• The KillerFrogs

ESPN: Why now is the time to reconsider college conference realignment

As usual MOOSE has no clue what he is talking about. Sound familiar ? He does this all the time. Brian dead posts. Just for the MACAROON's benefit I will explain this to the embarrassingly uninformed yokel (I had no idea MOOSE was this ignorant):

1) Formal offers (to any conference) are not made unless the conference already knows it would be accepted.

2) To formally offer a school to join your conference and then to have them turn it down flat would be a public relations nightmare for the inviting conference and would result in the Conf Commissioner being fired.

3) No B10 or Pac12 team is currently interested. They don't want to hear from the B12. They aint interested !! Get it now MOOSE ? They aint interested....at all !! You don't "go after" someone who isn't interested !! Waste of time, effort and the potential public relations nightmare would be daunting.

4) Anyone who thinks NEBRASKA and IOWA will leave the B10.....ever...... is dumber than dirt. No team is giving up $50 million a year to take a $10 million dollar a year paycut to re-join a conference they hated.

5) The ARIZONA schools aint interested in B12. They do all their recruiting in California.

B12 has to wait till a school calls them. B12 cannot pursue them or STUPIDLY offer them membership. Looks bad and looks desperate and is a waste of time until they are fully interested, which THEY ARE NOT !!

Cant hardly believe someone is so uninformed to think that you just run out there and offer a membership to a team who doesn't want it. Good way to make your conference look like a laughingstock.

Gotta wait till they call you begging to get in, then you can offer. You don't run out there like little NINNIES, inviting people to your conference.

Assuming any of them had interest (which is a big assumption) the two most logical to me are Nebraska and Iowa. I'm not trying to say I think there are teams looking to leave the Big 10. I'm just saying you don't know if you don't try and there's isn't a better time to try than now.

Last edited:

Atomic Frawg

I'd rather have UCF and USF over the Arizona schools. They have good markets, good destinations, and they are good places to visit for games. They would also open up Florida and SEC recruiting to us even more than we get from The Boot. Plus you lose eyeballs playing further west because of the time zones. I know, I know...I'm crazy and silly and all that, but since we are all talking out our butts ...

Dman890

Delconte needs to be having informal discussions with Nebraska right now. Deloss and Texas were the reason they left, but CDC has was it takes to repair that.

Money is most of it, but winning and culture matters. And Nebraska ain’t winning [ Finebaum ] in the big 10 with their recruiting options.

Last edited by a moderator:

ticketfrog123

Delconte needs to be having informal discussions with Nebraska right now. Deloss and Texas were the reason they left, but CDC has was it takes to repair that.

Money is most of it, but winning and culture matters. And Nebraska ain’t winning [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] in the big 10 with their recruiting options.

Post of the year?

“Oh, Chris Deliconti called? Yeah we’re definitely rejoining the B12 now”

Wexahu

Money is most of it, but winning and culture matters. And Nebraska ain’t winning [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] in the big 10 with their recruiting options.

I think academic prestige plays a role too but Nebraska is the one school that could maybe be talked into bailing, but I seriously doubt it. I don’t think Nebraska would win [ Finebaum ] no matter what conference they were in, that ship probably sailed 15-20 years ago.

No way any of the others B10 school could be plucked IMO

Eight

good idea - let’s drop wvu because they are too far away and add multiple schools that are also far away. in your defense, Utah is about 15 miles closer to FW compared to Morgantown.

obviously not geography frog because if you add urah and colorado which are near kansas and others in the big 12

how many states are between west virginia and texas? oklahoma? kansas? Iowa?

Eight

I'd rather have UCF and USF over the Arizona schools. They have good markets, good destinations, and they are good places to visit for games. They would also open up Florida and SEC recruiting to us even more than we get from The Boot. Plus you lose eyeballs playing further west because of the time zones. I know, I know...I'm crazy and silly and all that, but since we are all talking out our butts ...

why go into an over crowded market when the as schools not only give you access to the phoenix area which has a great deal of talent with so cal and the sec, big ten, texas, and ou are pulling talent from their because of the weakness of the pac

HG73

As usual MOOSE has no clue what he is talking about. Sound familiar ? He does this all the time. Brian dead posts. Just for the MACAROON's benefit I will explain this to the embarrassingly uninformed yokel (I had no idea MOOSE was this ignorant):

1) Formal offers (to any conference) are not made unless the conference already knows it would be accepted.

2) To formally offer a school to join your conference and then to have them turn it down flat would be a public relations nightmare for the inviting conference and would result in the Conf Commissioner being fired.

3) No B10 or Pac12 team is currently interested. They don't want to hear from the B12. They aint interested !! Get it now MOOSE ? They aint interested....at all !! You don't "go after" someone who isn't interested !! Waste of time, effort and the potential public relations nightmare would be daunting.

4) Anyone who thinks NEBRASKA and IOWA will leave the B10.....ever...... is dumber than dirt. No team is giving up $50 million a year to take a $10 million dollar a year paycut to re-join a conference they hated.

5) The ARIZONA schools aint interested in B12. They do all their recruiting in California.

B12 has to wait till a school calls them. B12 cannot pursue them or STUPIDLY offer them membership. Looks bad and looks desperate and is a waste of time until they are fully interested, which THEY ARE NOT !!

Cant hardly believe someone is so uninformed to think that you just run out there and offer a membership to a team who doesn't want it. Good way to make your conference look like a laughingstock.

Gotta wait till they call you begging to get in, then you can offer. You don't run out there like little NINNIES, inviting people to your conference.
Agree with you on #1. But there are a lot of backroom negotiations before any offer is made. Makes no difference who makes the initial call. Most of the time the TV suits make the initial contacts. If TV doesn't like the deal it's going nowhere.

HG73

Here's an idea. Poach Colorado. Now Big12 and PAC have 11 teams each.

Both conferences play an 8 game schedule each. No conference championship games. Each conference crowns a champion or co-champions or tri-champions or whatever.

The week everyone else is playing their conference championship games, the PAC champs and the Big12 champs play for the Western Championship. Have it in Vegas. Or rotate between the Rose Bowl and Jerryworld.

Then play the bowl season/CFP just like we do now.

What a huge game. Instead of an often meaningless conference championship game matching a strong division champ against a weaker division champ, you have a game for the championship of half the country.

That game would generate a ton of money to help offset the disparity between the Big12 and the Big10/SEC.

FinanceFrog

obviously not geography frog because if you add urah and colorado which are near kansas and others in the big 12

how many states are between west virginia and texas? oklahoma? kansas? Iowa?

good example by using Kansas - WVU campus is actually closer to Lawrence than Utah’s campus. but that seems to be besides the point because rather than looking at distance you are counting states? seems reasonable.

WyomingFrog is the biggest troll, but I'll agree with him here, Big 12 won't be able to pull in a team from the Big 10 or Pac-12. Not because of interest but more those conferences are not going to allow themselves to get pouched. And UT and OU do not want to close doors to those conferences and the sponsors that support those conferences like Nike.

Big 12 has a conference commissioner that came from the Pac. He isn’t an aggressor he is a leader who is maintaining the status quo. Doing what is good for OU and UT.

I think TCU should remember the past of the SWC and be ready for if OU and UT decide to move on. And TCU needs to be prepared to make moves alone, and might have to make moves before OU and UT does. Cause OU and UT are only looking out for themselves not Big 12. If OU and UT want to make Big 12 strong then they have the power to go all in and unite Big 12. A new grants of rights contract and a Big 12 network would be that union. If that is not already in discussions than TCU better be ready.

HG73

Not sure how a conference doesn't allow a team to be poached when that conference (PAC) has the worst TV deal, virtually no tier 3 money and ISN'T EVEN PLAYING THIS YEAR. AT ALL.

History is a very harsh judge. This will all play out fairly quickly. IF the other three P5 conferences play their seasons then there will be massive lawsuits against the PAC and Big10.

If the other P5 conferences don't play but the high schools in those areas do play then there will be massive lawsuits. These lawsuits will dwarf any lawsuits by parents of the very few players infected that develop serious conditions or die.

Schools will sue the conference. Parents will sue the schools and the conference. Local businesses will sue the schools and the conference. Local communities will sue the schools and the conference for lost tax revenue. Hell the networks may even sue the conferences for lost income.

Test everybody. Let the players opt out if they want. Make the players who do play sign a waiver. But play the season, even if it's at empty or half full stadiums.

The only way this season is not a lawyer's dream is if nobody plays. If any league, NFL, CFL, college, high schools play a successful season those that don't will get sued into bankruptcy. There's just too much money involved.

Last edited: