• The KillerFrogs

A New perspective on the PAC 12's viewership/rank

asleep003

Jeremy Cluff of the Arizona Republic... PAC12's TV 2016 thru 2021 viewership/ranking. Has altered my outlook on certain schools... solidified on others.

1. USC
2. Washington
3. Oregon
5. WSU/Stanford
6. UCLA (barely)
7. Utah
8. ASU
9. CU
10. CAL
11. UA
12. OSU

Some real shockers here. Looks like UW and UO could make a very likely pair, but BIG is most likely waiting 1st on a ND commitment.
WSU is a shocker, but UA was no surprise with only a metro market of about 1,000,000 population.

Eight

Jeremy Cluff of the Arizona Republic... PAC12's TV 2016 thru 2021 viewership/ranking. Has altered my outlook on certain schools... solidified on others.

1. USC
2. Washington
3. Oregon
5. WSU/Stanford
6. UCLA (barely)
7. Utah
8. ASU
9. CU
10. CAL
11. UA
12. OSU

Some real shockers here. Looks like UW and UO could make a very likely pair, but BIG is most likely waiting 1st on a ND commitment.
WSU is a shocker, but UA was no surprise with only a metro market of about 1,000,000 population.

i want to see the source of those numbers for wazzu

would also be interested in the actual numbers and not rankings

Eight

Does WSU get a stronger look ... or now that Leach is gone, they get relegated down to UA and OSU viewer strength.?.

hell no, they are running a bigger deficit than ucla and as someone with a wife with family in that state they are an afterthought

Endless Purple

Obvious Troll

WSU would be a great candidate for the Big 12. Why? Because WSU is a humble land grant university nestled in the waving grain and endless beer taps of the Palouse. Unlike Baylor or Zoobie BYU, WSU won't try to break up a conference or use political pull to leave TCU wandering in the football wilderness for a decade. Plus WSU tends to have decades of mediocre performance that allows other teams in the conference, like TCU to have great football seasons, padded with wins at WSU's expense.

GO Cougs!

Hemingway

WSU would be a great candidate for the Big 12. Why? Because WSU is a humble land grant university nestled in the waving grain and endless beer taps of the Palouse. Unlike Baylor or Zoobie BYU, WSU won't try to break up a conference or use political pull to leave TCU wandering in the football wilderness for a decade. Plus WSU tends to have decades of mediocre performance that allows other teams in the conference, like TCU to have great football seasons, padded with wins at WSU's expense.

GO Cougs!
Or… we take wazzu just to blow up the pac12. We need to go for the weakest link. They can’t lose anybody

Limey Frog

Andy Staples has been writing about this at The Athletic; Wazzu gets good ratings. They would also, as OT says, be a good cultural fit.

For me the objection would be that they are so far west and I think the Big 12, if we could pick up the "four corners" schools that have been discussed, would get them only because the Pac 12 is finished. If that's the case, the landscape may be unstable enough later to fracture the ACC, in which case I'd rather save space for the likes of VT and Louisville.

(All that said, I'm in "believe it when I see it" mode on this whole thing.)

Limey Frog

This is worth a read; it will clear up a lot of confusion:

I'll try to attach the table of data for those who aren't Athletic subscribers.

I've read more about this stuff in the past three weeks than is good for me, mostly because I live in permanent low-level dread that TCU football will end up back in 1994 no matter how hard we try.

Here's what I think is going to happen, and what we're rooting for:

I expect nothing to happen this year now. I think the Pac 10 will sign no more than a 5-year TV deal with ESPN worth roughly what ACC schools make. We need to hope that Oregon and UW manipulate everyone into unequal revenue shares; that's a recipe for long-term discord. Then we need Notre Dame to sign a new deal with NBC to stay independent, and the Big 12 needs to negotiate a new rights deal that is better than what the Pac 10 has. Hopefully at some later date the Big 10 would pick off another Pac school or two, then we're in position to profit.

The danger with them surviving is that if Oregon and Washington ever come to understand that they'll never be in the Big 10, the Big 12 could be in trouble. The nightmare scenario might be if Notre Dame joined the Big 10 alongside Stanford, removing the main source of objection to the additions of schools like Tech/Oklahoma State (academics) and BYU/Baylor (religion)--Stanford is the worst snob on both of those. Leave Oregon behind and maybe they turn around, commit fully to the Pac-whatever, and absorb a bunch of schools that aren't TCU.

Conclusion: we need to win football games again; lots of them, soon.

Attachments

• PNG image.png
    PNG image.png
    147.9 KB · Views: 40
  • PNG image 2.png
    PNG image 2.png
    148.4 KB · Views: 38

Palliative Care

I agree that nothing may happen this year. However, there is no clear path forward either for both the P12 and the B12. I think that the P12 can get enough money to stay alive this year and it will be in a wait and see mode. So far as all that other speculation...well we have seen a lot of it lately and... here we still sit.

So on to football thread about TCU's team this fall.

Wexahu

I agree that nothing may happen this year. However, there is no clear path forward either for both the P12 and the B12. I think that the P12 can get enough money to stay alive this year and it will be in a wait and see mode. So far as all that other speculation...well we have seen a lot of it lately and... here we still sit.

So on to football thread about TCU's team this fall.
I guess I don't see the benefit to any PAC school of a "wait and see" approach other than UW and UO (and I guess possibly Cal and Stanford). IMO that is clearly a path that only accommodates UW and UO. Maybe the thinking is even if the BIG invites don't come they can add a couple west coast schools and make a viable 12-team league again?

Anyway, I agree with the idea of going hard after UA, ASU, UC and Utah and try and put a stake through the PAC. At the very least, that would force the others to take a path.

Eight

Andy Staples has been writing about this at The Athletic; Wazzu gets good ratings. They would also, as OT says, be a good cultural fit.

For me the objection would be that they are so far west and I think the Big 12, if we could pick up the "four corners" schools that have been discussed, would get them only because the Pac 12 is finished. If that's the case, the landscape may be unstable enough later to fracture the ACC, in which case I'd rather save space for the likes of VT and Louisville.

(All that said, I'm in "believe it when I see it" mode on this whole thing.)

as endless pointed out, leach had a big factor in that

would be very interested in the post leach numbers sans usc, uo, and the apple cup

leading Oregom columnist
Don-Quixote-Windmill.gif