• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

TCURiggs

Thats a little bit like the saying the solders at auschwitz were just following orders.
Right is right and wrong is wrong. And silence or worse active participation makes you complicit. I Don't know the facts because i wasn't in the room but Briles and all associated with that program stink to high heaven.

I hear ya, man. As I've said, I understand the hesitation by some with Kaz due to the Art/Baylor ties (not the fan incident, as I don't even think that's worth discussion after 10+ years), but I also see the side of holding the leader responsible (especially with someone like Art), admitting that I don't truly know all the specifics of the others, and believing in second chances in most cases. Couple the second chances part with years of no issues/incidents with the others all around the country, and consider me comfortable enough with hiring Kaz as a S&C college football coach. That's it.

I also think Kaz is good at his job, I think Dykes is a good man who will run a good program, unlike Art, which adds another level of comfortability to the decision. That seems very reasonable to me, and that's without even mentioning the "major CFB programs have a lot of tainted players, coaches, donors, etc..." to it. It seems like the few who are up in arms over that decision seem to be a bit more irrational/personal about it. I have no problem with those that aren't comfortable with that and want to take their money and support somewhere where they can find a program that has none of that, if it exists, but I am a bit surprised by that line of thinking since I think that's a pipe dream. With my line of thinking, I'll obviously be a bit surprised and likely argue a bit with those that are very vocal about the "holier than though" stance on a major college football program message board that I follow.

YA

Working on it - thanks for the concern

My med school needed the scholarship money - so it was an easy decision over this joke
LOL
Tom Hanks Hello GIF

No, nothing firm. The last two weeks have been pretty wild, I’ll just leave it at that.

Dykes should have left SMU last Sunday… too bad.

Lost four out of his last five, 1-3 now overall against Tulsa, and another November collapse. I understand the distraction angle of the hire for his players, but it fits right into his reoccurring narrative and overall trends. It was stupid for him to coach that game today.

I hope this works out for TCU, JD, and the committee that signed off on this, we will know in a couple years I suppose.

That DC hire will be massive, and could define if his time here is a success. Needs to hit a home run.

Look forward to getting a summary of all the craziness that happened behind the scenes from you. I suspect this has been teed up for quite sometime (months)

There is a guy on the other board who has a high up source that told him Napier really wanted the job, and we backed away from him, not the other way around.

No idea if true or not, but he was adamant that Napier never told us “no”, and wanted it and was ready to go.

I have my doubts, especially if Napier ends up at Florida, but that would be disappointing to say the least if true.

Wexahu

Lost four out of his last five, 1-3 now overall against Tulsa, and another November collapse. I understand the distraction angle of the hire for his players, but it fits right into his reoccurring narrative and overall trends. It was stupid for him to coach that game today.

I hope this works out for TCU, JD, and the committee that signed off on this, we will know in a couple years I suppose.

That DC hire will be massive, and could define if his time here is a success. Needs to hit a home run.

Look forward to getting a summary of all the craziness that happened behind the scenes from you. I suspect this has been teed up for quite sometime (months)

There is a guy on the other board who has a high up source that told him Napier really wanted the job, and we backed away from him, not the other way around.

No idea if true or not, but he was adamant that Napier never told us “no”, and wanted it and was ready to go.

I have my doubts, especially if Napier ends up at Florida, but that would be disappointing to say the least if true.
I doubt it’s true but you seem to act like Napier is some sure thing. He hasn’t coached above the Sun Belt level before, in what might be the worst division in all FBS football. What if he goes to Florida and doesn’t quite meet expectations? And Dykes does well here. Will you still be disappointed?

I remember when Dan Mullen and Tom Herman were absolute home runs, with major programs fighting over them.

I doubt it’s true but you seem to act like Napier is some sure thing. He hasn’t coached above the Sun Belt level before, in what might be the worst division in all FBS football. What if he goes to Florida and doesn’t quite meet expectations? And Dykes does well here. Will you still be disappointed?

I remember when Dan Mullen and Tom Herman were absolute home runs, with major programs fighting over them.

None of these guys are a sure thing, but I would have preferred to roll the dice on Napier as opposed to Dykes.

I pretty much know what I’m going to get with Dykes after 12 years. I do agree with many his immediate floor is probably a bit higher than Napier, but I believe Napier has much more upside overall. Just my opinion…

Pretty obvious TCU put a tremendous amount of importance on a regional hire that is familiar with Texas and the DFW area, knows how to use the portal, and will market the hell out of the program. I think familiarity to the TCU program was super important as well.

These traits were obviously more important than the WIn/Loss record and historical numbers/trends/data points tied to the coach.

It seems the plan is to market the hell out of the program, go all in on DFW recruiting, and try and get the casual fan back engaged, and grow this fanbase and the market it sits in, and set us up for realignment in the coming years as the DFW team, and the associated TV sets that come with that.

A high powered wide open offense should fit into the above plan as well, and hopefully we get that.

All that sounds great, but you got to win, and Dykes has never won big, or come close to it. We will see if that changes..

Going to be an interesting three years.. it will be even more interesting to compare Dykes/Napier down the road.

Last edited:

TCURiggs

All of the hires like this are pretty much a roll of the dice, and I was one of those who initially preferred Napier over Dykes (out of the realistic candidates). Having said that, my caveat was that if it ended up being Dykes I thought we'd need an almost complete change of assistants with him, primarily including Samples for recruiting reasons, and here we are. Feel like we did about as well as we could at this point, and I'm now excited about it, assuming the staff plays out like it seems to be doing.

tcufootballjh98

ESPN/Adam Rittenberg

2021 coach: Gary Patterson (out after 3-5 start)

Replacement: Sonny Dykes, previously SMU head coach

Grade: A-

Analysis: The move makes sense on a number of levels. Athletic director Jeremiah Donati practically described Dykes in explaining what TCU wanted for Patterson's successor. Dykes is already in the market, boasts Power 5 and Group of 5 head-coaching experience, and runs a dynamic offense that should attract players to TCU. He also has made SMU a transfer destination and can brand TCU the same way. Dykes likely will bring assistant Ra'Shaad Samples and other talented recruiters with him from Dallas to Fort Worth. He spent the 2017 season as an offensive analyst at TCU under Patterson, recharging after a bad experience at the end with Cal. Dykes then landed the SMU job and went 10-3 in his second season.

The 52-year-old Dykes knows the Big 12 from his time as a Texas Tech assistant, and as the son of former Texas Tech coach Spike Dykes. The only real concern with him is whether he can put together complete seasons at TCU. Dykes started 8-0 in 2019 before dropping three of the final five games. SMU started 7-1 last year before dropping its last two games, and began this fall 7-0 before dropping three of the past four. His November record will need to improve for TCU to start competing for Big 12 championships again.

gofor2

I don't care it the guy works or not. The point is, that whoever hires him has to live with the stink that accompanies him.

The guy lied to facilitate rape. I don't want TCU to hire a guy who lied and protected rapists. It's as simple as that.
So you will not watch another tcu game as long as he is a coach and I am rape enabler?
You know we have a player on our team that was denied admission at the school he signed with originally because he was accused of rape right? Not facilitating rape either….ACTUAL RAPE. I tried to find the thread where you guys were all complaining about it but it must have gotten accidentally deleted or something.
Well, you can stew in your own words, pal.

For my part, I can remember a time when TCU would not even think of hiring someone who was a featured performer in such a production. It seems that those days are gone. Evidently, those running things at TCU consider moral blemishes like Mr. Kazadi to be Program Enhancers. Such low standards tend to diminish my enthusiasm for the Program.

Will I watch? Maybe. Will I buy Season Tickets again? Probably not. Will I donate? Nope.

Call it Death of Enthusiasm by Numerous Cuts.
If that is true and he was not proven to be incorrectly accused- then frankly anyone that had knowledge of that should be suspended including the coaches that signed him (well we fired the HC already) and our AD staff that knew about it

But are really trying to deflect what Katz did at Baylor as say it’s not that big of a deal?

kumbaya-peace.gif

Peacefrog

Degenerate
You are kidding right?

How about the 10th circuit court of appeals testimony, the released details on Pepper Hamilton, any of about 5 dozen articles

Jesus we have some sad sack of [ #2020 ] fans if people are trying to deny Kaz did anything wrong

It may take me a few weeks to get all my “commitments” to TCU reversed but Wex is right- not worth the effort for trying to explain why it’s wrong hiring someone directly named as involved with the rape scandal at Baylor

Peace out
Nah. I’m still here.

Moose Stuff

You are kidding right?

How about the 10th circuit court of appeals testimony, the released details on Pepper Hamilton, any of about 5 dozen articles

Jesus we have some sad sack of [ #2020 ] fans if people are trying to deny Kaz did anything wrong

It may take me a few weeks to get all my “commitments” to TCU reversed but Wex is right- not worth the effort for trying to explain why it’s wrong hiring someone directly named as involved with the rape scandal at Baylor

Peace out
Not one person in this thread is denying he did anything wrong. The feeling of those you disagree with is that he didn’t do anything so awful that he shouldn’t be able to continue to perform his job. A job he has performed very well and without incident since leaving Baylor I might add.

And LMAO at letting us know you were “decommitting” from TCU. Hopefully we can find another fly fisher in the portal.
#nointerviews #respectmydecision

Last edited: