• The KillerFrogs

2021 MLB Thread

FBallFan123

Because he had some command issues this year, and at the highest level his stuff today is not as dominant as it would have seemed even two years ago.

There’s also the economics … Rocker probably got an over-slot deal.

The teams right in front of the Mets - specifically the Royals, Rockies, Angels - all appear to have gone underslot.

Common draft tactic to save money early on so teams can spend it later.

Moose Stuff

There’s also the economics … Rocker probably got an over-slot deal.

The teams right in front of the Mets - specifically the Royals, Rockies, Angels - all appear to have gone underslot.

Common draft tactic to save money early on so teams can spend it later.

Rocker was telling teams picking up top that he would take a below slot deal. He fell because his stuff was very up and down this year.

Punter1

still bitter?

the astros cheated, the interesting thing is how baseball continues to protect the yanks, red sox, and dodgers yet the astros are the really bad guys.

doesn't matter, the win wasn't taken away, they beat the yankees when mccullars threw 22 straight curve balls to close the yanks out, but i guess knowing what is coming only helps when you can hit it, and they beat the dodgers in dodger stadium.

what will really be funny is when correra signs elsewhere and he suddenly gets accepted

I am...had they just apologized and moved on, kinda like Andy Pettit I woulda been ok with then. But they've been defiant, smug liars. So unbecoming. And I seriously doubt Correa gets accepted anywhere...they both have scarlet letters.

But I agree on Boston, NYY and the Dodgers. I hate them also.

Eight

I am...had they just apologized and moved on, kinda like Andy Pettit I woulda been ok with then. But they've been defiant, smug liars. So unbecoming. And I seriously doubt Correa gets accepted anywhere...they both have scarlet letters.

springer is with toronto, marwin went to minnesota, signed for 21M for 2 years and then apologized, jake marisnick is with the cubs, and josh reddick is with az

heck, hinch got a job again and i doubt he gets booed each time he walks out of the dugout in detroit

correa will get signed and that fanbase wil accept him. we have seen this play out again and again which is why the outrage has grown tired.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

Really, it's all about the above three, and the manner in which MLB decided to scapegoat one team while actively covering up what the others did. Additionally, I'm sure each and every team had an operation going using video and heavy analysis to try and get an edge. As I understand it, the NY and LA systems were the most thorough, but we never heard about those because Manfred and his minions covered it up.

The Astros have a right to be pissed. They have been made out to be the Bad Guys in all this courtesy of MLB, while hated rivals are held up as The Virtuous Wronged when they were anything but. It's like seeing the 1985 TCU-NCAA Saga all over again: The NCAA annihilates our program while flagrantly guilty UT and A&M suffer no penalties whatsoever. And they laughed about it...

FBallFan123

Rocker was telling teams picking up top that he would take a below slot deal. He fell because his stuff was very up and down this year.

Passan tweeted Rocker will likely get top 5 money.

The slot value for the #5 pick was $6,180,700.

The players the Royals, Rockies and Angels drafted at 7-9 likely aren’t getting close to that.

Punter1

Ok...as a Cubs fan I really like the Jordan Wicks pick at 21 because we need immediate rotation help and a college arm is gonna get there the quickest obviously.

But Ty Madden was available and I was expecting him to go before Wicks. Do you agree with Wicks over Madden or was their other factors (signability, bonus, etc) at play...

FBallFan123

From MLB Pipeline:

Scouting Grades/Report (20-80 grading scale)
  • HIT
  • POWER
  • RUN
  • ARM
  • FIELD
  • OVERALL

As a high schooler in Oregon, Zavala was named the state’s 6A Player of the Year in 2018, but wasn’t considered much of a pro prospect and headed to the University of Oregon. After an ordinary freshman year, Zavala hit .418, albeit without any power in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season. He showed that was no fluke as he hit .392/.525/.628 in 2021 to go from a mildly intriguing college performer to one of the better pure college bats in a class that has lacked that category, one who was named the Pac-12 Player of the Year and was a Golden Spikes Award finalist.

A left-handed hitter, Zavala has long shown an incredible knack for contact, rarely swinging and missing and walking more than he’s struck out in his Ducks career. He keeps his bat head in the zone for a long time with excellent pitch recognition, spraying the ball to all fields, mostly with gap power, but showing some ability to occasionally pull the ball with more authority this year. He’s gotten a bit faster as he’s matured and is considered an average runner now.

Zavala has played both third and the outfield at Oregon, but focused solely on the latter in 2021 and was much more comfortable there, playing right field regularly, though left might be the best spot for him at the next level given his average-at-best arm. Given the lack of standout performers and the fact that Zavala’s data will tick off boxes in analytic departments, he could come off the board in the top three rounds.

ftwfrog

From MLB Pipeline:

• HIT
  • POWER
  • RUN
  • ARM
  • FIELD
  • OVERALL

As a high schooler in Oregon, Zavala was named the state’s 6A Player of the Year in 2018, but wasn’t considered much of a pro prospect and headed to the University of Oregon. After an ordinary freshman year, Zavala hit .418, albeit without any power in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season. He showed that was no fluke as he hit .392/.525/.628 in 2021 to go from a mildly intriguing college performer to one of the better pure college bats in a class that has lacked that category, one who was named the Pac-12 Player of the Year and was a Golden Spikes Award finalist.

A left-handed hitter, Zavala has long shown an incredible knack for contact, rarely swinging and missing and walking more than he’s struck out in his Ducks career. He keeps his bat head in the zone for a long time with excellent pitch recognition, spraying the ball to all fields, mostly with gap power, but showing some ability to occasionally pull the ball with more authority this year. He’s gotten a bit faster as he’s matured and is considered an average runner now.

Zavala has played both third and the outfield at Oregon, but focused solely on the latter in 2021 and was much more comfortable there, playing right field regularly, though left might be the best spot for him at the next level given his average-at-best arm. Given the lack of standout performers and the fact that Zavala’s data will tick off boxes in analytic departments, he could come off the board in the top three rounds.

He’ll never make it with the Rangers. His BA is way too high.

FBallFan123

Rangers draft a Texas Tech recruit…

MLB Pipeline:

• HIT
  • POWER
  • RUN
  • ARM
  • FIELD
  • OVERALL

Cauley isn't a tremendously physical player, but he plays with the swagger of a bigger guy a la Dustin Pedroia. And while his listed 5-foot-10 height may be a bit generous, he's one of the more advanced hitters in the high school class, runs well and has a good chance to stick at shortstop. He sparked Barbers Hill (Mont Belvieu) to its first-ever Texas 5-A state championship this spring.

Cauley has extremely quick hands and a quality right-handed swing that allow him to make repeated contact. He controls the strike zone well, consistently has competitive at-bats and uses the entire field. His bat speed and deceptive strength give him surprising pop that results in doubles to the gaps and some pull-side home runs.

Regularly clocked in 4.2 seconds from home to first, Cauley has plus speed and uses it aggressively on the bases. The Texas Tech recruit has very good instincts and actions at shortstop, and the only thing that might prevent him from staying there is an arm that grades merely as average. If he has to move, he'd fit nicely at second base or in center field.