any of our interviews before we played them; we talked about their defense and how we were going to run through them.

“We didn’t give them that respect. They were in the playoffs just like us, and they didn’t get there by a fluke. They came out and they wanted it more and played better. We still talk about that loss.”

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article283860633.html

Also at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...s-fiesta-bowl-loss-to-tcu-a-fluke/ar-AA1myEd5

Last edited:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Any way you want to slice what was one of the most exciting games in college football history, TCU beat Michigan.

And the Michigan players know it.

“I would not say it was a fluke, but I would say it prepared us for this year and to be where we are now, definitely,” Michigan defensive back Will Johnson said. “The attention to detail; learning from our mistakes we made (against TCU).”

One week after that loss, most of the Michigan players didn’t bother paying attention to the national championship game between Georgia and TCU. They didn’t want to watch, or follow, a game they planned to play.

One year later, Michigan is in the title game and can look back at its one loss in two years as anything but a fluke.

They just got beat.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse

Michigan has 1 loss in 2 years; was the Wolverines’ Fiesta Bowl loss to TCU a fluke?​

By Big Steaming Pile

Now that they are one year removed from it, the Michigan football players who were a part of the team that lost to TCU in the Fiesta Bowl can be honest about all of it.

“We underestimated them,” Michigan wide receiver Tyler Morris said Saturday. “Look at any of our interviews before we played them; we talked about their defense and how we were going to run through them.

“We didn’t give them that respect. They were in the playoffs just like us, and they didn’t get there by a fluke. They came out and they wanted it more and played better. We still talk about that loss.”

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article283860633.html

Also at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...s-fiesta-bowl-loss-to-tcu-a-fluke/ar-AA1myEd5
Tyler Morris answers the question in the third para.

Spoiler: No, not a fluke

CountryFrog

I’m not sure we’d win too many times if we played them ten times. But who cares? You get one chance and it is what it is. It will stand for forever, fluke or not.

Side note Harbaugh still has a fluky 0-3 record vs TCU…
I'm really not trying to attack you here because there are a ton of people who use this kind of phrasing with football games. Almost any time someone wins that isn't expected to win then there's a whole trove of media types talking about how they only win that game 1 out of 10 times and this just happened to be the 1.

It goes without saying but I guess it needs to be said that never in the history of football have teams ever played each other 10 times. It's the ultimate one chance, win or go home sport. It's one of the things that makes the sport great that every single game means everything, especially in a playoff scenario.

And yes I do understand its a hypothetical and to a certain degree I understand the point trying to be made in the hypothetical. But it's a totally meaningless and arbitrary point. It's as useless as saying after every single completed pass "you know that QB probably only makes that throw 3 out of 10 times and you just happened to see one of the 3."

Sorry for the rant. It's just a pet peeve of mine because most of the time people use it as a way to either discredit the winning team or to minimize the fact that they themselves got a prediction wrong. If someone said before the game that Michigan will win by 3 TD's because they're far superior to TCU then afterward they can use the 1 out of 10 logic instead of just admitting they were wrong and TCU is better than they thought and maybe Michigan isn't as good as they thought.

froginmn

I seem to remember thinking the Rose ended just in time because TCU was tiring in the trench. Thank goodness Scony didn’t convert that two pointer that was open there, until it was blocked.
After the failed onside kick we ran the ball for a first down to seal it, at a time when Wisky gave everything they had to stop us. Doesn't seem like that would have happened if we were tiring.

Froggy Style

I’m not sure we’d win too many times if we played them ten times. But who cares? You get one chance and it is what it is. It will stand for forever, fluke or not.

Side note Harbaugh still has a fluky 0-3 record vs TCU…
We kicked their butt for most of the game. If not for "fluke" int's and a fumble...it could have been a 35 point game. Perhaps their getting the game close was a fluke against our 9 NFL players. Dumb arguments work both ways.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
big whale GIF