• The KillerFrogs

Fire Jeremiah Donati. Really. He needs to go.

researchfrog

This post evidences to Steel that you haven't done much research.

Rice and Northwestern and several other schools give a full scholly if you qualify for ANY financial aid, essentially. (Rice's is a bit more limited but if you can't pay, you prolly would qualify for full). These would be need-based awards. A&M gives full scholly to NM Finalists (Steel's daughter gets PAID extra money every semester). But who cares if it's need-based or academic scholly. There are many other options also. At any rate, why would you send your kid to TCU when he could go to a much better school? Probably for less money?

I explained it in another thread as much as I’m going to do so. I appreciate it, Steel. Your insights in this area over the years have been helpful and what you said is true, ceteris paribus, but that just ain’t true. All other things are not equal. It’s a different world from the one you come from.

Eight

This. This and what Maniac described are why I am going through the motions of seeing if TCU will come up with more financial aid. My son will go to UT-D for better than free and he'll be fine. Seems like TCU doesn't have much appetite for high performing middle class kids.

daughter made peace with no d-1 athletics as the only real thing she didn't have access, but she did have friends who opted to go to texas and she went to a few football games each year to get her big time athletics fix

she got her degree, had no debt, and banked money as an undergrad and paid for her masters in accounting. we saw her yesterday going out for a beer on st pat's day and she said she made the right choice where she went over texas and other options based upon where she is right now in her life in all aspects

steelfrog

Tier 1
I explained it in another thread as much as I’m going to do so. I appreciate it, Steel. Your insights in this area over the years have been helpful and what you said is true, ceteris paribus, but that just ain’t true. All other things are not equal. It’s a different world from the one you come from.

that’s a bit opaque.

I’d be interested to know what are the variables that you are dealing with?

ticketfrog123

that’s a bit opaque.

I’d be interested to know what are the variables that you are dealing with?

I don’t think his student actually got into Rice or Chicago looking at the post history.

something about sending the kid to UT-D bc of STEM undergrad, but he did acknowledge Chicago or Rice would be free.

personally, i don’t know anyone who graduated HS early but graduating college early thrusts you into the real world a bit too quick IMO.

Big Frog II

He did early action and met all the deadlines. Salutatorian, three-year high school grad, plenty of AP/dual-credit, 1560 SAT, and National Merit Finalist. Offered a Dean's Scholarship and $28k in loans each year. We don't make enough to pay tuition at schools like Chicago or Rice, but TCU admissions won't even return an email. Could've been a fourth gen frog.
A National Merit Finalist usually qualifies for a Chancellor scholarship. I know they only give out so many each year, but I would definitely ask. If not that a Provost scholarship.

researchfrog

UT-D has the most generous National Merit Finalist package in the US. They're using OU's old approach to get better students.

My son chose to apply only to local schools because..um...he's a relatively young Aspie and where one majors in math doesn't matter as much as in business. I'm sure COVID also plays a role.

You wouldn't be far off if you thought of my kid more like a TCU community scholar. His background isn't that far off. It's more than just socioeconomic. I pass. With my son, it is so attenuated that I'm not sure if "passing" is an appropriate concept. IYKYK.

Pharm Frog

I don’t think his student actually got into Rice or Chicago looking at the post history.

something about sending the kid to UT-D bc of STEM undergrad, but he did acknowledge Chicago or Rice would be free.

personally, i don’t know anyone who graduated HS early but graduating college early thrusts you into the real world a bit too quick IMO.

I know a bunch of kids who graduated high school early. At least 20 from just my daughter's "class" alone. It was a thing. Personally, I think that in the majority of these cases it spoke more to the low-caliber intensity of the high school education than it did gifted children advancing educationally at a rapid pace. There may have been one or two exceptions. My nephew is about to graduate high school a year early after summer school and he likely wouldn't rank in the top half of his class. At the risk of walking down that "In My Day" road, we may have one kid in my high school that could have mastered the material that was thrown at us and graduated early. And....he didn't graduate. Got his GED and moved on. I can see no possible way any of the rest of us could have mastered the curriculum that was thrown at us (especially junior and senior English, Trig/EA, Calculus, Government and Economics, Chem II, Spanish IV, and Physics) and graduated early. Some because they were quite difficult and others because the workload was prohibitive (eg: Senior English). Both of my children graduated high school near the top of their class and I bet I can count on one hand the number of "books" they read in all their subjects combined. They would have spent the rest of their lives in sophomore English had they done that where I went to high school or any of my father's schools at the time.