• The KillerFrogs

ESPN take on TCU vs Purdue

Wexahu

Exactly my thought. Overpowering us with the run game is the least of my worries when we play UT.

LB size is way overrated, IMO. How often are our LB’s struggling to tackle RB’s due to size? I can’t think of any situations.

LB speed is not overrated though. We face way more speedy RBs and interior receivers in the Big 12 than we do Jerome Bettis types.

And yes, I realize a big part of playing LB is shedding blocks from linemen and fullbacks getting to the 2nd level, but agility plays into that as well. It’s not all about pure strength.

It's overrated against spread offenses that are passing oriented and are generally trying to get their guys in space. I don't think it's all that overrated against teams with a 230 lb bull of a QB and a north-south physical mentality.

CountryFrog

Boykin was a good player, I don't think you understand the point I'm making. He was a guy who just went out and played on instinct. We spread the field, gave him space to move around, and let him play. Just like what I think A&M did with Manziel. It worked great, but QB coaching/development had little to do with it IMO, that is all I'm saying. Put another way, in the same way I don't think Coach Luper and Burns had a whole lot to do with Josh Doctson becoming an All-American, I don't think Cumbie and Meacham were all that instrumental in Boykin's development, other than they ran the style of offense that suited his skills.

When he entered the NFL he was raw as hell in terms of fundamentals of the QB position.
I'm not sure anyone understands the point you're trying to make with Boykin given the fact he's one of the top 3 or 4 QB's in TCU history. You called him unpolished and that his time here felt like blind luck. Blind luck all the way to a 23-3 record in 2 seasons. And your point is that he was just coaching himself I guess. You can't point to players who were failures as proof of poor coaching AND point to players who were massively successful and say that they're also proof of poor coaching.

Last edited:

Wexahu

I'm not sure anyone understands the point you're trying to make with Boykin given the fact he's one of the top 3 or 4 QB's in TCU history. You called him unpolished and that his time here felt like blind luck. Blind luck all the way to a 23-3 record in 2 seasons. And your point is that he was just coaching himself I guess. You can't point to players who were failures as proof of poor coaching AND point to players who were massively successful and say that they're also proof of poor coaching.

OK, let's just agree to disagree about Boykin. I think our overall track record in developing QBs as of late has been very poor, bordering on awful. I'll leave it at that.

Eight

With Ehlinger at QB they don't really need much else. One thing I noticed is all of their running backs, you can tell they are coached hard to go north-south and lunge forward for an extra yard or two when they are getting tackled. That 19-yard play drive to start the 2nd half the other night is the epitome of what they want to do. Just slowly wear you down. They don't put themselves in 2nd or 3rd and long situations and they are damn hard to stop on 3rd down, that is what concerns me. Seems like they are constantly in 2nd and 5.

they very much need help at running back because sam won't last the year with a similar work load.

the problem is keontay is hurt worse than many realize and he is very very limited, young might be back in a few weeks, whittington's problem with the sports hernia has been a recurring problem and i wouldn't be surprised he misses the season

add a legit running back to that offense and they would be a sob to stop.

Limp Lizard

TT every year under Kingbury and Oky State has at least a good offense. A QB comes and goes, another takes his place. Under this system we should not have the down years we are having. Either that or every year certain schools have THE QB OF A LIFETIME that some assume Boykin was. He was very good in a good offensive team. Every year our defense is at least good and considering how miserable the offenses were in 2012-2013, 2016 and 2018 it is amazing the defense was in the top 100.

We are at the point where we should expect at least a good offense, too. Not a horrid on, especially since the defense gets them the ball more often than most defenses.

BigDataFrog

Boykin was good, yes. He was a very good QB. But we have as good or better talent now. But not that good. Mahomes, Mayfield, Murray, etc. (even RGIII) were better college QBs. His talent was not that extraordinary is shown by is success in the NFL. He could not throw intermediate passes, especially over the middle, although he admitted it and worked on it with little improvement (wonder now how much of that was coaching). He was often inaccurate, but players like Doctson would snag bad throws. He was very good at keeping the play alive and making the offense score. Which is what counts. As are several QB's every year. Every year Oky St eventually has a good QB, same with Tech under Kingsbury, and so on. Out offense apparently has great playmakers but we have trouble throwing the pall to them. Lots of true Freshmen do quite well every year. So, no excuses for the offense this year. It is all in Cumbie's lap. Quit blaming the talent because it is there.

Just from a numbers perspective Boykin was on par with Mahomes and RG3 for their college careers.

TDs responsible for: Boykin 114, Mahomes 115, RG3 111
QBR for final 2 college seasons: Boykin 152.9, RG3 165.5, Mahomes 152.2

In addition Boykin and RG3 both had more than 2000 career rushing yards while Mahomes had around 900.

Mayfield may have been a significantly better college QB than Boykin but I think Mahomes, Boykin, and RG3 had pretty similar college careers.

TX_Krötenechse

If you are saying we are and will continue to be a second tier program below OU and UT that is certainly not acceptable to me or to most Frog fans. Remember GP has stated that the national championship is a real objective. If not, then we need to change his pyramid and he needs to stop telling us how good his recruiting classes are, that the recruiting rankings are just nonsense for the fans. If we will never be able to compete for the national championship then the whole program needs evaluating. Of just be like Baylor and Tech and put our money into Track, basketball, soccer, baseball and sports we have a chance to be really good in.
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but realistically there about about 10-15 programs in the country that can realistically compete for a national championship in any given year, and TCU isn’t one of them. Lightning can theoretically strike from outside that group, but it hasn’t happened in 20+ years. In the BCS and CFP era, only 11 programs have won championships - that’s in 22 years. If you go back to 1988, you can add 6 more if you include all co-champions. 1990 when Colorado and GT were co-champions or 1991 when Washington was a co-champion were the last time that any school that isn’t a blue blood has won the championship. Florida and Nebraska won quite a few of those, too, and it’s hard to see either of them repeating at the moment.

All this to say ... if you only focus on the championship, then you picked the wrong team to follow. Because while in 2014 and 2010 I firmly believe we could’ve won the natty, we didn’t get the chance, and I don’t know if lightning can strike three times.

Froggish

Just from a numbers perspective Boykin was on par with Mahomes and RG3 for their college careers.

TDs responsible for: Boykin 114, Mahomes 115, RG3 111
QBR for final 2 college seasons: Boykin 152.9, RG3 165.5, Mahomes 152.2

In addition Boykin and RG3 both had more than 2000 career rushing yards while Mahomes had around 900.

Mayfield may have been a significantly better college QB than Boykin but I think Mahomes, Boykin, and RG3 had pretty similar college careers.

Stats obviously don't tell the whole story and offensive schemes can certainly mask the physical and congnitive abilities of a QB. I thought Boykin was a very good college QB who was made great by the system he was in...Mahomes and RG3 put up massive numbers that in the end didn't lead to all that much on filed success...The line between being a good QB doesn't necessarily follow the trajectory of a stat line.

We are about to face a QB that has already thrown 8-10 TDs in 2 games...That guy is 1-1 with a loss to Nevada

BigDataFrog

Stats obviously don't tell the whole story and offensive schemes can certainly mask the physical and congnitive abilities of a QB. I thought Boykin was a very good college QB who was made great by the system he was in...Mahomes and RG3 put up massive numbers that in the end didn't lead to all that much on filed success...The line between being a good QB doesn't necessarily follow the trajectory of a stat line.

We are about to face a QB that has already thrown 8-10 TDs in 2 games...That guy is 1-1 with a loss to Nevada

No doubt stats don't tell the whole story but QBR does a pretty good job measuring a QBs overall performance (which Boykin was pretty similar to Mahomes/RG3) and Sindelar has a career 128 QBR.

Anyone can say that RG3 and Mahomes were better college QBs than Boykin but numbers are the only way we have to objectively compare them. And stats wise Boykin is on par with those guys. Also I don't think anyone would say Boykin system was any more QB friendly than RG3 or Mahomes system.

Also football is such a team oriented game I think the QBs winning % has a lot less to do with how good a college QB someone is than their QBR.

SuperBarrFrog

No doubt stats don't tell the whole story but QBR does a pretty good job measuring a QBs overall performance (which Boykin was pretty similar to Mahomes/RG3) and Sindelar has a career 128 QBR.

Anyone can say that RG3 and Mahomes were better college QBs than Boykin but numbers are the only way we have to objectively compare them. And stats wise Boykin is on par with those guys. Also I don't think anyone would say Boykin system was any more QB friendly than RG3 or Mahomes system.

Also football is such a team oriented game I think the QBs winning % has a lot less to do with how good a college QB someone is than their QBR.

Boykin was maybe my favorite player to ever watch at TCU and was awesome. After the tortilla tip game I came away thinking “our guy is amazing, but that tech QB is even better.”

Wexahu

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but realistically there about about 10-15 programs in the country that can realistically compete for a national championship in any given year, and TCU isn’t one of them. Lightning can theoretically strike from outside that group, but it hasn’t happened in 20+ years. In the BCS and CFP era, only 11 programs have won championships - that’s in 22 years. If you go back to 1988, you can add 6 more if you include all co-champions. 1990 when Colorado and GT were co-champions or 1991 when Washington was a co-champion were the last time that any school that isn’t a blue blood has won the championship. Florida and Nebraska won quite a few of those, too, and it’s hard to see either of them repeating at the moment.

All this to say ... if you only focus on the championship, then you picked the wrong team to follow. Because while in 2014 and 2010 I firmly believe we could’ve won the natty, we didn’t get the chance, and I don’t know if lightning can strike three times.

We honestly had a much better chance under the old format. We finished 2nd or 3rd in the country one year having only played a few P5 teams, that could never happen now. Now, to win a national title you have to lose one game at most in the regular season, win your CCG against presumably a very good to great team, and then win TWO more games back to back against the real national powers.

I've made the point before, but expanding the playoffs makes it harder for teams like TCU to actually WIN a national title. Because the more teams there are, the less chance you have of "backing in" to a title, and that's a heck of a lot easier than beating 2 or 3 blue blood national powers in a row. And let's face it, that option was kind of there before the old BCS system was blown up. It was really there prior to the BCS when a BYU could win it. Almost no way in hell that could happen today.

jake102

OK, let's just agree to disagree about Boykin. I think our overall track record in developing QBs as of late has been very poor, bordering on awful. I'll leave it at that.

Disagree on Boykin and heavily agree on our QB development. Total garbage. But we gave offers to Sawyer, Muehlstein and Wooten who had serious question marks so that’s a bad start

HFrog12

We honestly had a much better chance under the old format. We finished 2nd or 3rd in the country one year having only played a few P5 teams, that could never happen now. Now, to win a national title you have to lose one game at most in the regular season, win your CCG against presumably a very good to great team, and then win TWO more games back to back against the real national powers.

I've made the point before, but expanding the playoffs makes it harder for teams like TCU to actually WIN a national title. Because the more teams there are, the less chance you have of "backing in" to a title, and that's a heck of a lot easier than beating 2 or 3 blue blood national powers in a row. And let's face it, that option was kind of there before the old BCS system was blown up. It was really there prior to the BCS when a BYU could win it. Almost no way in hell that could happen today.

I agree with the all caps WIN part of your statement. Not only do you have to do everything you mentioned in conference but then you have to win a semi final on top of the championship game. However, the path to have the opportunity is certainly easier or more attainable. Yea we finished 2nd or 3rd but the BCS was NEVER going to put us in the game. In what years from 2014 to present does TCU get in over the two teams that played for the national championship? At least in those years there are two more spots to have the chance. So yes to win it all you have to have a miraculous season and win an extra semi-final game. But the realistic path to have the opportunity is far and away more attainable than the old system.

Wexahu

I agree with the all caps WIN part of your statement. Not only do you have to do everything you mentioned in conference but then you have to win a semi final on top of the championship game. However, the path to have the opportunity is certainly easier or more attainable. Yea we finished 2nd or 3rd but the BCS was NEVER going to put us in the game. In what years from 2014 to present does TCU get in over the two teams that played for the national championship? At least in those years there are two more spots to have the chance. So yes to win it all you have to have a miraculous season and win an extra semi-final game. But the realistic path to have the opportunity is far and away more attainable than the old system.

Agreed. The opportunity is obviously easier, and will become even easier when they expand the playoffs (which I think will happen pretty soon). Actually winning a title is much, much harder now.

TX_Krötenechse

Disagree on Boykin and heavily agree on our QB development. Total garbage. But we gave offers to Sawyer, Muehlstein and Wooten who had serious question marks so that’s a bad start
BUT SAWYER HAD AN OFFER FROM BAMA AND WOOTEN WAS THE BEST QUARTERBACK IN THE SEVENTH GRADE TEAM HE PLAYED FOR