• The KillerFrogs

A New perspective on the PAC 12's viewership/rank

asleep003

If one looks at the new/additional probable viewership/metro markets following OUT's departure in 2025, B12 can assume Media interest.

a) Orlando - 2.7 mil
b) Houston - 7.2 mil
c) Utah - 3.15 mil
d) Cincy - 2.25 mil

---possible/probable---

e) Arizona - 7.1 mil (Phoenix - 5 mil)
f) Colorado - 5 mil
g) Bay Area - 7.7 mil

---not likely/possible---

h) U. of Utah (adds little over what BYU brings already to B12)
i) Oregon - 4.2 mil
J) Wahington - 7.5 mil

Available to Big12 prior to probably picking up at least 2 from the ACC... Media will have to look at these additional #s seriously.

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
If one looks at the new/additional probable viewership/metro markets following OUT's departure in 2025, B12 can assume Media interest.

a) Orlando - 2.7 mil
b) Houston - 7.2 mil
c) Utah - 3.15 mil
d) Cincy - 2.25 mil

---possible/probable---

e) Arizona - 7.1 mil (Phoenix - 5 mil)
f) Colorado - 5 mil
g) Bay Area - 7.7 mil

---not likely/possible---

h) U. of Utah (adds little over what BYU brings already to B12)
i) Oregon - 4.2 mil
J) Wahington - 7.5 mil

Available to Big12 prior to probably picking up at least 2 from the ACC... Media will have to look at these additional #s seriously.
Yeah, but media already knows no one in Houston cares about UH. Its been a UT, A&M, LSU city forever.
I‘m guessing same for Cincy with tOSU, Orlando with UF, FSU and Miami.

Chieves

Wazzu would be fun, y'all. Screw ratings. Those guys know how to party, and not in a harmful Arky or LSU way. They're just down to clown and have their flag at every gameday.

Limey Frog

This is huge, I think. There's no way that ESPN or anyone right now puts up enough money for Oregon to sign any contract that doesn't let them get out. That diminishes the overall value, and it makes it impossible for other schools to budget long-term. Oregon State has no choice but to sit and hope that Kevin Warren never calls Eugene. But Utah and Arizona have another option. They just have to decide what the dollar amount is that's enough to keep them in an unstable situation, and they need to see solid evidence of what the Big XII might pay.

The BU AD expectations appear to be for a B12 media contract of $40m+

I expect they have pretty good evidence they can show prospective members on this point, albeit unofficial.

HG73

Yep, everybody knows what each school is worth. None of them bring value to B1GSEC but B1G may take Cal & Stanford to lock up CA. Maybe not.
Either way this talk is dramatically destabilizing the PAC.
Plus their new TV offer of $24.5 is a good deal below $43 estimated for the Big12.

Eight

Yep, everybody knows what each school is worth. None of them bring value to B1GSEC but B1G may take Cal & Stanford to lock up CA. Maybe not.
Either way this talk is dramatically destabilizing the PAC.
Plus their new TV offer of $24.5 is a good deal below $43 estimated for the Big12.

4 conference schools in one state isn't a good model to follow.

asleep003

Yeah, but media already knows no one in Houston cares about UH. Its been a UT, A&M, LSU city forever.
I‘m guessing same for Cincy with tOSU, Orlando with UF, FSU and Miami.
Some of that is true, but they'll be a P5, soon to be a P4 team and a little later in a P3 League. That will change the outlook.

Some of that is true, but they'll be a P5, soon to be a P4 team and a little later in a P3 League. That will change the outlook.
1. Maybe—I was viewing The University of Houston optimistically last year, promoting its growth and leadership, primarily because I live in Houston and have friends that are UH fans and read about the school some. But I am now back to questioning Houston. They had a very good football season last year (12-2, AP #17) and their viewership was awful. And that’s coming off the high of their basketball team advancing to the Final Four the prior spring. To have a good alumni fan base, you need pride in the school you attended. I just don’t know that UH has enough of that from their graduates and families. I don’t know that the residents of Houston have enough pride in UH. But it is improving with good leadership.

2. As far as adding the huge Houston metro viewership area, I am confused on that, still ignorant. If capturing a large metro area mostly matters because of carriage fees of a conference network, being forced on all linear subscribers’ cable and satellite bundle, then it does the Big 12 no good without a conference network, correct? It isn’t like the Big Ten grabbing Rutgers for the New York carriage fees from the Big Ten Network being bundled. I believe the SEC Network is bundled in Houston due to Aggie and LSU fans, but I may be wrong. Does the Big 12 need a conference network to really profit from the metro area, by capturing forced bundled carriage fees of that network onto the Houston metro? That would apply for all the Big 12’s large metro areas, these metros we believe are so important.

Last edited:

froginaustin

. . . I believe the SEC Network is bundled in Houston due to Aggie and LSU fans. Does the Big 12 need a conference network in order to really profit from capturing forced carriage fees of a large metro area?

I hope we get a chance to find out. As I understand the argument, the Longhorn Network alone was enough to discourage ESPiN, etc., from setting up a B12 network even without the additional irritation of OU's half-azzed imitation of the LHN. Now with 12 teams that arguably are pretty well matched and play at a high level, maybe there will finally be a B12 network, with or without forced carriage fees.

I've heard some talk that the Longhorn Network will transmogrify into a B12 Network when UTx content is captured by the SEC network. Let that happen, or better.

Eight

Maybe, and I was viewing Houston optimistically last year, promoting its growth and leadership, but mainly because I live in Houston and have friends that are UH fans and read about the school some. But I am now back to questioning Houston. They had a very good football season last year (12-2, AP #17) and their viewership was awful. And that’s coming off the high of their basketball team advancing to the Final Four the prior spring. To have a good alumni fan base, you need pride in the school you attended. I just don’t know that UH has enough of that from their graduates. I don’t know that the residents of Houston have enough pride in that university. But it is improving with good leadership.

As far as adding the huge Houston metro viewership area, I am confused on that, still ignorant. If capturing a large metro area mostly matters because of carriage fees of a conference network being forced on all linear subscribers cable and satellite bundle, then it does the Big 12 no good without a conference network, correct? It isn’t like the Big Ten grabbing Rutgers for the New York carriage fees from the Big Ten Network being bundled. I believe the SEC Network is bundled in Houston due to Aggie and LSU fans, but I may be wrong. Does the Big 12 need a conference network in order to really profit from capturing forced bundled carriage fees of that network onto the large Houston metro area? I guess that would apply for all the Big 12’s large metro areas, these large metros we believe are so important.

don't ever and i mean back in the day when the cougs were winning in the swc did they draw much attention in houston

oilers first and foremost then, texans now, and then the big schools

maybe it is because of all the transplants, but if you simply turn on a sports radio channel in houston you rarely hear talk about the cougs unless it is granato who is longtime drinking buddies with dana

heck, houston is an odd sports tv town with that goofy network for the astros where a large part of the area doesn't have access through their streaming platforms

Endless Purple

Maybe—I was viewing The University of Houston optimistically last year, promoting its growth and leadership, primarily because I live in Houston and have friends that are UH fans and read about the school some. But I am now back to questioning Houston. They had a very good football season last year (12-2, AP #17) and their viewership was awful. And that’s coming off the high of their basketball team advancing to the Final Four the prior spring. To have a good alumni fan base, you need pride in the school you attended. I just don’t know that UH has enough of that from their graduates and families. I don’t know that the residents of Houston have enough pride in UH. But it is improving with good leadership.

As far as adding the huge Houston metro viewership area, I am confused on that, still ignorant. If capturing a large metro area mostly matters because of carriage fees of a conference network, being forced on all linear subscribers’ cable and satellite bundle, then it does the Big 12 no good without a conference network, correct? It isn’t like the Big Ten grabbing Rutgers for the New York carriage fees from the Big Ten Network being bundled. I believe the SEC Network is bundled in Houston due to Aggie and LSU fans, but I may be wrong. Does the Big 12 need a conference network in order to really profit from capturing forced bundled carriage fees of that network onto the large Houston metro area? That would apply for all the Big 12’s large metro areas, these metros we believe are so important.
I think one of the problems with UH is that after a winning season, their coach leaves. (not to mention, have you seen their scheduled opponents) It might take a little stability for casual fans to jump in. I do see tons of people around with UH stickers and shirts out in public, so there are fans. Are they like A&M, no, but they will carry the Houston area better than Tech, BU, and TCU would alone. UH is also a different school now than in the 70s. Far less on the commuter type and a little closer to traditional 4 year school than before.

82 Frog Fever

Wazzu would be fun, y'all. Screw ratings. Those guys know how to party, and not in a harmful Arky or LSU way. They're just down to clown and have their flag at every gameday.
The problem is it’s all their conference partners that are paying for Wazzu’s parties. Making everyone else worse off.
They‘re dead weight looking for their next sugar daddy, and OSU is doing the same.