• The KillerFrogs

2021 Season Ticket Demand - Decrease?

ticketfrog123

Has anyone actually cancelled their football season tickets? Curious if people are actually shifting away from in-person events due to cost or time commitment

(you can complain about Donati in the other thread)

Given all the complaints and surveys from athletic department concerning:
  1. Athletic event capacity
  2. On the field performance
  3. Ticket pricing

Purp

Has anyone actually cancelled their football season tickets? Curious if people are actually shifting away from in-person events due to cost or time commitment

(you can complain about Donati in the other thread)

Given all the complaints and surveys from athletic department concerning:
  1. Athletic event capacity
  2. On the field performance
  3. Ticket pricing
I opted out last season for two reasons.

1) My kids are playing soccer and baseball on Saturdays so it was going to be tough for us to make most games starting before 6pm. But that's been the case for a couple seasons now and we've kept our seats.
2) I wasn't interested in coming in person to an artificially reduced capacity crowd required to wear masks. I could have a more raucous environment in my living room, have a better viewing experience, enjoy cheaper & better beer/food, not sacrifice priority points position, and avoid paying all that money to miss out on a better experience at home.

I renewed this season even though our Saturdays in the fall will still have a lot of kids sports in the mornings. My expectation is that capacity will be 100%. If it's not I'll be hotter than a road lizard. The only reason games can be better in person than at home is a large crowd to build atmosphere. It can't be done with loud music and noise from the stadium PA system. It's an organic thing that can't be manufactured. Fans feed off of one another and the players feed off of that. Big moments become bigger when they're shared with 45,000 people. You don't want to miss out on sharing that moment with Frog Nation so you go to the games.

It was impossible last season so we didn't go and I'm worried it won't be possible at Lupton this season. That's an enormous darning tragedy IMO bc that team has potential to be special, but Lupton magic will only be 50% as special.

Frog45

Ticket Exchange Pass
I had a ticket rep call me a few weeks ago asking if I was going to renew. I jokingly said "It depends on if my seats are going to improve this year."

I received a pretty deadpan response of "Sir, there is a good chance that is a possibility this year."

MAcFroggy

I think attendance is going to be a major problem for years to come.

I actually agree with this.

I think there is a lot of things that will contribute to this. The home game experience at AGC has been terrible the past few years. It has become very stale and boring. I think a lot of people continued to buy season tickets out of habit. They were worried about what a season would be like without tickets. They found out that it is not a big deal at all. Watching on TV is fine.

I think schools like OU, Alabama, Ohio State, etc will be fine. They will find people to buy those tickets. I worry that TCU will have trouble finding people to take season tickets that were given up last year/ are going to be given up this year.

Last edited:

mwe2187

Renewed for my TCU tickets and our OU tickets (wife is a sooner). Looking forward to full stadiums. We didn't get selected for OU last year but wanted them, ended up going to a game anyways (but couldn't make it up for more than 1).

If things aren't at 100% - then I hope we are looking for a new AD with cajones.

MAcFroggy

I am an ex-letterman and have had season tickets since 1984. This will be my last season if we don't go back to 100% capacity and no mask requirement.

so if the athletic department went to 90% capacity and no mask requirement you would cancel your tickets?

steelfrog

Tier 1
I actually agree with this.

I think there is a lot of things that will contribute to this. The home game experience at AGC has been terrible the past few years. It has become very stale and boring. I think a lot of people continued to buy season tickets out of habit. They were worried about what a season would be like without tickets. They found out that it is not a big deal at all. Watching on TV is fine.

I think schools like OU, Alabama, Ohio State, etc will be fine. They will find people to buy those tickets. I worry that TCU will have trouble finding people to take season tickets that were given up last year/ are going to be given up this year.

Stale and boring plus EIGHT losses at the Carter the last 3 years doesn't help...

Purp

I'd add that tailgating is crucial and another reason we opted out last year. It's impossible to get blocks of seats with large groups of friends so the only way to gather semi-regularly with old college buds is to tailgate. With friends spread out all over through the Houston and Austin areas to even FW/D locales on all sides of FW (even those poor souls in Collin County) it's not likely that everyone will travel those distances to watch at someone's house. It is more likely if a 5 hour tailgate precedes a (wet dream here) 3 hour game.

Once again, this is another thing that needs to be restored at Lupton posthaste. If we don't have tailgating and 100% capacity for the Texas series in a couple weekends the school will have robbed the baseball players of what could be a super regional atmosphere. And friends would drive up from Austin and Houston to attend. With no tailgating those guys will stay home and the Collin County crowd will only make it on Saturday afternoon.

Eight

I'd add that tailgating is crucial and another reason we opted out last year. It's impossible to get blocks of seats with large groups of friends so the only way to gather semi-regularly with old college buds is to tailgate. With friends spread out all over through the Houston and Austin areas to even FW/D locales on all sides of FW (even those poor souls in Collin County) it's not likely that everyone will travel those distances to watch at someone's house. It is more likely if a 5 hour tailgate precedes a (wet dream here) 3 hour game.

Once again, this is another thing that needs to be restored at Lupton posthaste. If we don't have tailgating and 100% capacity for the Texas series in a couple weekends the school will have robbed the baseball players of what could be a super regional atmosphere. And friends would drive up from Austin and Houston to attend. With no tailgating those guys will stay home and the Collin County crowd will only make it on Saturday afternoon.

based upon the newest guidance from the cdc there really is no reason not to allow tailgating back to lupton and in the fall