• The KillerFrogs

WEEK 7 - Other Games Thread

Pharm Frog

I think if you took a poll of the forum the majority of responses wild be that this team has more than enough talent to be a good football team.

Maybe so. Just haven’t seen “the talent” do much to justify the label “talented”. Seen talented speed lollygag and go through the motions. Seen strength play passively. Seen seniors demonstrating a lack of learning by being victimized by same or similar plays. Maybe we have a lot of athleticism and maybe it will show up at some point but I’ve seen little evidence of it to this point.

Personally, I think we look like we have the talent to finish about where we did last year.

4th. down

Maybe so. Just haven’t seen “the talent” do much to justify the label “talented”. Seen talented speed lollygag and go through the motions. Seen strength play passively. Seen seniors demonstrating a lack of learning by being victimized by same or similar plays. Maybe we have a lot of athleticism and maybe it will show up at some point but I’ve seen little evidence of it to this point.

Personally, I think we look like we have the talent to finish about where we did last year.

But........you gotta look at the coaching. Take the OU defense for instance - against a good team, 9 sacks which just happens to be the same number we have for the season. We all saw how the OU defense played with leverage, quickness, and speed - it was just like an old TCU defense - aggressive and with an attitude like we put on TT that year in the Carter in the 12-6 game. That's the old GP defense, but where is it now? Talent, yes, we don't have it at DE, but the rest of the defense should be solid, but it isn't.

Froggish

We could always do better but we have as much talent as anyone outside it UT/OU...I’m concerned we have become dated and predictable on both sides of the ball...GP is still sharp but it seems like OCs have figured him out...We just look like a program without much upside.

Pharm Frog

But........you gotta look at the coaching. Take the OU defense for instance - against a good team, 9 sacks which just happens to be the same number we have for the season. We all saw how the OU defense played with leverage, quickness, and speed - it was just like an old TCU defense - aggressive and with an attitude like we put on TT that year in the Carter in the 12-6 game. That's the old GP defense, but where is it now? Talent, yes, we don't have it at DE, but the rest of the defense should be solid, but it isn't.

maybe we don’t have “the talent” to be “that old GP defense”. I figure we’re not that far off though in our opinion because I count coachability, smarts, instincts, motor, and such almost as much as I do size, speed, strength when it comes to being a “talent”.

Billy Clyde

SIAP, but the Iowa unis tonight. . . IDK if that's a throwback, or a completely new design but those are the best-looking football togs I've seen in years.

Moose Stuff

You wrote things like lollygag, passively, and lack of learning ..... none of that has anything to do with talent. You described effort and aptitude (which also infers coaching). I agree we lack the needed levels of all three of those things right now.

Pharm Frog

You wrote things like lollygag, passively, and lack of learning ..... none of that has anything to do with talent. You described effort and aptitude (which also infers coaching). I agree we lack the needed levels of all three of those things right now.

I absolutely believe motor, instincts, growth, maturity, applied intellect, etc are elements of “talent”.

EDIT: And I know “coachability” can be completely separate from coaching. Even the best coaches can have kids that won’t be coached up. That said...can’t say I’m at all impressed with our coaching (at least the part we can see). Of course the corollary is always that the “coach” gets to recruit his players so it’s clear who’s most accountable

Chongo94

Could just be BYE week paranoias but the more football I’ve watched today the worse I feel about our football team.

I feel like a bunch of teams have figured out a bunch of things that we haven’t. Maybe it’s just going into a bye with a loss but I feel like we are bottom half P5 team right now

It may have been Wex that said it, can’t remember, but anyway, someone said we just make everything look so damn difficult. I feel like that sums up things perfectly.