• The KillerFrogs

For you Xs and Os nerds

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It wasn't just Linc that ran the wheel route on us. Once somebody finds an efficient way to attack you, everybody else will pile on as well.

While I have no doubt that GMFP is plotting a crafty way to sew up the hole that Linc is exploiting, it is also likely that Linc is a step ahead and has the solution solved himself.

Wexahu

It wasn't just Linc that ran the wheel route on us. Once somebody finds an efficient way to attack you, everybody else will pile on as well.

While I have no doubt that GMFP is plotting a crafty way to sew up the hole that Linc is exploiting, it is also likely that Linc is a step ahead and has the solution solved himself.

Our D has almost always struggled against teams that are not one-dimensional, and OU has been anything but one-dimensional over the past 5 years.

Froggish

Over my head but I know some of you like this stuff. The gist of it is that Lincoln Riley is a pretty good schemer.

https://insidetexas.com/forums/thre...-riley-lands-an-uppercut-on-patterson.101622/

Good read...The reality is the main issue GP has had against Riley is he can't get pressure. Its not hard to find space against GP and if a QB has time the 4-2-5 is relatively easy to beat in the intermediate passing game. If a guy can catch a ball 1 on 1 at 8 yards, he can turn that into an explosive play. Ru after catch is what has hurt TCU over the years.

BrewingFrog

Good read...The reality is the main issue GP has had against Riley is he can't get pressure. Its not hard to find space against GP and if a QB has time the 4-2-5 is relatively easy to beat in the intermediate passing game. If a guy can catch a ball 1 on 1 at 8 yards, he can turn that into an explosive play. Ru after catch is what has hurt TCU over the years.
I go back to the Conference Championship game in '17. They had us scouted incredibly well in that game.

Of course, as you point out, if they don't get to tackle our DE on every play (and get him ejected) then they might have a wee bit more difficulty executing. But, the day they call holding on OU is the day we'll have to break out the skates...

jake102

Good read...The reality is the main issue GP has had against Riley is he can't get pressure. .

Yep. I remember in 2017 the big question was whether our DL could beat their OL and our DL got destroyed. GP also out-schemed himself, especially in the CCG. Anytime you have a DE 20 yards deep running in coverage, you have issues

Froggish

Unfortunately OU is loaded on another level this year..GP really needs to come out and just for the hell of it throw the whole world for a loop by basing out the Iowa St 3-5-3. Got to try and make OU adjust on the fly for a change.

Yeah I’m ready for Riley to take an NFL job...

Limp Lizard

Playing good defense will be a lot easier for TCU if Duggan starts throwing the ball better...like his potential showed his early Freshman year. With Cumbie gone I have high hopes. In other words, I think Duggan's passing is the the thing that can take this offense from a good running team, but mediocre overall, to a very good offense.

BrewingFrog

Playing good defense will be a lot easier for TCU if Duggan starts throwing the ball better...like his potential showed his early Freshman year. With Cumbie gone I have high hopes. In other words, I think Duggan's passing is the the thing that can take this offense from a good running team, but mediocre overall, to a very good offense.
We're certainly not going to shut them out. The best we can expect our defense (or any defense) to do is slow them down, force some mistakes, and get a stop now and again. Though it sounds radical, and near blasphemous, we have to score more points than the other team.

I hope the Sonny-less TCU Offense really shines.

Froggish

If we've learned anything over the last few years its that pressure mounts on an offense when you are constantly behind. It would be nice to put that kind of pressure on an opposing offense. Trying to match 3 and outs is a fools game at this point.

Of our 6 wins this year, I believe all but OK St we were leading going into the lockers at Half....We were losing at half in every loss....If we get burred early we almost always lose. If you made your w/l prediction at half time over the last few years you'd be right 90% of the time.

Eight

If we've learned anything over the last few years its that pressure mounts on an offense when you are constantly behind. It would be nice to put that kind of pressure on an opposing offense. Trying to match 3 and outs is a fools game at this point.

Of our 6 wins this year, I believe all but OK St we were leading going into the lockers at Half....We were losing at half in every loss....If we get burred early we almost always lose. If you made your w/l prediction at half time over the last few years you'd be right 90% of the time.

this flies in the face of keep the game close until the fourth quarter and then lose it late line of thinking

Mean Purple

wheel routes bust on pretty much every defense. When Spurrier found a way to make it a two headed monster at UF, it was pretty much the norm after that. IF you have a tight end that can catch well, it is even worse.

Realtorfrog

All comes back to...... until the refs start calling holding on their fatties up front they will be successful! Tackle and lie on top of the D player is another tactic they use. And riley is going to cry until he gets his way with the league so that’s another thing you have to overcome.

Armadillo

tenor.gif