• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Patterson is ‘not OK’ with growing pains of young QB. So how will the Frogs adjust?

Moose Stuff

Fair enough, but I tend to discount stats somewhat after you fall behind by more than a couple scores. The Cowboys raked up over 560 yards of offense yesterday. Do you think the offense had a good game?

When the game was in the balance and it really mattered they couldn't get it done. That's the important thing.

Do you think their defense had a good game?

Moose Stuff

In the first half, Max has been bad - very bad - in two of the last three games. He is not doing what the coaches want because he turned the ball over several times. Now, he has been good in the second half when the Frogs have to throw, throw and go up tempo.

The question is why can't SC/GP get Max and the offense going int he first half. It is a million dollar ? Sonny has to solve.

Turned the ball over several times..... the hell????

LVH

GPs defense has sucked...Period

At the same time the game has evolved a battle of offenses..Defenses are facing more plays than ever before in the history of football. Rules continually favor the offensive side of the ball. Expectations must change in regard to what a good defense looks like....AND an offense must be able to take pressure off of defenses. An offense must do it’s part because Offenses don’t get scored on..They have to put up points and possess the ball. Simple really...more bad things can happen with your defense on the field then your offense..

The defense has sucked...Period...But if you give TCU an offense that starts fast (scores early), and protects the ball (limits TOs), I bet we are talking about GPs defense much differently.

Over the past few years, our defense has always played its worst when the team falls behind.

Our defense plays so much better from ahead for some reason.

tetonfrog

I’m not putting him down for 2 against SMU. Either way, his issue in the first half of games has not been turning it over. The issue has been inability to complete passes, sustain drives, and score points and I’m putting just as much of that on the coaches as I am on him.

So, in other words, that is not how the coaches want him to play. That was the comment I responded to. You agree, right?

Froggish

Over the past few years, our defense has always played its worst when the team falls behind.

Went to the lockers down 2 scores to SMU and 3 scores to ISU..Digging holes

CountryFrog

Or maybe it's just that when we have a really good defense then we're not behind very often.

jake102

I like Duggan a lot, think his future is very bright. But I do think his stats are a little inflated... both SMU and Iowa State stopped pressing as much late in games with big lead. If those big second half stats had resulted in comeback wins, I’d feel a little different but they haven’t.

There’s clearly something going on with him during the 1H of games. Maybe it’s just being a FR

I’m the smallest bit worried he has underlying accuracy issues. Hope not the case. He seems to do the hard things well (going through reads, sliding in the pocket, proper footwork, stepping up in pocket) and struggles on the easier things.

Moose Stuff

So, in other words, that is not how the coaches want him to play. That was the comment I responded to. You agree, right?

Yes, I think everyone would agree that fumbles are bad. I’d also prefer that our OC not call the play that led to the fumble in Ames and that the OL not give up the sack. First half fumbles are a VERY secondary reason for our struggles vs SMU and ISU.

Wexahu

Do you think their defense had a good game?

Dallas' defense? Heck no, they were bad. Not sure I understand the question.

I thought Iowa State's defense was good. Gave up 3 points in the first quarter and scored 7 of their own, by any measure that's good. Didn't start giving up yards and points until they were out to a big lead, which isn't all that unusual in football when opponents are in desperation mode trying to catch up.

Moose Stuff

Dallas' defense? Heck no, they were bad. Not sure I understand the question.

I thought Iowa State's defense was good. Gave up 3 points in the first quarter and scored 7 of their own, by any measure that's good. Didn't start giving up yards and points until they were out to a big lead, which isn't all that unusual in football when opponents are in desperation mode trying to catch up.

I’m saying as whole the Dallas offense and the TCU offense played well enough to give their team a chance to win. Both teams lost because their defense was as bad or worse than their offense. Hell we scored 3 more points in the first half and 1 more overall than Baylor did and they still beat ISU.

StinnettFrog

We need a consistent pass rush and have to be willing to switch up the defense. QB runs were killing us the entire game on the same exact play. I just don’t get why we didn’t at least adjust to that

Wexahu

I’m saying as whole the Dallas offense and the TCU offense played well enough to give their team a chance to win. Both teams lost because their defense was as bad or worse than their offense. Hell we scored 3 more points in the first half and 1 more overall than Baylor did and they still beat ISU.

I respectfully disagree. You don't score 3 points in the first half (and -4 in the case of TCU) and then say you played well enough to win and the defense cost you the game. I think that's way too simplistic and putting way too much emphasis on offensive production that was only generated once the team was way down. No way of knowing how the defense would've played had our offense been able to do something in the first half. The defense did stop ISU on 4 of their first 6 possessions. Meanwhile our offense took advantage of that by going

punt
FG
fumble TD
punt
punt
missed FG
punt

Offense generates -4 points in their first 7 possessions and they played well enough to win the game? Nope, not buying that.

Moose Stuff

I respectfully disagree. You don't score 3 points in the first half (and -4 in the case of TCU) and then say you played well enough to win and the defense cost you the game. I think that's way too simplistic and putting way too much emphasis on offensive production that was only generated once the team was way down. No way of knowing how the defense would've played had our offense been able to do something in the first half. The defense did stop ISU on 4 of their first 6 possessions. Meanwhile our offense took advantage of that by going

punt
FG
fumble TD
punt
punt
missed FG
punt

Offense generates -4 points in their first 7 possessions and they played well enough to win the game? Nope, not buying that.

I didn’t say the defense cost us the game. But I will fully stand by my comment that the offense did enough to give us a CHANCE to win the game had our calling card defense shown up. Four games this weekend involving top 25 teams were won by a team scoring 24 or less, 2 by teams scoring less than 20, and again Baylor was shut out for 3 quarters by ISU and still won the previous week. Our calling card for 20 years has been defense and we pay our HC an obscene amount of money to run it, so I expect EXPONENTIALLY more from them than I do the offense.

Wexahu

I didn’t say the defense cost us the game. But I will fully stand by my comment that the offense did enough to give us a CHANCE to win the game had our calling card defense shown up. Four games this weekend involving top 25 teams were won by a team scoring 24 or less, 2 by teams scoring less than 20, and again Baylor was shut out for 3 quarters by ISU and still won the previous week. Our calling card for 20 years has been defense and we pay our HC an obscene amount of money to run it, so I expect EXPONENTIALLY more from them than I do the offense.

Fair enough. I can tell from reading most posts that the bar and expectation level for the offense is very, very low, which is fine if that's the way everyone feels. I was somewhat encouraged by the offense in the 2nd half but good god, when is the last time the offense actually won a game for us?

That they can go the first seven possessions and come away with -4 points and that's still considered "giving the team a chance to win" speaks volumes.

McGregor's Goat

I think TCU has one of the most improved offenses in the country compared to 2018. Not that our offense is great right now, but it was horrendous in 2018. I don't think that Duggan is already "good" in an absolute sense, but I do think he is good for a true freshman who has thrown 113 passes in his career, and clearly has the talent to become really good.

In the big picture, I think GP is an amazing coach who worked a miracle at TCU, for which I will always be grateful. So hopefully I can say that and simultaneously believe that (1) His defense was awful and looked unprepared in our two losses this year, (2) He blundered badly in signing Alex Delton, who seems like a fine young man whose only shortcoming is he's bad at throwing footballs to other football players, and (3) GP has been conducting himself in an annoying manner in his public statements and sideline demeanor, even by his quirky standards.