• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Trio of Horned Frogs Receive Accolades

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
GoFrogs: TCU Football: Trio of Horned Frogs Receive Accolades

TCU quarterback Max Duggan, place-kicker Griffin Kell and safety La'Kendrick Van Zandt have received various honors for their performances in Saturday's 33-31 win at Texas.

Duggan was selected to the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award Great 8 list and as a Manning Award Star of the Week. The sophomore from Council Bluffs, Iowa, completed 20-of-30 passes for 231 yards while adding a team-high 79 yards rushing on 17 carries and two touchdowns, including the go-ahead score on a 26-yard keeper with 4:01 to play.

Additionally, Duggan was added to the Davey O'Brien Award Midseason Watch List.

Kell is the Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week and a Lou Groza Award Star of the Week after making all four of his field-goal attempts (27, 32, 49 and 28 yards). He also had three PATs to give him 15 kick scoring points, tying for the ninth best single-game total in TCU history.

Van Zandt is the Big 12 Co-Defensive Player of the Week. He made a potentially game-saving tackle when he caught a Texas player from behind who was racing to the end zone. Two plays later, the Horned Frogs forced a turnover to help preserve the victory. Van Zandt totaled a team-high and career-best seven tackles, including one for a loss, while adding an interception and 37-yard return to set up a TCU score.

stbrab

GoFrogs: TCU Football: Trio of Horned Frogs Receive Accolades

TCU quarterback Max Duggan, place-kicker Griffin Kell and safety La'Kendrick Van Zandt have received various honors for their performances in Saturday's 33-31 win at Texas.

Duggan was selected to the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award Great 8 list and as a Manning Award Star of the Week. The sophomore from Council Bluffs, Iowa, completed 20-of-30 passes for 231 yards while adding a team-high 79 yards rushing on 17 carries and two touchdowns, including the go-ahead score on a 26-yard keeper with 4:01 to play.

Additionally, Duggan was added to the Davey O'Brien Award Midseason Watch List.

Kell is the Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week and a Lou Groza Award Star of the Week after making all four of his field-goal attempts (27, 32, 49 and 28 yards). He also had three PATs to give him 15 kick scoring points, tying for the ninth best single-game total in TCU history.

Van Zandt is the Big 12 Co-Defensive Player of the Week. He made a potentially game-saving tackle when he caught a Texas player from behind who was racing to the end zone. Two plays later, the Horned Frogs forced a turnover to help preserve the victory. Van Zandt totaled a team-high and career-best seven tackles, including one for a loss, while adding an interception and 37-yard return to set up a TCU score.
All are deserving...great job!

2themax

Really excited about the secondary.
Only concern is Washington having to cover oversized receivers.
I guess everyone knows now that they can't count on targeting Van Zandt.
3 outstanding safeties on the field at the same time.
Noah Daniels is impressive and I like the aggressive style of play at cb.
Defense looked better, but still waiting on the qb pressure/sacks to factor in.
Very impressive young players at the skill positions on offense.
Duggan looks like a completely different player. That's huge.
Just gotta wait on the run blocking to get a tad better as it has improved.
Very young and very talented group GP has right now.
Got me looking forward to Saturdays again.

Eight

why on van zandt?

he got exposed a number of times by texas and between he and the linebackers tcu hasn't shown they can consistently cover the inside routes

heck, on more than one play tcu had players collide trying to cover crossing routes

Wexahu

Based on what I've seen I can't figure out which of the running backs look the best. They all look good. I know Kendre Miller wasn't as flashy a recruit as the others, but IMO he looks just as good as anyone else so far. Would like to see Evans more just to see what he can do but we are in good shape at RB with Foster, Barlow and Miller.

Disagree on Van Zandt. Absolute freak athlete but he gets lost out there a lot.

Kell has rapidly developed into an effective offensive weapon...given the consistency, accuracy,

and range of his field goal performances. There is still ample room for additional improvement

since he is listed as a sophomore.