• The KillerFrogs

2021 Recruiting Thread

CountryFrog

don't believe he is a massive upgrade if sonny truly was not involved in the play calling this past year so if morris comes in does he take that from meacham? morris has never run an offense close to what kill has run so how does that marriage work for the frogs?

we can question sonny's role in the quarterback development, but which quarterback did morris develop at arkansas in his time there and how about nix at auburn.

what i would hope for is an offensive system that uses the talent in the program and shift the focus of the run game off max and on the backs who could be a strength if we actually realized it is legal to use more than one back at a time and stop focusing on midgets getting more touches than your backs
Certainly agree with the last paragraph. Kill exerting more influence is your best hope there I think.

I just don't see how Morris instead of Cumbie is not a huge upgrade regardless of the role he comes in for. It would probably be in some type of analyst role or maybe QB coach but I have no idea. I don't care what happened with Morris at Arkansas though because we're not talking about him being the HC here. Auburn would be slightly more relevant but ultimately Gus was the guy directing the offense at Auburn just as Gary does with the defense here so I don't think his time there matters a ton either. As far as Nix I just don't think he's a very good QB and I don't blame Morris for that because he's not the one who brought him in.

Ultimately a lot of our offensive success will depend on Max and how good he ends up being and who knows how that will turn out.

Bill Bozeat

don't believe he is a massive upgrade if sonny truly was not involved in the play calling this past year so if morris comes in does he take that from meacham? morris has never run an offense close to what kill has run so how does that marriage work for the frogs?

we can question sonny's role in the quarterback development, but which quarterback did morris develop at arkansas in his time there and how about nix at auburn.

what i would hope for is an offensive system that uses the talent in the program and shift the focus of the run game off max and on the backs who could be a strength if we actually realized it is legal to use more than one back at a time and stop focusing on midgets getting more touches than your backs
Was he not successful as OC at Clemson? Isnt that how he got into the HC carousel to start with
No sure being a first year offensive asst to Gus gives you anymore leeway than being 1st yr Defensive asst to Gary. So player regression aint your fault that fast

Eight

Certainly agree with the last paragraph. Kill exerting more influence is your best hope there I think.

I just don't see how Morris instead of Cumbie is not a huge upgrade regardless of the role he comes in for. It would probably be in some type of analyst role or maybe QB coach but I have no idea. I don't care what happened with Morris at Arkansas though because we're not talking about him being the HC here. Auburn would be slightly more relevant but ultimately Gus was the guy directing the offense at Auburn just as Gary does with the defense here so I don't think his time there matters a ton either. As far as Nix I just don't think he's a very good QB and I don't blame Morris for that because he's not the one who brought him in.

Ultimately a lot of our offensive success will depend on Max and how good he ends up being and who knows how that will turn out.

don't completely agree with your last paragraph.

granted, in the modern college game you have to have a quarterback who can be effective throwing the football, but with the offense the frogs are currently running they are primarily dependent upon max for success .

thing is, they don't have to run a scheme that is so dependent on one player and i don't understand how a defensive head coach would allow his offense to run a scheme that revolves around one player. sure would seem to me that an offense that attacks a defense in multiple ways with multiple players and exploits mismatches would be a great scheme to implement.

Eight

Was he not successful as OC at Clemson? Isnt that how he got into the HC carousel to start with
No sure being a first year offensive asst to Gus gives you anymore leeway than being 1st yr Defensive asst to Gary. So player regression aint your fault that fast

he did have success at clemson with the uptempo spread, but the biggest knock i have heard on morris is that he is still married to the same system and teams have a much better idea how to attack those schemes.

again, my problem is as much i don't want to see tcu continue to pine for 2014-15 again when defenses have adjusted and the strength of the offense potentially is the backs.

if he had shown a willingness to adjust his schemes at smu and arkansas i might be optimistic

PO Frog

he did have success at clemson with the uptempo spread, but the biggest knock i have heard on morris is that he is still married to the same system and teams have a much better idea how to attack those schemes.

again, my problem is as much i don't want to see tcu continue to pine for 2014-15 again when defenses have adjusted and the strength of the offense potentially is the backs.

if he had shown a willingness to adjust his schemes at smu and arkansas i might be optimistic
Clemson got better after he left. And he’s done nothing impressive offensively anywhere since.

Eight

Clemson got better after he left. And he’s done nothing impressive offensively anywhere since.

in all fairness to chad, a big part of that improvement on the offensive side of the ball was at the quarterback position

the guy is a beast
TWOGSIBEP4I6PNJCEZ7EL4LM6Q.jpg

PO Frog

in all fairness to chad, a big part of that improvement on the offensive side of the ball was at the quarterback position

the guy is a beast
TWOGSIBEP4I6PNJCEZ7EL4LM6Q.jpg
I get that but my point is that he isn’t some magician OC whose teams immediately regress the second he is gone.

CountryFrog

don't completely agree with your last paragraph.

granted, in the modern college game you have to have a quarterback who can be effective throwing the football, but with the offense the frogs are currently running they are primarily dependent upon max for success .

thing is, they don't have to run a scheme that is so dependent on one player and i don't understand how a defensive head coach would allow his offense to run a scheme that revolves around one player. sure would seem to me that an offense that attacks a defense in multiple ways with multiple players and exploits mismatches would be a great scheme to implement.
Again though you keep referring to the scheme and I don't disagree with that. I'm just in acceptance of the reality that there will be no significant schematic changes for at least another season. So with that the best we can hope for is Max to get more consistent with his accuracy and maybe some playcalling and personnel tweaks that maximize the personnel a little better such as playing fewer than 5 RB's every game.

CountryFrog

I get that but my point is that he isn’t some magician OC whose teams immediately regress the second he is gone.
I doubt anyone thinks he's a magician. There is some room between idiot who can't coach and genius. If he were a genius then he wouldn't have bounced around so much. Just think he can add some value to the staff in some type of roll.

And as to your comments about Clemson getting better after he left - Well, they also got better while he was there and he was a big part of the beginning of that upward momentum.

Eight

Again though you keep referring to the scheme and I don't disagree with that. I'm just in acceptance of the reality that there will be no significant schematic changes for at least another season. So with that the best we can hope for is Max to get more consistent with his accuracy and maybe some playcalling and personnel tweaks that maximize the personnel a little better such as playing fewer than 5 RB's every game.

i am still hoping for max to go rogue during the game and call his own plays like this great quarterback

tenor.gif

but i suspect that won't happen and we will be left wondering why evans only got 8 carries, johnston 3 targets, and some 5'6" walk on got 21 touches off the fly sweep, screens, and the wild frog

Pharm Frog

and? the texas oc is on the market and if we are going to stay with a spread system maybe some who has implemented a more modern version of the offense?

I really don’t care about the system as I do about improving execution and forcing defenses to adjust. I have no idea if his kid is any good but I read that he just entered the portal