• The KillerFrogs

Tech football loses QB Alan Bowman for 6-8 weeks

TCUdirtbag

Asked a tech buddy a few weeks ago if he liked the new hire and thoughts on upcoming football season. He smiled big and said “who cares, we’re a basketball and baseball school.”

Easy to say on the heels of their spring, but this is the State of Texas, and football is king.

They’ve never had much success in men’s sports. Baseball is a niche sport in college athletics. Men’s basketball will always take a back seat to football, especially in Texas. Beard may be good enough to make them regulars in the second weekend, but their fans don’t appreciate how hard advancing past the sweet 16 is after a quick flash of success. Reality of the tournament will set in, and they’ll grow anxious for—you know—actual recognized athletic success. AKA football.

netty2424

Easy to say on the heels of their spring, but this is the State of Texas, and football is king.

They’ve never had much success in men’s sports. Baseball is a niche sport in college athletics. Men’s basketball will always take a back seat to football, especially in Texas. Beard may be good enough to make them regulars in the second weekend, but their fans don’t appreciate how hard advancing past the sweet 16 is after a quick flash of success. Reality of the tournament will set in, and they’ll grow anxious for—you know—actual recognized athletic success. AKA football.
Agree completely. And so does he.

His smile before answering was the true answer. The rest was just a little gamesmanship.

mesohornedfrog

Dang...Red Raider fans over on their 247 board are really taking a dump on Wells..Guys is 3 games into his career and they are roasting him...Talk about irrational
Buddy of mine (Tech grad) posted something head scratching on twitter after the AZ loss. Saying in short, I hope fans have patience, because we were promised a "reload, not a rebuild." Since I like the guy, I didn't want to be a dick, buttttttt, looks like you're reloading just fine, to six wins.

netty2424

Talented kid. Looks like he may end up with an injury plagued college career. Reminds me of a certain defensive end on our roster.

Purp

The last two home games in particular have been hard to stomach.
Every game you lose because of your own mistakes rather than the opponent's superiority is really hard to stomach. When it happens against TT I leave AGCS feeling lower than a fat dachshund's balls. About the only way I think it could get worse is if it happened to baylor. But even then, I'm not sure.

TechAdvisor

At this point, I just hope to see one football season with a starting QB healthy for 12 games. It's been a long time. That's the only football wish for my team.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
At this point, I just hope to see one football season with a starting QB healthy for 12 games. It's been a long time. That's the only football wish for my team.
It seems to me that when TCU switched from grass to plastic turf back in the mid-70s, we went over 10 seasons with a different QB finishing the season than the one who started it. Maybe someone has more accurate info on that.

TechAdvisor

You had Pat Mahomes healthy for a full season and went 5-7. The best QB on the planet. 5 wins. How pathetic must everyone else on that team have been?

Wasn't a single season at Texas Tech Mahomes was healthy. He got knocked out of the UT game his Freshman season, suffered a separate shoulder his Sophomore season, broke his wrist and sprained his knee his Junior season. It was just that Mahomes at 60% was better than any other QB at 100%, so Tech rolled with him at 60%. I'm glad to see him finally get to play at 100% and light it up in the NFL.

It seems to me that when TCU switched from grass to plastic turf back in the mid-70s, we went over 10 seasons with a different QB finishing the season than the one who started it. Maybe someone has more accurate info on that.

Leach was at Tech for 10 seasons and only twice did he ever have a QB miss a start due to injury. Then Kingsbury came in and I think he went one season with a fully healthy QB in Shimonek. Now Wells QB is out for at least half the season but his QB was injured on the road. Not sure all that adds up to a turf issue. Just a good run of bad luck. It's sports, it happens.

CountryFrog

Wasn't a single season at Texas Tech Mahomes was healthy. He got knocked out of the UT game his Freshman season, suffered a separate shoulder his Sophomore season, broke his wrist and sprained his knee his Junior season. It was just that Mahomes at 60% was better than any other QB at 100%, so Tech rolled with him at 60%. I'm glad to see him finally get to play at 100% and light it up in the NFL.

Leach was at Tech for 10 seasons and only twice did he ever have a QB miss a start due to injury. Then Kingsbury came in and I think he went one season with a fully healthy QB in Shimonek. Now Wells QB is out for at least half the season but his QB was injured on the road. Not sure all that adds up to a turf issue. Just a good run of bad luck. It's sports, it happens.
Oh my bad. Mahomes played every game but he was always super injured. You're right, Tech has just been a healthy QB away from winning the Big 12 for the last 8 years. Damn the luck.